Wedding Etiquette Forum

Lovely Advice from my Boss

I was talking to my boss about my wedding plans. She said she used to be a wedding planner in Vegas, so she started giving me advice and recommendations. Here are a few.

• "Are you putting "No children" on the invites?" Noo!!!!!
  • "You are having cash bar, right?" Noo!!!!! Groom's parents are picking up the open bar tab.
  • She suggested that I put that we want money for the honeymoon in with the invites or ON the invite! H to the No!

I had to laugh after she left. The only thing that she said that was good advice was about who to invite from my former workplace. I worked there over 6 years so I was having trouble deciding who to invite. There are over 30 people there who considered me like a daughter or granddaughter, and we can't invite them all. She suggested that I only invite my two former managers and their spouses. I think that is what I will do. 

The hardest part is that I am still in the same industry and I still interact with these 30+ people, just on another level. They all ask about the wedding plans and when and where will it be? I need to get brave and tell them somehow that I can't invite them. It's hard!
---
tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Lovely Advice from my Boss

• Wow, and she was a wedding planner? SMH. She needs to stop offering people her lovely "advice" because... wow. Sounds like you definitely know better. Happy planning, hopefully boss lady will not offer up anymore "advice" lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I think the operative phrase in this whole conversation that you should focus on is "used to be a wedding planner"- there is a reason she isn't one now!!

And about your invited colleagues, don't talk about the wedding with them. If they bring it up just say: "Yes, planning can be stressful, but we are having a really small wedding, so it isn't too bad" then just bean dip every other conversation about the wedding. If you just keep repeating how you are having a small wedding, they will understand. The problem is, if you keep talking about the wedding, it will be harder for them when they aren't invited. 
  • In her spare time...
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Is it a small wedding if we are inviting about 100 people? The sad part is that I would like to invite a few former coworkers, but I know by doing so I would offend some others.

---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Is it a small wedding if we are inviting about 100 people? The sad part is that I would like to invite a few former coworkers, but I know by doing so I would offend some others.

Hmm, I think you could get away with it if they ask how the wedding planning is going, by just saying "It's going well, but its so hard because we can't invite everyone we would love to have there. Have you tried this bean dip?"
  • I invited two of eight coworkers from my last job. They were the only ones I considered friends and actually spent time with after work. Of course, I stopped working there a few weeks before invites went out so it was an easy choice for us to make by then. 
  • I've been at my new job for 8 months! LOL

I think that if I would have left the Real Estate world it would have been a lot easier on me. One of the "pros" of taking this job was that I didn't have to invite all the Realtors from that office!
    ---
    tabbicakes 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards