Wedding Woes
Options

Just put on a damn sweater!

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited March 2014 in Wedding Woes
Our office has cold spots and hot spots and everyone wants a different temperature.

I try to just keep my mouth shut 90% of the time and put on a sweater or take off a sweater as needed.  Yes, it's annoying, but I wear big girl panties and deal with it.  Usually it's either a smidge chilly or just right in the am for me and then too damn hot in the afternoon for me.  I finally had to say something to management b/c it hit 82 degrees in here one afternoon about two weeks ago.  I'm in an inner cubicle, with no windows to open to cool it off and no fresh air circulating at all.  I can't tolerate that sort of temperature to work in.  

Now everyone is complaining that it's too cold.  None of them are wearing anything but short sleeves, thin shirts.  I don't get how hard it is to have a sweater that you just pull on.  I'm starting to get irritated b/c while I'm trying to be understanding of other people's comfort levels, I can't work in a damn sauna like other people would like either.  I tried to compromise at 72 already and these heifers were STILL complaining about the cold.  Put on a damn sweater!

Re: Just put on a damn sweater!

• Options
    I would be sweating balls at 72.  I can definitely deal if it's a little chilly, but I couldn't get any work done if I was too hot.  It would be different if I could get a breeze, but a stale inner cube?  I'd die.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    They're crybabies.
    I wear a sweater over my sweater on a semi-regular basis because if I tell maintenance to up the thermostat, they boil us out.  (and I have to account for the change in temp that 50 bodies can do to a room--so we set it so the room is comfy when full, which makes it chilly when empty)
  • Options
    The whackadoo climate change and people complaining about the office temps is one of the many reasons I love working from home.  I was always comfortable in the winter and would freeze in the summer in the office.  

I keep it cold during the day in the house to save energy and I put a sweater on.  ;) 
  • Options
    In the last 5 labs where I worked, it was so cold that no number of sweaters would help.  I keep the heat here at 85.
  • Options
    ^I would have real problems at 85.

• Options
    I'm used to having to pile on layers at home and at work because work is kept cold for obvious reasons and then at home, the dogs and husband bitch if it's above 72.

• Options
    We keep the house at 68.  I usually wear a sweater.  Our house just runs cold, it's part of the hardwood floor = sub floor curse.  It's why I keep trying to compromise, but what it's turning into is, "Varuna compromise to what everyone wants".  Well...no.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    85?! I really hate to be hot.  I can put on more layers, but there are only so many you can take off.  The house is at 66 in the winter and 82 in the summer (I'd go lower, but cheap wins).
  • Options
    I'm most comfortable at 68-70. We keep the house at 75-77 in the summer when we're not at home. I fight tooth and nail for no hotter than 73 when we are at home, because i'm really uncomfortable, otherwise. (DK complains because of the cost, but the energy saving measures we put into effect ~2 years ago have kept our summer cooling bills very "reasonable" - like 40% lower than before.)

• Options
    73 is my breaking point in the summer as well.  We run our fans constantly too.  
  • Options
    We can let it get to about 75 in the summer, but after that I get really uncomfortable and cranky.  We make do with the attic fan for as long as possible.  We're still feeling the loss of trees from the ice storm in 2007.
  • Options
    It gets so hot here during the summer. Plus, not going to work during June, July and part of August makes for a high utility bills, but I'm used to it. I deal better with it during the day than at night. I can not be hot when it's time to go to bed. Horrible.
  • Options
    We are on Day #2 of this now.

"Why can't we use our space heaters?!"  B/c you blow the damn fuses that's why.

"Why can't they give us heat?!"  No one has yet to just...put on a sweater. Guess who's sitting here in a sweater?  Moi.  Apparently I have a brain.
  • Options
    Ok I'm with you in the winter- people need to just put on a sweater and shut up. However, I can't stand when the A/C is blasting on 60 in the summer and I need a sweater. I would appreciate being able to wear god damn summer clothes in the summer lol

• Options
    For me, comfortable at home during the day is 74-76, but I have to keep it cooler during naptime because the boys' rooms are upstairs and there isn't a separate unit, which is annoying.

If it's just me at home doing some work at my computer, then it's 76. I'm not moving much, and I freeze when the cold air blows on me. I hate ceiling fans for that reason.

At night, we keep it at 70. I wear flannels to bed a lot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wait a minute, no space heaters are allowed?  Oh hell no.  That would not be acceptable to me.  I can deal with people turning the heat down to 70something as long as I can bundle in layers AND have my space heater.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yes, I have an illegal heater here too under my desk.
  • Options

Yes, I have an illegal heater her too under my desk.

:::pets her illegal under the desk space heater:::

Don't blame me for the building's electrical and keeping the temperature at optimal dudes-in-suit-jackets temperature.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Dharma, mine is three years old, and now I can't turn it on high. It gets a bit smoky. I'm going to have to get a new one soon.
  • Options
    It's nearing spring, you might get a good sale :)
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    They can't have space heaters, b/c it blows the fuse.

I nearly came unglued last year when they lost an hour's worth of work for me.  The autosave had caught most of it, but I was still pissed.

Our issue isn't that one person likes this temperature, etc., it's that the actual temperature control system sucks.
  • Options
    I love working from home. My thyroid is messed up, and I'm really temperature sensitive. 75* is wonderful. I lived in a sweater, sweatshirt and blanket at work.
  • Options
    FI is happy with the thermostat at 60 in the winter. i'm getting used to piling on the fleece blankets and sweatshirts (especially with the FRIGID winter new england has had this winter!) I grew up with the heat set around 70-72. He works a lot of 24 hour shifts...those nights i sneak it up to about 66 or 68... ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards