Attire & Accessories Forum

What to bring to your first fitting?

Happy Friday, all!

So I will be going to my first fitting in about a month (woohoo!) and am starting to wonder what all I should bring/wear to help get the alterations just right. I already have my shoes for the wedding, so I will bring them to get the length right.

My question, I guess, pertains more to the undergarments. I am planning on purchasing a corset type lingerie get-up for the wedding night (hopefully not TMI), but am not sure if I should wear this during the day or if I should wear something else? FYI, my dress is all lace, strapless and sweetheart neckline. Any suggestions on what I should wear under this? Would a strapless bra suffice?

Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What to bring to your first fitting?

• If you aren't used to wearing a corset, I wouldn't wear one all day under your dress. You wouldn't want it to get all sweaty from dancing all night anyway. A strapless bra and comfortable underwear is fine. You may not even need a bra depending on the structure and cut of your dress. You could just get cups put in place. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Your wedding day will probably be long and tiring. Unless you're a corset fanatic, you'll probably want to wear more comfortable undergarments during the day and change into your special outfit when you get back to the room. As PP said, depending on the cut of your dress, you might be able to have cups sewn in (that's what I did), but if you think you'll want a strapless bra instead, bring that. Different undergarments change the shape of your body and may affect the alterations.
  • @msuprincess04, @emmyg65- I haven't had any experience with cups being sewn into dress. Do they offer much in the way of support? I am pretty busty and the last thing I want is to be having boob spillage on my wedding day! Ha!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Def bring whatever undergarmets you plan on wearing and the shoes you plan on wearing.  I have my first fitting on Tuesday :) and that's what they told me.  I also plan on wearing a necklace just to see if i like it with the dress or not.

My dress is also lace, sweatheart/strapless.  I plan on having cups sew in.  Mine is a corset back so it gives me pleanty of support and is def more comfy then a strapless bra.    I've had cups sewn into a bridesmaid dress before without issue, but i think it will really depend on the structure of the dress.  

• Sorry don't mean to take away from your question but I'm wondering about under garments as well. I feel like strapless dresses are perfect for sewn in cups because the shape of the dress is pulled super tight around your boobs. My dress isn't like that- it's a v-neck with think straps and very low V in the back. What would I do about the bra part? I can't wear a normal one with the back but I'm afraid cups won't work because the dress isn't pulled taut against my chest like it is with a stapless. Any suggestions from people?

• @jenna8984  you could try getting a stick-on bra. If you don't need a lot of support this woud work, otherwise I would ask what they can do in terms of putting in some kind of cups or support into the bust of the dress. Low-back dresses don't leave too many options unfortunately.
  • @singinchick13 Thanks. I had not even thought about the stick on kind. I've never tried those out but I am a small B so probably would be enough for me. I don't really need support at all just rounding them out so I'm not nipples mcgee lol

• I can only speak to my own experience. I wore a Wtoo 226 dress (just about impossible to find a bra for) and I'm about a B/C cup, and the sewn-in cups were perfect. Plenty of support for dancing, etc.
  • A couple of other things to think about in terms of undergarments--

- Do you want spanx or high waisted panties to smooth you out? Look for ones that have a closure to make going to the bathroom easier.

- Consider purchasing a long line bra as opposed to a traditional strapless. Strapless bras can start to fall down and you'll be "hiking" your dress up throughout the night.

- Sewn in cups in the dress are an option, however my alterations lady always recommends an actual bra for more support, no matter how big your girls are.
    imageimage">
  • jenna8984 said:
    Sorry don't mean to take away from your question but I'm wondering about under garments as well. I feel like strapless dresses are perfect for sewn in cups because the shape of the dress is pulled super tight around your boobs. My dress isn't like that- it's a v-neck with think straps and very low V in the back. What would I do about the bra part? I can't wear a normal one with the back but I'm afraid cups won't work because the dress isn't pulled taut against my chest like it is with a stapless. Any suggestions from people?
    The back of my dress is kind of low (see here: http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8688)

I bought a long-line bra and took it with me to the fitting. When I tried it on, the seamstress was laughing at me because I said, "I look like the prow of a ship!" 

She asked me why I bought the longline instead of a regular strapless bra and I told her that I was concerned about the back being too low. She said, "oh we have all kinds of tricks!" In the end, we decided to sew cups in instead but if you think you'd be more comfortable with an actual bra, don't rule out a strapless bra. Your seamstress may be able to make it work. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OP, don't forget your shoes! 

@Jenna8984, I am also wearing a sleeveless v-neck. Can you PM me about what you're planning for accessories? I need ideas and Google searches have been fruitless. 
  • cms519 said:
    jenna8984 said:
    Sorry don't mean to take away from your question but I'm wondering about under garments as well. I feel like strapless dresses are perfect for sewn in cups because the shape of the dress is pulled super tight around your boobs. My dress isn't like that- it's a v-neck with think straps and very low V in the back. What would I do about the bra part? I can't wear a normal one with the back but I'm afraid cups won't work because the dress isn't pulled taut against my chest like it is with a stapless. Any suggestions from people?
    The back of my dress is kind of low (see here: http://www.justinalexanderbridal.com/wedding_dresses/8688)

I bought a long-line bra and took it with me to the fitting. When I tried it on, the seamstress was laughing at me because I said, "I look like the prow of a ship!" 

She asked me why I bought the longline instead of a regular strapless bra and I told her that I was concerned about the back being too low. She said, "oh we have all kinds of tricks!" In the end, we decided to sew cups in instead but if you think you'd be more comfortable with an actual bra, don't rule out a strapless bra. Your seamstress may be able to make it work. 

Thanks!! When I tried on the sample the dress was big so it was hard to tell, but now that it arrived in my size and I tried it on, it is actually tight enough with the cups! I tried it on without a bra and the pictures looked great so I guess I was worrying about nothing lol

• @mschristie123 Great idea!   Do you want spanx or high waisted panties to smooth you out? Look for ones that have a closure to make going to the bathroom easier.
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards