Attire & Accessories Forum

Had first fitting today...

OMG...had no idea how expensive it would be to add a bustle and bra cups - $168! Granted, I had heard DB was expensive, but I'm afraid to take it anywhere else because they will at least guarantee a new dress if they screw mine up. If I take it elsewhere there is no such guarantee and I have no idea who I could trust to do the work. My dress could actually use a little hem, but that would bring the total cost of alterations to $263...ouch! Although it would probably look a teeny tiny bit better of I had it hemmed, I'm not walking on it as is and probably no one but me will be nitpicky about the length so I may not spend the extra money. I've been trying to lose a little weight and may just maintain from here so I don't have to have it taken in and add to the expense. However, I'm happy to say that I still love love love love love my dress and know I absolutely made the right choice! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Had first fitting today...

• you could take it to an outside place they are much cheeper and if you google places and look at reviews and go to a good place they will know how to alter any dress including a davids bridal dress..

you could probably get everything you wanted done for under 150 elswhere
  • You could change your shoes and get higher heels!
  • Mitch617 said:

You could change your shoes and get higher heels!

My current shoes (2.5) put me at a good height relative to FI though...and they won't kill my feet.

I even tried a poofier slip to attempt to raise the front hem a bit. It worked, but when I walked I could see it wrinkling under the gown. That wasn't pretty at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I just had my first fitting this week as well.  My alterations, other than bustle and cups, where included with the cost of my dress.  the bustle and cups are costing me $120.  

• CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    I think it's worth it to pay for the hem.  You will notice in pictures if it's too long because the skirt will not lie right when you are standing.  I have seen wedding pics where I noticed right away that a dress needed to be hemmed,

Unfortunately, expensive alterations are another thing that comes with wearing a wedding dress.

If it makes you feel any better, my alterations are a flat fee of $575, and at another shop I went to, they were a flat fee of $695.
  • I believe that good alterations are worth the money.  If you had to choose between having favors getting your dress altered to you perfectly, I would 100% choose the dress.  You will be photographed and looked at more in this one piece of clothing then you will in anything else in your life so you want it to fit you like a glove.

• Mine were $300. I'm thrilled that I'm being charged a flat fee because they have had to do so much work on my dress. I have my FOURTH fitting next Wednesday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine are at $300 right now, not including the bustle. But I had my second fitting yesterday and I LOVE IT. It's amazing how much better it feels when it fits properly, and it really got me pumped for the big day.
  • Yeah, good alterations cost money unfortunately. My hem was 135 and the bustle was 65, bra cups were 25, so a total of 225
  •  Higher heels may be helpful. Only in this way will you get your favorite dress without spending extra money.
  • I had my first fitting last week. I got my dress at a sample sale & its a size too big. My seamstress is charging me about $160 to take it in and hem it, but i requested a special hem, she is cutting it straight around and making it just a little higher in the front. I think she is also deducting the price of accessories that I buy from her, if i spend close to the cost of the alterations she will only charge me for the accessories. Pretty sweet deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards