Honeymoon Discussions

hawaii or thailand?

We are looking into either Hawaii or Thailand for a dec honeymoon? anyone can provide some insight into both this time of year?

Re: hawaii or thailand?

• Well, Hawaii is expensive at any time of year, but you won't need passports, and the flight isn't too long.
    When I checked on flights to Singapore for a cruise next year, they cost a bundle and were 23 hours long from Denver.  Ugh!  Not sure if I want to do that cruise, or not.  I've never been to that part of the world before, and it sounds exotic, but hot and humid.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It depends on how much time you have. I LOVE Thailand- especially if you want to do more than sit on a beach (ie temples, elephants, snorkelling, biking, markets- but the beaches are amazing!). However, I would say it wouldn't be worth it unless you could go for at the minimum 10 days with flights and jet lag, two weeks would be ideal).
  • I looked into Thailand for our honeymoon. I agree that you want at least 10 days. The itinerary we were considering was 2 weeks split between Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. This seems to be the common recommendation on TripAdvisor. December is a good time to go - rainy season is over.

But to me these seem like COMPLETELY different options. Thailand is more exotic and obviously has the foreign country factor. Hawaii (IMHO - I really don't know much about it) seems more of a beachy/ natural beauty kind of place.

I think you need to decide what you are looking for in a honeymoon as far as activities, length of time, climate, etc. and then compare.
  • I've only been to Hawaii. The one weather-related thing to consider is that the currents/waves are strongest in December, so many of the swimming beaches become surfing beaches. There are always beaches you can swim, but particularly on Oahu some of the "better" beaches may be too dangerous for swimming. But great for surfing, especially if you already have some experience.

There are a LOT of activities to do on each of the islands in Hawaii-not just beaches. I recommend going to the book store and thumbing through the Hawaii Revealed books to get a sense of what you can do there.

My friends that have been to Thailand say that getting there is expensive, but once you arrive it can be quite cheap. That is not the case in Hawaii.
  • I have been to both Thailand and Hawaii. I was far and away more impressed with Thailand. They are very, very different places and both have a lot to offer, but it really depends on what you are looking to do.

As PPs said, Hawaii is very expensive and Thailand is incredibly cheap but you shouldn't go to Thailand for less than 2 weeks.
  • Honestly, if you can swing it. I would go to Thailand. I think it would be a great experience. Hawaii you can always do later as it is closer etc.
  • sarahufl said:
    I have been to both Thailand and Hawaii. I was far and away more impressed with Thailand. They are very, very different places and both have a lot to offer, but it really depends on what you are looking to do.

As PPs said, Hawaii is very expensive and Thailand is incredibly cheap but you shouldn't go to Thailand for less than 2 weeks.

Yea, its cheap when you are in Thailand. But you have to buy the plane tickets to get there. And those are crazy expensive.

I went to Thailand for my HM. It was amazing. But I agree that you need 2 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went to Thailand in December about 10 years ago, and the weather was perfect(i literally left there 24 hours before the big tsunami hit).  It was amazingly cheap once you got there.  And the food was delicious.  But as other posters said, the airfare was pricey.  Though in fairness, when i went to Hawaii a few years ago my flights were almost $1200.  And i just got back from Hong Kong and those flights were $1300.  So the difference in flight cost might not even be that much depending on where you're coming from.

If you can swing 10-14 days, and have or can get a valid passport, do Thailand.  I was only there for 10 days and it was fine, but 14 would have been better.  there's lots of stuff to do.  the flights are pretty horrible but they're really not that much longer than Hawaii...once you're on a plane for 12 hours what's another 3-4?  I hated all of those flights.  but that wouldn't stop me from going again to either place.

• I'm happy to see this post, as my fiance and I were having this same debate before deciding on Thailand. Hawaii is more of a "typical" honeymoon location. Thailand is exotic and you will most likely never travel there again, or at least not for a long time. Neither of us have ever been to that part of the world, so this will be quite the new experience. I wanted the honeymoon to be unique and special, not just going to Hawaii (most people that I know have been there before). When we tell people where we are going their reaction is, "WOW!" Now that is the reaction I want when I'm telling people about our honeymoon! 

Hawaii is more child-friendly than Thailand, so we figured we can vacation with our family there some day. Thailand is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I say, if you have the time and the money to get there, go for Thailand! You will have memories to last a lifetime. New marriage and new experience = ideal!
  • angelkangangelkang member
    First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Hawaii sounds fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards