Second Weddings

dress difficulties

With this being my second wedding I didn't really care if I had a big wedding or not, however..my current fiance hasn't been married an wants the big wedding. Which I am not opposed to since we both have such large families and a lot of close friends (it would be hard to make cuts). My issue has been finding a dress. I have went to 5 different bridal salons and still have no idea what I want. My first wedding was fairly traditional so I had a traditional dress. I thought that this time I wanted something a little less traditional and fun but I have tried on a little bit of everything and am still so undecided. This wedding is going to take place in a large Catholic church so I don't want anything to out there.
My question is ....Has anyone else had difficulties finding a dress they loved? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and defeated...:-(

Re: dress difficulties

• edited November 2013
    I found a dress on Black Friday. I didn't love it at first but it was super on sale and they were running an additional BF deal...and mom started crying when I came out. So I bought it - actually dad bough it for me as my wedding gift. Ended up loving as much as I think I can love a dress. I got a pageant gown, no train - it was perfect for me. I don't know that I ever loved it as much as my first dress - I think that's not an uncommon feeling.

Side note - how awful was that annulment?? Worst essay test I ever took :-p I'm Catholic too, got the annulment, but didn't marry in the church the second time.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Oh My!!! That annulment process sucks! Its so time consuming and the amount of times they ask you the same questions is ridiculous! I was never baptized but am now taking the classes to do so. He was baptized as a kid in the church we are getting married at. I was married in a church the first time so the process is a pain.
  • The process and more specifically being asked the same (rude & condescending) question over and over again in my "interrogation" (for real) is one of the major reasons why I opted not to get married in the church the second time. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Oh the dress drama - did that.  Ended up winning my dress, feel in love with the sample decided it was the one.  When it arrived drop shipped to my house (not to a salon or shop) it was sewn incorrectly.  Satin streamers were added (there weren't any on the sample), it was an A-line (the sample was a mermaid or trumpet) and the manufacturer refused to make the situation right.  I was blogging for them at the time, so I posted the truth about the dress they deleted my account and said I could keep the dress.  It should have cost over $500.00 in alterations but the seamstress gave me a quote for much less and she honored it. 

By the time we were married I hated the damn thing but it looked great.  Before winning the gown though I was having a hard time finding something that worked within our budget, I did find a salon and salon owner that I really liked and her pricing was fair - she ended up being my seamstress. 

I wish you all the luck in finding your dress.  

One manufacturer I would advise you to steer clear of is Mon Cheri Bridals and all of their designers - that is where the dress came from and I was cautioned by the boutique owner that did my initial fitting (she was closing) that their gowns are notorious for coming in completely wrong and needing a lot of work. She was right. 
  • Jennifer - picking the right gown doesn't have to be overwhelming. You know the styles that highlight your best features in a regular dress. Go down the line and figure out the neckline, waist, sleeve length, and skirt length that you like. Decide if you want simple or fancy. Then, start looking online. Many sites like rosaclarabridal.com have many filters you can click. The more you view, the better you'll be able to fine tune what you like. Then when you finally do walk into a store, you'll know exactly what you want and can ignore 95% of the gowns on the rack. When you have settled on no more than three favorites, come back the next day with a girlfriend for a sanity check. Enjoy the process!
  • I have been watching a lot of TV shows "Say yes to the dress" and "I found my dress" because I see real women with bigger sizes with different styles and that gave me an idea of the style.  Also, I just type in "plus size wedding dress" in pintrist and look to see what I like.  After about 20 or 30 pins, you get a feel for what type of dress you are leaning towards, then bring that pintrist board to the bridal salon so they can see your selection and match it to what they have on hand.  That's the research I have done and I start shopping next weekend.  Hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards