Canada

Wedding Social

britneydelbritneydel member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
edited March 2014 in Canada
I'm not sure how many here are having or have had a wedding social, but I am a Manitoban, so a social is a big thing.
I just have a few quick questions:

How exactly does the wedding social planning work?
My fiance's mom is telling us that our wedding party is supposed to be the ones planning the social. But we don't have a wedding party yet as our wedding is still 18 months away, and we don't have many close friends at the moment.

Is it wrong for us to plan our own wedding social?
Due to our wedding date (September 26th, 2015) our social is going to be roughly 4-6 months before, making it during prime social season. So we need to be making bookings of our social venue and dj now (roughly a year in advance) before everything is booked up.

We have told his parents that we are starting to get in contact with venues and a dj to start booking/planning our social, and they make it out to be completely wrong. I know in a way it's just their opinion. I am far from a traditional bride so I myself see nothing wrong with it. I would personally feel bad having the wedding party planning it- It's an event for my fiance and I, I wouldn't want to put the stress of planning it onto other people.
But how do others feel about the couple planning their own social?

Re: Wedding Social

• I'm not sure how many here are having or have had a wedding social, but I am a Manitoban, so a social is a big thing.
    I just have a few quick questions:

How exactly does the wedding social planning work?
    My fiance's mom is telling us that our wedding party is supposed to be the ones planning the social. But we don't have a wedding party yet as our wedding is still 18 months away, and we don't have many close friends at the moment.

Is it wrong for us to plan our own wedding social?
    Due to our wedding date (September 26th, 2015) our social is going to be roughly 4-6 months before, making it during prime social season. So we need to be making bookings of our social venue and dj now (roughly a year in advance) before everything is booked up.

We have told his parents that we are starting to get in contact with venues and a dj to start booking/planning our social, and they make it out to be completely wrong. I know in a way it's just their opinion. I am far from a traditional bride so I myself see nothing wrong with it. I would personally feel bad having the wedding party planning it- It's an event for my fiance and I, I wouldn't want to put the stress of planning it onto other people.
    But how do others feel about the couple planning their own social?
    I've never heard of a wedding social.  Can you describe it please??  As for planning your own events, it's pretty frowned on as you're basically asking people to buy you gifts and celebrate you.  I'm more lenient with stagettes, as they're more about going out and partying, but I can understand how others could be offended by it.  

Anyone can throw you a wedding party (shower, luncheon, stagette) though, so if you feel it will be too much work for your WP, parents, grandparents, aunts, friends etc. can also offer to throw you a party.  You also don't need to have pre-wedidng parties if no one offers.  I didn't have an engagement party, and my best friend didn't have a shower, though I offered to throw one for her.  

• A social is to celebrate the couple, but it isn't asking for gifts. It's a a fundraiser in a way, but more just a party to get together with friends/family that may not be invited to the wedding.
    You typically just rent out a community center for a night, sell very cheap alcohol drinks to your guests, have a bunch of raffle prizes, door prizes, a 50/50, provide food and snacks, and have a dj so your guests can just drink and dance all night.

We won't be having an engagement party, bridal shower or anything else.
    The social is the only thing besides our actual wedding.

• Hi Britney, are you also on Wedding Wire? Just curious because there is another girl from Winnipeg who is also having her wedding on the same date (like us! ).

Anyway, I'm in the middle of planning my social and can answer your questions! PM me!
  • Thanks for the explanation, but honestly, I'd be offended if someone asked me to help fundraise for their wedding.  I paid for my own, why can't others??  As well, being invited to a wedding related event but not the wedding tells me I'm important enough to give you money, but not important enough to celebrate your wedding with you??  If you need help with planning something on a budget, check out the budget boards.  The ladies there are amazing with ideas on doing cheap but amazing weddings.  

• Thanks for the explanation, but honestly, I'd be offended if someone asked me to help fundraise for their wedding.  I paid for my own, why can't others??  As well, being invited to a wedding related event but not the wedding tells me I'm important enough to give you money, but not important enough to celebrate your wedding with you??  If you need help with planning something on a budget, check out the budget boards.  The ladies there are amazing with ideas on doing cheap but amazing weddings.  
    From my understanding having a social isn't so much about the raising of the money Its more about the 'social' part of it. There isn't much to do in those parts so this adds to the social calender.

• I am from Winnipeg and everyone I know who has had a social has planned it themselves. I personally do not believe in socials so I am not having one myself.

• I live in Manitoba, but am originally from Alberta. My FI is from Manitoba. I don't understand socials, and he doesn't like them, so we're not having one... my understanding, though, is that the couple plans it themselves. @britneydel, do you have any friends or family members who were married recently who could help you with details?
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards