Wedding Party

Oh the Junior Bridesmaid

My eight-year-old niece is going to be our flower girl. At my bridal shower I introduced her as such and she told me that she thought she was going to be like a bridesmaid. I asked her which job she would like, if she would like to walk down the aisle holding flowers like the rest of the girls, or if she'd like a special job and come in right in front of me and throw flowers. She said that she wanted to be a junior bridesmaid who threw flowers.

Now, I know a lot of people here take issue with the title of Junior Bridesmaid. It was never my intention to have a junior bridesmaid, but she somehow heard that they exist and that is what she wants to be. Her role is that of a flower girl, but she wants to be called a bridesmaid. She's just a kid and I'd rather she just be proud of what she does on our wedding day than stress out over titles. I'm sure there will be a few eye raises when she is announced as such at the reception, but other than that, I don't see any issues with calling her a junior bridesmaid. It just seems like a better solution to me than telling a kid that she can't be what she wants to be.

Re: Oh the Junior Bridesmaid

• Hey, it was her idea to be a junior bridesmaid. If it'll make her happy, why not?
  • When I was a pre-teen a friend of mine was a Jr Bridesmaid and I just thought that was the coolest thing ever!!! I think that stuck with me because I never thought it was rude or anything, from a kid's view it seemed like such an honor! 

Anniversary
  • My niece was 9 when I asked her to be in my wedding and I gave her a choice to her title and she chose Jr BM too!
  • Since she wants to be a junior bridesmaid, go ahead and call her a junior bridesmaid.
  • I only hold issues with brides who have to name children between the ages of X and Y junior bridesmaids because of their age and that they "can't do what is required of regular BMs."  I do not have a problem with a bride calling a young girl a junior bridesmaid because that is what the young girl asked to be called.

Agreed. My daughter is a bridesmaid and she calls herself a Junior Bridesmaid. It's cute, she likes it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SBmini said:
    My eight-year-old niece is going to be our flower girl. At my bridal shower I introduced her as such and she told me that she thought she was going to be like a bridesmaid. I asked her which job she would like, if she would like to walk down the aisle holding flowers like the rest of the girls, or if she'd like a special job and come in right in front of me and throw flowers. She said that she wanted to be a junior bridesmaid who threw flowers.

Now, I know a lot of people here take issue with the title of Junior Bridesmaid. It was never my intention to have a junior bridesmaid, but she somehow heard that they exist and that is what she wants to be. Her role is that of a flower girl, but she wants to be called a bridesmaid. She's just a kid and I'd rather she just be proud of what she does on our wedding day than stress out over titles. I'm sure there will be a few eye raises when she is announced as such at the reception, but other than that, I don't see any issues with calling her a junior bridesmaid. It just seems like a better solution to me than telling a kid that she can't be what she wants to be.
    Which does she want to be called, a junior bridesmaid or a bridesmaid?
  • She's fine with junior bridesmaid. That's what she's going to be called.

• The only reason people don't like the title "junior bridesmaid" is because it's condescending to the person.  If she's happy with it, it's fine.

Personally, I've always thought this mattered much more with a pre-teen or teen than with an 8 year old.  
  • If she picked the title and is OK with it, then more power to you and her!

She'll be adorable, and she'll be happy, and she'll always remember being included in your special day, so that's what matters. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards