Chit Chat

Heels or flats for job interview(UPDATE: I got the job!)

lightningsnowlightningsnow member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
edited April 2014 in Chit Chat
Evening ladies. I have a job interview in the morning and I need some advice. I usually wear a pair of patent pumps to interviews. However, I wore them to a party last weekend and my feet were killing me. Are heels or flats a better way to go? I'll be wearing a black pencil skirt, white button down with a cami underneath topped with a black blazer and nude pantyhose. Both the heels and flats are black. Thanks in advance.

ETA: UPDATE: I got the job and started on Tuesday. Wore the heels to the interview but am wearing the flats for work. Just wanted to update everyone in case you were still curious.
Formerly known as bubbles053009

Re: Heels or flats for job interview(UPDATE: I got the job!)

• I would wear heels but I'm short.
  • I've worn flats to many of my interviews over the years, for various positions, in various industries, and I've never been "turned away" for not wearing heels. If the heels are going to hurt you, then go with the flats. You really don't want to be grimacing through the interview or be distracted by your feet being in pain.

I can't think of a single industry where wearing heels would be a pre-requisite, except maybe fashion. Do they still make female flight attendants wear heels these days? I haven't flown anywhere in about 12 years.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I would go with heels because I think they look so good with pencil skirts, but definitely take your hurt feet into consideration. IT won't do you any good if you have to keep yourself from wincing in pain as you walk. You don't want to be distracted during your interview
  • Personally, I wear flats about 99.99% of the time. While I agree that heels look fab, comfort always trumps fab-ness.

I have also never had trouble getting a job.
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't think there is a right/wrong answer, although we don't know what industry you are interviewing for, so that may change the answer. I say pick whichever makes you feel fabulous, confident and amazing. That comes through. For me, that would be heels.
  • Honestly I'd go with the heels even if they would hurt (law industry in NYC here).  Nobody will mention your shoes to you, but I think in general a pump gives a more professional appearance and will look better with your pencil skirt.

That said, I recognize it's totally a double standard and heels vs. flats objectively should make no difference.  I think wearing heels is playing it safe though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Personally I think heels look fabulous with pencil skirts. I also always wear heels in interviews, but that's just me, and I'm short. If your feet hurt real bad though, flats are fine. You don't want to limp, or stumble and trip or something.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'm in engineering so a slightly different perspective. I would say flats, because I know that my interviewers value practicality. Also I heard that if you are uncomfortable moving around or don't walk around as much that it hurts you in the eyes of the interviewer. Don't know how true it is, but all of the engineers I talked to say flats are better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your flats are look nice, I'd say wear them. Patent pumps are a little too much for a job interview IMO, so I'd go with something a little more demure, but then again I don't know what industry you're in. If they hurt your feet, definitely go for the flats.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you are wearing a pencil skirt I would wear heels.
  • I feel like a pencil skirt cries out for heels.  I prefer to wear pants and flats when I interview because that is how I'm most comfortable and feel confident in my appearance.
  • Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm interviewing for a front desk position at a real estate company. I'm going to wear the flats to drive to the interview and bring the heels with me. It's currently raining here so that may change my mind. Thanks again.

• When in doubt, heels. Since the job you're interviewing for is professional, I'd dress up the most possible.

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Honestly your work heels and your party heels should not really be the same. I would go flats in this case, though I always wear heels for a job interview.

• I'm in the "heels" camp because I'm short and feel like the extra two or three inches help.
    Anniversary
  • I would say heels just because I think pumps give a nice line with a pencil skirt and elongates your body. I'm short-ish so I wear heels all the time. I also don't wear pencil skirts because I'm too curvy and have a huge butt so I feel like I end up looking a little slutty I guess is the right word.

And I'm in agreeance with @Fran1985 I would invest in some party pumps and work pumps.

• How high are the heels? I think anything more than 2 inches is actually a little unprofessional. And I love heels. I'd either go with flats or maybe a 1 or 2 inch kitten heel, personally.
  • Couggal12Couggal12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    How comfortable are you walking in heels? I know that might seem like a weird question, but, I'm a recruiter so I work with interview candidates all the time and some girls cannot walk in heels without looking like a robot.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Even though now I'm reading this when it's a moot point for the OP, I want to echo QueerFemme.  Job interviews call for demure and professional attire.  My go-to heels for job interviews are the most boring I've ever owned: 2 inches, thick (not stiletto) heel, rounded (not pointy) toe. 

I kind of think of shoes like I think of make-up: professional makeup means looking polished without drawing attention to the fact you're wearing makeup.  You want the heels to make a nice line with the pencil skirt, but you don't want to draw attention to the shoes and your awesome toned calves either.  I haven't had to interview myself for 4 years now, but I come across a lot of people interviewing, and the most professional-looking women are wearing simple clothes, simple shoes, and maybe one bangin' accessory like a statement necklace.  Like men's neck-ties, I think a woman's necklace is a perfect way to show some personality.  

• Thanks for all the advice. My heels are about 3-4 inches. I decided to go with them for this first interview as it was a group interview. Depending on when the next interview is I'll must likely wear the flats to that one.

The only reason I wore these black pumps to the party last weekend was because the heels I was going to originally wear didn't work out with the tight jeans I was wearing. I rarely wear the black pumps unless I have no other option for heels to wear to a party.

• @QueerFemme makes a great point about lower heels looking more professional.  Additionally, if your interview includes any amount of walking (like a building tour), you want to be comfortable.
  • @Ven&Radio very true. I think I have a pair of low heeled wedges that may be professional enough. Push comes to shove I'll wear the flats for my next interview.

• I may be in the minority on this one but I LOATE kitten heels. I heard them once referred to as the "mullet of shoes." I just don't think they are cute, for me at least. My work pumps are black patent leather, 3-4" heel, thick heel, and slightly rounded.

And I think as long as you can walk in the heels they aregenerall fine for an interview (if they are professional looking). As a PP mentioned, you don't want to look like a robot trying to walk.

• @eg72 -- I hate kitten heels, too.  I think the term is stupid, which is half of my problem with them.  They usually look stupid, too, though.  I prefer a 2-3" heel -- anything under that doesn't really count as a "heel" and over that is just uncomfortable for me.
  • I prefer heels for most situations, but I skip them and wear flats instead for jobs that are messier/will have me on my feet a lot. For example I'm interviewing soon as a nursing assistant and wearing heels would seem awkward and frankly be dangerous, and out of place where everyone's wearing scrubs and heels. But if I were interviewing for an office I would go for heels for sure. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards