November 2014 Weddings

Trick or treating

We're getting married on Nov 1 and have run into a little dilemma: Our rehearsal dinner is Halloween, aka when kids will be trick-or-treating. I don't really want to take this night away from the kids in our wedding, but there is little to our wedding that is Halloween-esque. Any ideas on how to give kids trick-or-treating without actually having it a part of our wedding? 

Re: Trick or treating

• Can you schedule your rehersal on a different day like on the 30th?
  • Nope. The church has a strict schedule with this. 
  • Can you schedual the rehearsal earlier in the day and have it end by trick or treat (which should start around 6pm at the earliest)
  • What time is the rehearsal scheduled for?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd try to work with the church and see if there is ANY way to do it another day. If you still need to do it on the 31st, hopefully it's early enough or late enough that the kids can still go trick-or-treating. Maybe instead of a typical rehearsal followed by a rehearsal dinner you could do a late lunch followed by a rehearsal, followed by a group trick-or-treating outing for an hour or so. 
  • Definitely not switching the date of the rehearsal with family out of town and the church's restrictions. Time of the rehearsal is 6 so we will be in the middle of trick or treating at that point.. No sense in having a late lunch rehearsal dinner then. I'm really more looking for alternative ideas.
  • Hmm.. Just throwing this out there.. Do the kids need to be at the rehearsal?  If your rehearsal is from 6-7:30, perhaps they could just come at 7/7:15? That way they could get a bit of trick-or-treating in, and not have to be there for the entire rehearsal (which might be boring to them).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hmm.. Just throwing this out there.. Do the kids need to be at the rehearsal?  If your rehearsal is from 6-7:30, perhaps they could just come at 7/7:15? That way they could get a bit of trick-or-treating in, and not have to be there for the entire rehearsal (which might be boring to them).

Only problem with that is a lot of parents enjoy taking their kids trick or treating. I take DS every year and it's pretty important that I take him and not someone else because it'sgreat bonding time with us (his bit day is around trick or treat so it's a special thing for us). Also the cities around me actually don't like holding trick or treat on weekend days because the kids want to stay out longer. The 31st this year lands on a Friday so I'd say our trick or treat will probably be on Thursday the 30th.

Unless you do some sort of trick or treat activity I don't see how there'd be a compromise or something that would be like trick or treat(so the kids wear their costumes and the adults hand out candy to them). You could talk to the parents and see if trick or treat is important to them and their kids..
  • The trick or treat event would be more during the dinner, nota part of your wedding and rehersal.
  • I had this same concern when picking my date. I wanted November 1st, but opted for the 8th so as not to ruin anyone's halloween.

How many kids are going to be effected? Maybe you can have a Halloween party as a rehearsal dinner. Encourage everyone to dress up and have lots and lots of candy for the kids...

• As someone else mentioned, some towns hold trick-or-treating on other days and not actually on Halloween itself. Maybe you can find a local town that will be doing it the day before, and encourage everyone to attend that who want's to trick or treat? 

Also, how old are the kids? If the rehearsal is at 6pm, maybe they can trick-or-treat from 5-6pm if they're on the younger side, and then attend the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner?  Or if you're going to have a quick rehearsal, go trick-or-treating between the rehearsal and the dinner. You could look into a local neighborhood you could just crash near the site of the rehearsal. 
  • I'm getting married on November 1st and my little sister is the only child in the wedding party so will be the only one missing out on trick or treating. She was upset when I first told her but she's gotten over it and I will be purchasing her some candy to soften the blow so to speak haha. Just keep in mind that most parents of these children probably assumed your rehearsal will take place on Halloween and they will all still be there anyways. It's one year, I think they will understand. If anything give them little goodie bags of candy and if that just can absolutely not happen let them not rehearse. Your wedding, your call. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards