Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Thinking of cancelling my wedding

Let me start this by saying I still want to marry my FI. I am just have huge issues with the wedding that had me in tears this morning. 
When FI and I first started planning we wanted a small wedding in Vegas with immediate family and close friends. His extended family was excited for us and wanted to join. It did not add that many to the guest list so we talked and agreed to invite them (aunt, uncles, cousins, etc) but since my extended family is large and full of drama we were not inviting them. 
A few months ago I was told that my younger brother and his family were probably not going to attend for very selfish reasons that I can't and won't get into. Then my dad's health took a turn for the worst and it looks like my parents will not be able to attend. While that is a HUGE disappointment I understood. Then this morning I got news that my older brother, the one that I thought we be there come hell or high water, cannot attend due to financial troubles. 
I just really cannot get excited about my wedding any more. I imagine myself on what should be the happiest day of my life looking at the empty seats that should be reserved for my family and just being reminded of how my family did not think this day was important enough to find a way to be there. I really want to cancel the plans and just elope but since the wedding is only 3 months away I know people have already made plans, booked flights, reserved rooms, and taken time off of work. I don't want to disappoint anyone but at the same time I am feeling hugely disappointed. :(

Re: Thinking of cancelling my wedding

• Options
    KikiMiraKikiMira member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    Have you thought about eloping in vegas, perhaps somewhere that will do a live feed and invite little to no one but let your family watch online. Have a small party when you get back. It would help with avoiding the larger wedding, your family can't be mad if you didn't invite anyone and if your family can't travel they can watch but celebrate with you when you get home. Or you could do a wedding at home... 

I understand how you feel, My dad had some issues and it was a possibility that he couldn't travel. I was upset, but things turned around for him. 

Just some thoughts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A thought that I have is that I am not sure how much you are now not spending on people that won't be there, but could you put that money toward helping the brother that you thought would be there no matter what? Is that an option at all? It would put one thing at ease. I'm really sorry this is happening to you at all.
  • Options
    First, I'm sorry about your situation. This is supposed to be a happy time for you. I can somewhat relate. My brother won't be going either due to some drama in our family. I think when it all comes down to it, as long as you are marrying your FI. But maybe you can get the live stream or have a pre wedding celebration at home to enjoy it with everyone who can't make it on the wedding day. I'm sure everything has you feeling down but I think you should still go through with your wedding, but in the end you being happy on your big day is what matters most. I hope everything works out for you :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are feeling this way, i agree with the idea of live streaming that is what we are going to do, we have had tons of drama with our wedding being in Vegas, much like yours, we have a lot of people who are unable to attend. Maybe do a pros and cons list?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OP this must be so difficult for you. Similar to PP I can relate to special guests/close family not being able to make it to the wedding. There are definitely options for you to still go ahead with your fabulous Las Vegas wedding but then celebrate with your family once you get back or before you leave (or both). Do you have any close friends that will be there to support you on the day?

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Options
    I am so sorry you are in this situation. Like the other posters I would say go ahead with your plans and try to figure out a way to celebrate with them either before or after the ceremony
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. FI had kind of the same trouble too. His parents can't come due to financial reasons and wouldn't accept our offer to pay. His sister is now expecting and so she won't be able to come. His niece is my age and they are very close. She just got an amazing job offer and now can no longer come. We are so very happy that these great things are happening I. Our loved ones lives, but still wish we could share our day with them. His parents are going to keep Dd for the three days we are in vegas and we will be live streaming. He is taking more joy in our events because he has invited some life long friends that are booked and ready to celebrate with us. Either way we will be married and it will be a day to remember.
  • Options
    Dont cancel sweetie! Now is the time you need to move forward with it more than ever. Why dont you talk to him about just doing the 2 of you and maybe one friend each.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards