Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

I feel like this should be easier than I'm making it out to be- popcorn

I've been obsessed with popcorn my entire life and everyone knows I love my popcorn and do NOT share my popcorn lol. So I definitely want popcorn as an after dinner snack at the wedding. I had originally wanted to rent a machine but after looking into that, it seems like a bitch to handle and clean and I have no idea who would be stuck with those tasks since the venue/ caterers made it clear that they will not. So I think it would be more practical to just have pre-made baggies ready. I have found tons of the bags for sale on Amazon. But where do I get the popcorn already made? Walmart and Target usually have some big bags at their food court but likely not enough for me to just go there and buy. Would I call ahead and request it be made? Where else could you think of that sells it? Movie theater crossed my mind but they would probably charge me an arm & a leg for that much. I have 60 guests so I plan on making about 80 small bags. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Re: I feel like this should be easier than I'm making it out to be- popcorn

• http://www.thepopcornfactory.com/

They have a section on wholesale bulk popcorn.  You could call them up and explain what you want to do and they could probably help you.  You could also buy some samples and give some flavors a try before deciding what you want.

• If you're such a lover of popcorn I would buy from somewhere like the previous poster suggested. There are a number of fancy/gourmet popcorn companies. They specialize in bulk so that should not be a problem. It would be a lot tastier for your guests than Walmart or a movie theater.
  • Ps popcornopolis is my fav!
  • thank you!! Maggie their wholesale prices are really reasonable :) 

• http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/ they are a chicago company but ship all over omg there popcorn is amazing the cheddar cheese is so cheesy i got a bag the last time i was in chicago during a short layover for my next flight. they have tons of flavors to choose from

• So this may make you think I'm bonkers but my mom and I did a carnival theme for my son's birthday one year. We went to sams club and bought a large amount of microwavable popcorn bags (we got act). Anyway we popped about 4 bags for about 20 kids and filled small bags full of it. The only issue we had was the bags got greasy and you had those weird grease spots around the bottom. So...i guess if push comes to shove you could do that...
  • @lookatme3639 That's not a bad idea, I was thinking BJ's (Sam's club) might actually have some already popped too. Those website are cool but really expensive. The bulk order are all over $150 and since I have a small number of guests I was hoping more to get away with under $50. And I'm crazy but I never like the taste of the popcorn that comes in the huge buckets. I'd actually rather have Walmart or microwave lol. 

• jules3964jules3964 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    We're doing this, but as a popcorn bar. I'm planning on getting two large containers (with scoopers), and filling one with plain popcorn and one with buttered. We're just going to use microwaved popcorn and fill the containers with it, and have paper bags there for people to fill their own. We'll also have some spices and flavorings for people to add.

I'm actually not a fan of the popcorn that comes in tins either -- it doesn't taste fresh to me. I think using the microwaved kind will be fine, although we haven't worked out the timing of when to pop it, and what we'll need to do to keep it fresh. That's my only concern...

ETA: My fiance shares your popcorn obsession :)
  • jules3964 said:
    We're doing this, but as a popcorn bar. I'm planning on getting two large containers (with scoopers), and filling one with plain popcorn and one with buttered. We're just going to use microwaved popcorn and fill the containers with it, and have paper bags there for people to fill their own. We'll also have some spices and flavorings for people to add.

I'm actually not a fan of the popcorn that comes in tins either -- it doesn't taste fresh to me. I think using the microwaved kind will be fine, although we haven't worked out the timing of when to pop it, and what we'll need to do to keep it fresh. That's my only concern...

That's awesome!! Mine tries to reach over towards my bowl and I slap his hand away and growl hahaha. Microwave might be the best bet. When is your wedding? If it's before mine in Sept I will need your advice on when to pop it all lol

• jenna8984 said:
    jules3964 said:

That's awesome!! Mine tries to reach over towards my bowl and I slap his hand away and growl hahaha. Microwave might be the best bet. When is your wedding? If it's before mine in Sept I will need your advice on when to pop it all lol
    Our wedding is in October. But we'll probably end up doing some trial runs before then to see what works (and how long it stays fresh)! I'm sure my FI will have no problem eating the extras.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards