40-Plus Brides

Reception - DJ? But, I'm old....

August wedding, stressing about the reception, trying to stay on budget (low budget - rather frugal) - and I cannot decide about a dj for the reception.  There will be a dance floor area set up if I choose.  Most of our guests are in the 40-50+ crowd.  I honestly have never been to a wedding reception with dancing, etc.  But, this is my second wedding and it seems like from 27 years ago - so much has changed.  Most of these "wedding" type sites cater to those much younger brides and that just isn't me.  Although I am grateful to feel much smarter than I was 27 years ago! (and happier too!)

So - I want music and can perhaps set up an ipod or pandora to play background and a very small cost.  Or, on the chance that someone may want to dance would you just turn it over to a DJ?  I am sort of intrigued about the "first dance" and even purchased a groupon for 3 couple dance lessons for $28.  See, neither me nor my future husband are really dancers. 

A bewildered soon to be bride - who is amazed at how weddings have changed.  Also thinking who ever came up with the idea of wedding favors is probably related to the one who came up with gift bags for kids birthday parties.  And, a wedding planner - did they even have those 27 years ago?  And, no, I don't have one now either.  :-)

Thanks for anyone's opinions/input!

Re: Reception - DJ? But, I'm old....

• oh and to clarify - reception will be cocktail/dinner at 6ish (reception a gift from a friend) - a very good friend to have!  Just I don't want to make her pay for a DJ too.... 

• A nice thing about a DJ is they can customize the music to your guests. We had the dj play "Rat Pack" era music during dinner so there was some nice background music. If your guests are older and into more of the classis & polkas, let the DJ know so he can make sure to have a nice variety of that music. Think of your crowd, if you think that some nice slow dances or even update songs would be a big hit, then go for it. If you are more about some good background music, because no one is really into dancing, the an Ipod will do a great job (just make sure whatever you plug it into has a good speaker)
  • We got married, had the meal, cut the cake, ate the cake, everyone left.  We didn't mess with dancing/music/dj.
  • My DH and I met at dance class. We were just shy of 50 when we got married 3 years ago. We had a band because in Austin they are cheap. I would ot for the DJ so the music can be custozed for the crowd. Most will want 50's and 60's music, especially swing as it is easy to dance to.  ad a younger friend get married who had an expensive band. hey played 80's music which was no good for couples dancing. So it was just the bride and bridesmaids jumping around on the dance floor. With a DJ they could also take requests from the guests which an ipod could not do. But do consider if ou can afford this. We would stay longer at a reception with dancable music.
  • We're using the ipod, speaker route. Our crowd is all ages but it's a back yard reception/celebration and a bit informal. 
  • Thanks for the replies!  As an update, my brother as a client who is a DJ and he barter'ed the service!  I rec'd an email from the DJ to pick my music and a ton of handouts and the best line, "and everything has been taken care of!"

My fairy tale is so coming true! And... I think I have found a photographer who has cut her fees for us.  
    I feel like the most blessed and lucky bride in the world.  132 more days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards