Wedding 911

5000 budget

Cindarella wedding for about a 100 people what should I do

Re: 5000 budget

• Cindarella wedding for about a 100 people what should I do

Cut your guest list or lower your expectations.   You aren't going to have a big Cinderella ballroom wedding for 100 people with $5k.   You can have a beautiful and very nice wedding for that price. 

Buy a used dress. 

Consider park or VFW Hall stall venues

For food, consider pasta or bbq.

Cut back on flowers and other decor

Have a dry (no liquor) wedding

Have a lunch/brunch reception. Evening weddings tend to be more expensive, because you need to serve dinner.

Have a later afternoon cake & punch reception.  That means: ceremony around 2pm, end by 5:30pm.

• I agree with the PP's.

I think you also need to think about what "Cinderella wedding" means to you. Is it about the dress? The crowd? More?

With $5k, I'd probably go with a dry wedding. I'd also aim for a used dress. Plan on a DIY approach.

One of the best weddings I ever attended was in the backyard of someone's grandparent's home. A few kegs, an iPod and some speakers, burgers and hot dogs on the grill, and tables with mismatched tablecloths and dishes. They used hanging lights from trees (the kind painters use) and hired a few local college kids to clear plates and (I think) man the grill. There was nothing Cinderella about it but it was a fabulous party for a couple who couldn't have been happier.

Figure out what's important to you and go with that. Just remember to be the best host possible.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cambryncambryn member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I'm helping a friend with this same thing.

First off, you need to break down your priorities.
    As wandajune6 said, what makes it a 'Cinderella Wedding' for you?

If you have willing friends, your budget can be doable. Self-catering food, or finding very affordable food, makes it easier.

Morning wedding menus are MUCH more affordable, as they require less food, and you can easily buy fruits pastries etc. for a buffet- and keep your food budget to $500 or less.

Look at this list, and think about what you can get for free (friends/DIY/family etc.), what you don't need, and what you really feel is most important.
    venue
    band/dj
    food
    cakes
    alcohol
    decor
    flowers
    photographer
    videographer
    lighting
    chair / table
    dress
    suit
    hair and makeup
    nails
    paper for invites
    postage
    guest favors
    wedding rings

One book I really like is 'The broke-ass bride's wedding guide'- it has sample budgets that really help you think about the costs, and where to save.
  • My sister is having a Cinderella themed wedding.  Only it is in Disney world and there is nothing budget about it.  Here are some ideas that you can take from her wedding and still be budget friendly.
    1. No alcohol can be served.
    2. You should invite exactly 100 people.  It is unlikely that they will all come but you still need to budget for all people you invite.  By limiting your guest list to 100 people you have the potential for only 80 showing up thus saving you money.  
    3. Do away with save-the-dates, favors, up-lighting and other unnecessary add-ons.
    4. Incorporate ceremony decorations into the reception decor.
    5. Buy a ball gown style dress with a tiara from a cheaper designer.  (Try Allure bridals!)
    6. Host a plated dinner using chicken, fish and pasta as substitute to the more expensive meats.
    7. Use floor length linens provided by the venue and add a pop of color (blue) using a napkin that they already provide.
    8.  Use a full service venue during the off season (December, january, february, march).  You are more likely able to afford a more expensive venue during these times.  It may cost more to bring everything to a venue than if you were to just choose a standard catering hall.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait a year, save some more money and then get married with the wedding you really want.
  • What the heck is a Cinderella wedding?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You could probably find a dress on ebay (you may want to go a size up if it's coming from China and send your measurements) or as the other ladies suggested get a used gown or rent one. Getting married during the week while untraditional would be cheaper than a weekend wedding and have it dry as other's have suggested.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    OP, here is a suggestion for a proper wedding.  (Let's forget about Cinderella.)

Schedule an afternoon ceremony followed by a cake and punch reception.  No DJ, no dancing, Put as much money into refreshments as possible.  No tuxedos.
    Get your invitations from Vistaprint.com.  They do have a castle in the sky one.
    Buy your dress from David's Bridal, and get your veil on line.  Consider borrowing a veil from a friend.  Nobody will know or care, and you won't need it again.
    Have a very small wedding party, or none at all.
    Keep flowers very simple.  Daisies and carnations are budget friendly.
    Skip wedding favors and printed napkins.
    If you can't afford a professional photographer, as Uncle Dave to take pictures with his fancy camera.  I do recommend you getting a professional photographer if you can possibly afford it, though.

Your grandmother will think your wedding is perfectly charming, because hers was probably a lot like this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Don't be discouraged. I know that this is totally doable because I'm doing it myself. You do have to pick & choose what you really want. I'll just give you the example of our wedding coming up in September with a guest list of just over 100 people. I had to do a lot of work to find a venue that would be willing & able to accommodate what we wanted. We are having our wedding on a Saturday, but early. We found a venue where we can have the ceremony & reception together. The venue also includes a lot like linens and the cake. The ceremony will be at 11. Reception 11:30-3:30. We are having a brunch reception with just a mimosa station and a bloody mary station as opposed to a full open bar. We are having a photographer, but not videographer. We have a friend who is a DJ so we are getting a discount on that. Although, with brunch, I think we could have gotten away with a good playlist on an ipod. We trimmed our flower & centerpiece budget. I will have calla lilies in my bouquet, but the centerpieces are simple white hydrangeas in a glass bowl. We are forgoing programs & wedding favors. Shop around for your dress. David's Bridal might be okay, but I got my dress at a bridal salon. They were getting the spring line in so they were having a blowout sale. I got a gorgeous Alfred Angelo gown that I never dreamed I could have for a fraction of what it usually costs. Get your veil online. My groom & his guys will be in suits instead of tuxes. Having a wedding earlier in the day frees up a lot of money. It's really about priorities. I am confidant that we are going to have a beautiful wedding surrounded by those we love & won't be going into debt to do it. Good Luck!
  • CMGragain said:
    OP, here is a suggestion for a proper wedding.  (Let's forget about Cinderella.)

Schedule an afternoon ceremony followed by a cake and punch reception.  No DJ, no dancing, Put as much money into refreshments as possible.  No tuxedos.
    Get your invitations from Vistaprint.com.  They do have a castle in the sky one.
    Buy your dress from David's Bridal, and get your veil on line.  Consider borrowing a veil from a friend.  Nobody will know or care, and you won't need it again.
    Have a very small wedding party, or none at all.
    Keep flowers very simple.  Daisies and carnations are budget friendly.
    Skip wedding favors and printed napkins.
    If you can't afford a professional photographer, as Uncle Dave to take pictures with his fancy camera.  I do recommend you getting a professional photographer if you can possibly afford it, though.

Your grandmother will think your wedding is perfectly charming, because hers was probably a lot like this.
    This is almost exactly what my sister is doing for her upcoming wedding. She has rented a small venue which will hold her 35 guests for an afternoon wedding. The venue, which was $500 to rent, is a nice garden setting with a small hall holding the 6 tables that will fit her guests. She got her dress at David's for $600. She is not having a DJ as there is no dance floor anyway, and a good friend of hers who is a photographer is taking her pictures. The groomsmen are all wearing black suits that they already own, the bridesmaids are wearing black dresses that they already own. My sister's FMIL is doing her hair and makeup. It can definitely be done and everyone is excited about her wedding, no one cares that she is "doing it on a budget." I'm sure it will be beautiful and I know yours can be too.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards