Chit Chat
Options

Did you get bouts/corsages for siblings not in the WP?

Just curious.  Neither my nor my FI's brother are in the wedding party, and we are not having ushers or any other "jobs" for them.  Should we get them bouts since they are brothers of the B&G, or would that look weird since they're not in the WP and otherwise don't have a specific "role"?

Re: Did you get bouts/corsages for siblings not in the WP?

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We're planning on it. Only one sibling isn't a bridesmaid or groomsman, but we are going to ask him to walk my grandmother down the aisle. Even if we weren't, we'd get him a boutonniere. We're also doing bouts/corsages for parents, grandparents, and our officiant.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I think it's wierd to give flowers to people who aren't in the WP or otherwise have a role in the ceremony (officiant, reader, etc)
  • Options
    I think you should. My H is an only child and I have one sister. She was in the BP but her husband wasn't involved. We did get him a bout. He is part of the family and I wanted to make it known. 
  • Options
    I got my brother and SIL the bout/corsage because I wanted to recognize them as important to me just like I got them for the grandparents who aren't in the wedding party.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I didn't, but I don't like that brother anyway.  (out of a combined 6 siblings he was the only one NOT in the wedding).

I wasn't in my [other] brother's wedding and didn't get flowers.  I was fine with that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We didn't.  H's sister wasn't in the wedding and we didn't get her a flower.  To us she was just another guest since she had no part in our wedding.

But she did get me one for her wedding even though I had no part in her ceremony.  Only to find out that they had given my flower away to the reader.  I didn't really care because I really hate wearing corsages.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

All of our sibs are in the wedding party. But if they weren't, I'd still give them a bout or a corsage because we all have a close relationship with each other. We're also doing bouts/corsages for our parents and grandparents and in my case my maternal great aunt and uncle because we've had a very close relationship throughout my entire life and I wanted to recognize them.

I think it's just a personal decision. It's not wrong if you don't give them a bout or a corsage.

• Options
    All of the siblings we invited to the wedding were actually in the wedding. I have one brother, and he was an usher/musician. DH has a brother, who was a GM, and a sister, who is a known drug user and wasn't invited.

I have been to weddings where non-WP-siblings were given corsages or boutonnieres to mark them out as special -- same principle as giving them to parents, grandparents, godparents, etc.

I actually just suggested that idea on another thread for a bride whose FI has five sisters, ranging in age from 5 to 25, and one of them straight-up asked to be in the WP.

I think it's a nice gesture, but you certainly don't have to.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    We're not doing bouts/corsages for siblings not in the wedding party cause we're cheap. 

And also, never really thought about it before. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Nope. All our siblings are in the wedding except one. And she can suck an egg.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My husband has two brothers and I have a brother and a sister. Only my sister was in the WP. We got bouts for the brothers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards