Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

"Declines with regrets"?

I am finalizing our invites, etc. and the RSVP card includes the following wording:

____  accepts with pleasure

____  declines with regrets

Is it just me (or the DayQuil), or does the second one sound off?  Should it be declines with regret (singular?)  Or is it assuming two people declining, in which case "regret(s)" might be preferable?

Re: "Declines with regrets"?

• Options
    It should be just regret.
  • Options

Thanks, thought so

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I personally prefer "accepts" and "declines"  I think "with regret" is presumptive. You can use whichever you want, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I personally prefer "accepts" and "declines"  I think "with regret" is presumptive. You can use whichever you want, though.
    Or you could give the option to happily accept, regretfully decline, regretfully accept, or happily decline.  That should cover all bases.

• Options
    nicoann said:
    CMGragain said:
    Or you could give the option to happily accept, regretfully decline, regretfully accept, or happily decline.  That should cover all bases.
    No, don't try to co-opt someone's emotions about their RSVP.  That really crosses boundaries inappropriately.  Just use "accepts" and "declines." 
  • Options
    Yeah, I prefer just accepts/ declines or will/ will not attend.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    nicoann said:
    CMGragain said:
    No, don't try to co-opt someone's emotions about their RSVP.  That really crosses boundaries inappropriately.  Just use "accepts" and "declines." 

I thought that was sarcasm.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    nicoann said:
    CMGragain said:

I thought that was sarcasm.
    No indication of it.
  • Options
    I like just accepts or declines.  i always felt "with pleasure" or "with regrets" as presumptuous. 

There are some weddings I've declined with pleasure and accepted with regrets.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ditto PPs that I'm not a fan of any added emotion on the response cards.
  • Options
    mine says ____ attending
                       ____ not attending

then under it it lists our menu choices

____  twin stuffed lobster tails ____prime rib
    ____  chicken francaise ____eggplant parmigiana

i had to proof read ours so many times and make sure i looked up spelling as the company we used theamericanwedding wanted an extra 25$ for a digital proof
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards