Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Groom's dedication song to Dad

My FI wants to dedicate a song to his dad (who is alive) and he wants to play Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin.  I fully support anything he wants to do,but we are disagreeing whether or not this is an appropriate dedication song.  I think the songs meaning is talking about a father who was always too busy for his son when he was young and he is just hearing the I grew up just like him part.  I just feel like his dad or someone else might almost see the song as offensive. What do you think of this song as a dedication to a dad?

Re: Groom's dedication song to Dad

• Options
    Yeah, that's uh, not a great choice. Maybe should your FI the lyrics?
  • Options

Yeah, that is a bad idea and will seriously insult your FIL.  I was a HUGE Harry Chapin fan and that song is about a guy whose dad was too busy to be a father and was always busy and working.  As he grows up he has become too busy for his elderly father. 

This would be your FI telling everyone his dad was never around or made time for him and he plans to take the same path and not be there for his dad when is elderly.

If you want to give your guests AND FFIL a WTF moment at your wedding go ahead and play that song.  Please ask him to read this.

• Options
    I agree with PPs, that song is beautiful but it certainly does not convey a loving relationship.

I think Keith Urban's "Song for Dad" would be great for this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgst5u_rJHM&feature=kp
    If that isn't your fiance's style, "Father and Son" by Cat Stevens is another option. It's from the early seventies like the Harry Chapin song. It does have tones of the father not listening to the son, but it isn't nearly as overt as "Cats in the Cradle".

Check it out here:

Also - a quick Google search turned up this list of songs about Dad. Click through it and see if there's anything you like!
  • Options
    donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Cat's in the Cradle is a song about regrets and missed opportunities...not the best idea for a day celebrating love and new beginnings!  

How does your fiance imagine this song being played?  Dinner?  After toasts?  Dancing?  

Here's a short and sweet song about a father and son    Harry Nilsson "Best Friend"

This could easily be added for an "ahhh" moment
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards