Honeymoon Discussions
Options

OCTOBER HONEYMOON HELP!!!

As an October 2014 bride I am having such a hard time picking a honeymoon spot. I had no idea this would be such a problem. We were set on the Greek islands not taking into consideration the weather in Europe in October. I hear it's the perfect weather but not if you're into the beach scene which we are. Being within range of our future wedding time of year I checked the weather for the next 2 weeks and it's lower 70s. So sadly we had to eliminate. :( Next, we fell in love with St. Bart's. I looked into it sooo much and set my heart on Eden Rock resort there. Researching and researching, that resort was a must for us. I check dates & get in touch with hotel only to find out they close sept and reopen mid-oct, so I'd have to wait a couple of days after my wedding to go. We figured no problem, well do something small those first few days like Miami just to fill up the time between. However, next they don't have any options with only 1 type of room left and it wasn't anything we were interested in. It's our honeymoon, I want ocean not garden view, I want a suite of some sort not a basic room. So I ask them when suites are available where I'll have my choice, not for a month after!!! So there goes that too. :( We have no desire for Mexico, Hawaii, or europe. He's been to Italy & obv it's the same issue with Greece. Plus I'd like to experience a place for the first time together. Other parts of caribbean do not interest us as we both combined have been to most and both agree none are honeymoon worthy. Especially because Aruba is our FAVORITE island. We feel it's the best island and we've been there so how can we go anywhere else just as good. Also, i know it's hurricane season in Caribbean as well and I don't want to chance it, I was really only opting to take that chance with st Bart's. Next option looking into is the French Polynesia (bora bora, moorea, etc..) I have mixed emotions on this- 1. I hear it's gorgeous and romantic and everything a honeymoon should be BUT it is boring!!! (hence the nickname "boring boring") I've heard this numerous times. I mean I'm all about relaxing and doing nothing on vaca but to an extent. Especially we want to do a 2 week trip. Knowing this I thought of maybe splitting it up like FP for a week, then cali/Vegas split into the next week. (also to break up the flying since we're from NY) but again, Cali & Vegas are on the cooler side this time of year too. So back to FP, restaurants- good/bad?many options? Getting around? Nightlife? I want any and all feedback. I don't need much nightlife but after dinner if we want to have drinks somewhere I'd like to have that option- I hear that is not really an option there, not even hotel bars. Day excursions? Spas? Water sports? I'm just looking for all info. Future hubby is not psyched about all these set backs leaving FP as the last option due to the flight and him hearing how boring it could be. All I hear is "I'm not flying that far to be bored"... He is right. I would do something really exotic like Africa or Australia or Maldives but I'd be going alone, lol. That is a no go for him. A delayed honeymoon crossed my mind to be able to get to the Greek islands but I'd like to be on baby mode right after wedding so I don't want to wait any longer, or take that chance, especially we'd have to wait 6-9 months for it to be warm enough. Back to st Bart's- do we just do something small right after then wait till November when st Bart's the way we want it is available? This is another option but I don't want to lose that wedding-high, honeymoon feel a month later? I'm so lost. Please help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: OCTOBER HONEYMOON HELP!!!

• Options
    edited September 2013
    KM0427 said:
    As an October 2014 bride I am having such a hard time picking a honeymoon spot. I had no idea this would be such a problem. We were set on the Greek islands not taking into consideration the weather in Europe in October. I hear it's the perfect weather but not if you're into the beach scene which we are. Being within range of our future wedding time of year I checked the weather for the next 2 weeks and it's lower 70s. So sadly we had to eliminate. :( Next, we fell in love with St. Bart's. I looked into it sooo much and set my heart on Eden Rock resort there. Researching and researching, that resort was a must for us. I check dates & get in touch with hotel only to find out they close sept and reopen mid-oct, so I'd have to wait a couple of days after my wedding to go. We figured no problem, well do something small those first few days like Miami just to fill up the time between. However, next they don't have any options with only 1 type of room left and it wasn't anything we were interested in. It's our honeymoon, I want ocean not garden view, I want a suite of some sort not a basic room. So I ask them when suites are available where I'll have my choice, not for a month after!!! So there goes that too. :( We have no desire for Mexico, Hawaii, or europe. He's been to Italy & obv it's the same issue with Greece. Plus I'd like to experience a place for the first time together. Other parts of caribbean do not interest us as we both combined have been to most and both agree none are honeymoon worthy. Especially because Aruba is our FAVORITE island. We feel it's the best island and we've been there so how can we go anywhere else just as good. Also, i know it's hurricane season in Caribbean as well and I don't want to chance it, I was really only opting to take that chance with st Bart's. Next option looking into is the French Polynesia (bora bora, moorea, etc..) I have mixed emotions on this- 1. I hear it's gorgeous and romantic and everything a honeymoon should be BUT it is boring!!! (hence the nickname "boring boring") I've heard this numerous times. I mean I'm all about relaxing and doing nothing on vaca but to an extent. Especially we want to do a 2 week trip. Knowing this I thought of maybe splitting it up like FP for a week, then cali/Vegas split into the next week. (also to break up the flying since we're from NY) but again, Cali & Vegas are on the cooler side this time of year too. So back to FP, restaurants- good/bad?many options? Getting around? Nightlife? I want any and all feedback. I don't need much nightlife but after dinner if we want to have drinks somewhere I'd like to have that option- I hear that is not really an option there, not even hotel bars. Day excursions? Spas? Water sports? I'm just looking for all info. Future hubby is not psyched about all these set backs leaving FP as the last option due to the flight and him hearing how boring it could be. All I hear is "I'm not flying that far to be bored"... He is right. I would do something really exotic like Africa or Australia or Maldives but I'd be going alone, lol. That is a no go for him. A delayed honeymoon crossed my mind to be able to get to the Greek islands but I'd like to be on baby mode right after wedding so I don't want to wait any longer, or take that chance, especially we'd have to wait 6-9 months for it to be warm enough. Back to st Bart's- do we just do something small right after then wait till November when st Bart's the way we want it is available? This is another option but I don't want to lose that wedding-high, honeymoon feel a month later? I'm so lost. Please help!

Well, that was a crazy mouthful! However, the phrase "Boring Boring" couldn't be any further from the truth. I'm heading there next month,along with other islands in French Polynesia. It will be my SIXTH time and I haven't even scratched the surface as far as activities. You can do as little or as much as you want in Bora Bora. I also highly recommend checking out Moorea. Moorea tends to have more land based activities along with those focused on the water. Yes, it's a long flight (8 hours from LAX), but well worth it IMHO. Budget will play a huge roll in any destination you should consider- how much are you looking to spend? I'd also file Australia as exrtemely far from boring. We spent 2.5 weeks there for our DW/HM and never even left the Great Barrier Reef region. I'm not sure where you are getting this information from, but I highly recommend checking out these websites for all of the things these destinations offer:

www.tahiti-tourism.com

http://www.australia.com/

FWIW- St. Barths and the Greek Isles are very different from one another. Also, I consider St. Barths to be a little bit low key, so I think you'd struggle to keep active there.

Also, check out St. Lucia- Ladera, Jalousie, Anse Chastenet, Sugar Beach.

ETA: added info

• Options
    Another thought- I think you need to consider Hawaii and Mexico. I'm not sure why you are automatically shutting them out when they are great destinations. There are some amazing luxury resorts in both places. Cabo is a lot like Aruba- it has that desert apperance but with the beach. The Riviera Maya in Mexico has a ton of culture and ruins, along with gorgeous beaches. Hawaii has so much to offer and each island is different and full of stuff to explore.

• Options
    I'm September 2014 and I'm almost positive we're going to Belize. This place looks awesome:

FI is not into just laying around on our HM. I want adventure too. We also crossed out any of the places we're been before: Mexico, Jamaica, St. Lucia, Bahamas, etc. 

I'm looking into Costa Rica as well. 
  • Options
    Hi I went to Belize and i didnt like it theres not much to do. Try researching other places I would recommend Costa rica ive never been there but its beautiful!! good luck
  • Options
    I know you said you weren't interested in most of the other Caribbean islands; have you looked into the French Caribbean islands, in particular Martinique? I've been there multiple times and loved it each time. There's plenty to do: black sand beaches, white sand beaches, hiking, sightseeing at the volcano, shopping, and there are many upscale resorts as well that would have spas, etc. (The Sofitel in particular is a favorite).
  • Options
    I'm an October 2014 bride too, and you're right in thinking you should avoid the Caribbean.  Anything in the Atlantic Ocean is subject to hurricanes at this time, and I've heard October is particularly bad according to almost all the travel people I have talked to.  We've already decided on Hawaii, which you don't want to do, but if you don't want to be bored, my suggestion would be to island hop. Spend a few days here and a few days there, just so you can keep moving and doing things. 
  • Options
    rsbloom said:

I'm an October 2014 bride too, and you're right in thinking you should avoid the Caribbean.  Anything in the Atlantic Ocean is subject to hurricanes at this time, and I've heard October is particularly bad according to almost all the travel people I have talked to.  We've already decided on Hawaii, which you don't want to do, but if you don't want to be bored, my suggestion would be to island hop. Spend a few days here and a few days there, just so you can keep moving and doing things. 

October is also hurricane season for Hawaii as well. Hawaii doesn't get the hurricane hype as much as the Caribbean because they rarely get hit. When they don't get hit, October actually has lovely weather! But, to say it's completely safe is not accurate. I'd still purchase insurance (if you haven't) just in case.

• Options
    Check out Costa Rica-- Manuel Antonio area is amazing, the people are super friendly and it is gorgeous!  Como Si No is a great resort.  It's also really fun to rent a house and can be cheaper. 
  • Options
        I would strongly suggest southwest Asia. It's tropical, safe, beautiful, affordable, and the culture is amazing.  I went on a trip to Cambodia this year and it was the most amazing trip of my life. I've also heard amazing things about Thailand, Indonesia, and Myanmar (Burma). The weather that time of year is great. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi what did you end up deciding? I too am a October 2014 bride and we are deciding between bora bora, maldives and fiji.
  • Options
    My fiancé and I are getting married on October 18th this year and are planning on French Polynesia. We too had our hearts set on Greece but it felt like a miss to go when we couldn't enjoy the beach and hot weather, so Tahiti and Bora bora, here we come!
  • Options
    Cruise?  You could see a variety of places and do different activities.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards