Plus-Sized
Options

Not sure about my dress :(

Hi ladies... I figured I would vent my frustrations here as everyone always has good advice. I got engaged in February 2013 and bought my dress in May 2013. In my opinion I went dress shopping wayyyy too early! I was overwhelmed and I didn't try on as many dresses as I'd hoped. I only tried on the styles I liked, so I immediately limited myself. I wish I'd tried on every style! What is really bothering me about my dress (and I have NO idea how I didn't notice it when I bought it) is that it shows everything about my mid section that I hate. I may also see if my seamstress is able to put some sort of panel in that area to smooth things out.

Every other dress I tried on completely flattened me out which was awesome but this one is horrible in that spot. It is a beautiful dress but that area is killing me. I bought a longline bra type thing but it's not the most comfortable and I honestly don't think I could wear it for a whole day, and I really don't know if it would do the trick because I wore the same longline bra when I tried on the dress, and when I look back at the pictures from that day, that area is still sketchy. 

I know I'm not the only one who's gone through this. My problem is, my wedding is in 3 1/2 months so my options at this point are pretty limited. I do have two appointments for this Saturday at a couple bridal shops in my city, as I can buy off the rack, but again I'm limited to what I can buy. I'm hoping I'll either find something I absolutely fall in love with, or it'll confirm for me that the one I bought is the one for me. 

Thanks for listening :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not sure about my dress :(

• Options
    Have you tried trying on the dress with spanx?  that would help smooth you out.   Do you have pictures of you in your dress? Maybe we can help come up with some shapewear ideas.
  • Options
    Yes here it is.... I don't know if my mid section is such an annoyance for me because the corset on my dress is pulling my waist in so much that it makes that part look bigger? I don't know....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Could it be that it's too small? I originally was measured for a size 22 which was a little big, then I lost a bit of weight and was swimming in it, so they let me exchange it for a 20. Well 2 weeks later when the new size came in (you know how fast David's Bridal are lol), I put it on and it was a bit too small.... even though the sample was a 20 a fit perfect. Now I realize it was probably because it was stretched out from being tried on so many times.... so maybe if it's let out a bit (it only needs about an inch or a bit more). 

Mind you this picture is from when I had the sample size 20 on that's been stretched, and the pic of me from last weekend with the dress on doesn't look as bad, but it could all be the lighting. 

I'm going crazy ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it looks terrible and the dress is beautiful! But if it makes you self conscious I think spanks or something like that would smooth it all down. Does it FEEL tight?
  • Options
    Yes it's snug! I mean it does up and everything and there's no gaps in the back but I could probably do with a teeny tiny bit more breathing room!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It does look like it's a TINY bit too small, but I think it looks gorgeous.  Are you wearing spanx or shapewear in the photo?  If not, you should get some.  They will smooth your hips and tummy out. I swear by the "higher power" spanx shorts.

I think if you had the corset loosened just a tiny bit though, you wouldn't be feeling like it was so snug around your belly.

Keep in mind, the samples at the store have been tried on 1,000 times, so they are stretched out a lot.  So, if the sample size 20 fit you perfectly, the one you actually get in a 20 will be tighter.

I don't think you need a bigger size. I think you just might need better shapewear and loosen up the corset a tiny bit.

• Options
    No, I'm not wearing anything under the dress in this photo. I'm going to get some spanx this weekend and see how it goes! Thanks ladies, I do feel better now hearing internet strangers opinions :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You are beautiful!

I think shapewear might make you feel better but you already look adorable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Jen1051 said:
    No, I'm not wearing anything under the dress in this photo. I'm going to get some spanx this weekend and see how it goes! Thanks ladies, I do feel better now hearing internet strangers opinions :)

oh seriously, if you aren't wearing anything under the dress in this photo, even some control top panties will make a HUGE difference.   You might not even need to do the whole spanx thing, if you don't want to. 

Try your dress on with spanx, and just with some smoothing panties and see how you feel.  It will likely make a huge difference. 

Good luck! And try not to stress. You look gorgeous.

• Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Now I can't wait to get the spanx and get my dress on and see how it changes everything.

I can't believe I was thinking about getting a new dress!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The dress is gorgeous and so are you in it! I feel your pain with the undergarments and never know what will work but I definitely think that will be your solution! Good luck!

• Options
    If you need a Spanx that's on crack, look for a "Faja Colombiana"  they are girdles, totally worth the price.  I purchased mine through a local store at the mall but am not using it for the wedding since my dress doesn't need me to hide it.  I use it for other dresses though.  
  • Options
    holy crap!  See !!!  I'm so glad you got some. The dress looks fabulous !   It looked great before, but that little bit of smoothing makes a dramatic difference! 
  • Options
    holy crap!  See !!!  I'm so glad you got some. The dress looks fabulous !   It looked great before, but that little bit of smoothing makes a dramatic difference! 
    Isn't it crazy!! It feels so much better now. I also have a very short torso so there is too much dress for me up top. I held the dress about 2 inches higher on my body than normal as it was tied up and the difference in fit was insane... It feels better because I think the dress is sitting where it should be. Now it's actually too lose around my hips. The corset is tied as close as it can go at the bottom of the opening and it needs to be tighter. You should see the before and after pics of what the back looks like. Looks like I've lost 10 lbs! So hopefully my seamstress can work her magic!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen1051 said:
    Isn't it crazy!! It feels so much better now. I also have a very short torso so there is too much dress for me up top. I held the dress about 2 inches higher on my body than normal as it was tied up and the difference in fit was insane... It feels better because I think the dress is sitting where it should be. Now it's actually too lose around my hips. The corset is tied as close as it can go at the bottom of the opening and it needs to be tighter. You should see the before and after pics of what the back looks like. Looks like I've lost 10 lbs! So hopefully my seamstress can work her magic!

Oh yeah, holding it up where it should be and the spanx made a huge difference. I'm sure your seamstress can make it work.  My boobs are HUGE.  I fit a 14 in my waist, a 16 in my hips and a size 20 in my bust.  I had to have almost 5 inches taken in around the waist. They can do amazing things. :)

• Options
    @Jen1051 - Wow that's a HUGE difference, you look great! 

Side Note:  I tried that dress on and loved it - it just didn't really fit my vision (I wanted a princess dress to the max).  Did they show you all the bustle options with it?  The "royal bustle" was really pretty on it!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Dignity100 - Thanks! No they didn't show me the bustle option.... now I have to google the royal bustle! I wasn't going to get a bustle but I don't really feel like having the little thing wrapped around my wrist all night. I'm also getting a sweetheart neckline done, I don't like how it just goes straight across!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wore spanx when I picked up my dress and my sister thought I had lost weight until I told her I was pre-spanxed!  They are amazing...not that comfy but totally worth the smoothness you get especially on your wedding day.  The dress looks fab!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You look FANTASTIC! I love it!
  • Options
    Wow! What a difference. It doesn't even look like the same dress, fit wise. Beautiful!
  • Options
    LOVE it! See what a little spanx can do!!!!!!!!!! It looks amazing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HOLY CRAP!!!
    I can't believe the difference!
    I'm a big spanx believer to start with but it looks AMAZING on you!
  • Options
    Look at that shape!  Gorgeous!
  • Options
    Beautiful!!!
  • Options
    You look amazing
  • Options

You look gorgeous!!!

I tried on that dress at David's and it was in my top 3 for a long time. It's a wonderful dress. It has a little bit of everything. It has the tulle at the bottom in the split, it has lace, it has beading, it has ruching and a bit of asymmetry going on. It's such an interesting dress.

I'm so glad that the spanx worked so well for you. I have always wanted some "super shapewear" but I've never splurged and bought it. I only have some light shapewear that doesn't do a lot of heavy lifting, if you know what I mean. Seeing your results with your dress, I might have to try it for myself!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    @jen1051 Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my jaw dropped at the difference.  Just wanted you to know that!  You look FAN-tastic. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards