Attire & Accessories Forum

Stress over the Dress

FI and I have our sights set on a 2016 wedding, so I had no intentions of going anywhere near bridal salons to start dress shopping yet.

That all changed when I was looking for an evening dress at the website for a bridal salon/formalwear boutique nearby, and I noticed that they have my dream dress, the Allure 8901 (pic attached) marked down from $1, 940.00 to $799.99.

I saw this dress online in a Pinterest feed ages ago (long before I was even engaged), and I knew I wanted that dress. I figured it would be outside of my budget, but at this sale price, I would actually be under budget. Now I'm debating whether or not I should go and try on the dress now, because I know there's a good chance I'll never get the dress at that price again. It just seems so early to be looking yet.... what should I do?

Re: Stress over the Dress

• If you liked it years ago you will probably still like it years from now. Might as well try it on because if you don't love it on your body you can move on. But I'm wondering if you'll be able to find it again at that price or lower between now and 2016. If you look hard enough I bet you will.
  • i went to allures website and its style 8901 and its still avalible but like on page 4 of 5 pages for the allure collection, most designers have the newest and courant styles on the first 1-2 pages sometimes 3 and the older styles tend to be on farther back..

your best bet is to go to the allure facebook and ask if they can locate 8901 for you and give them a city state zip to work with otherwise you could call every bridal salon in your state/area up to a 2 hour drive to see who has it.

i lusted over a dress for a while the ones with the skirts that have the ruffle flower details on them tried on 2 and knew that was not my dress.

ended up getting a dress with pick ups
  • It doesn't hurt to try the dress on. It could go one of two ways- you love the dress and you just have to have it or you could hate the dress and decide to keep looking.
  • Thank you so much everyone- I'm thinking I will go and try the dress on and see if it really is as incredible as I envisioned... if it isn't all I imagined it would be then it was worth a shot, and I will wait until closer to the wedding to choose something.  Lucky for me the bridal salon with the dress on sale is only 20 minutes away, and I don't even need a formal appointment 

@mitch617: That was my exact line of thinking- I have been lusting over this dress for so long, I can't help but feel like I will continue to want that one, unless I find out that it looks terrible on me.  And where @hyechica81 mentioned that it has been bumped to page 4 of Allure's website, I wonder how much longer it will be available in salons, let alone at such a steal of a price.

I'm going to go for it and see what happens (probably Wednesday or Friday during my days off)- I'll keep you posted!
  • I agree with the others - go try the dress on and see if you love it as much on your body type.

Is there a reason the dress shop is selling it for more than 1/2 off?  Are they selling the sample or would they be ordering you a brand-new dress?

While you are trying the dress on, if you have any questions for a seamstress, see if one is available BEFORE you purchase your dress.  I've been seeing a lot of girls on here running into issues where they're having problems getting their dream dress to fit like it should/within their vision when it could have just been a simple question for a seamstress.

Anniversary
  • Go try it on!  It's beautiful!

• Definitely go try it on.  If you've liked it for several years, you will probably like it for your wedding. And if nothing else has caught your eye above this one in years, you are probably pretty safe. And even better if you can get your dream dress under budget.

I would worry that if you pass it up now, you may not be able to get it in a couple years. If it's on sale, that could be that they are getting rid of them to discontinue it. My dress that I fell in love with was a previous year style.  I had tried on several gowns and knew bits and pieces of what I wanted but couldn't find anything that incorporated it all into one dress. Then I found a photo of this one online and it had everything I wanted.  I searched everywhere for it and even called bridal shops out of state in search of it. Nobody had it. They could get sample on loan from designer (if they still had it), but it would cost $150 just to get it in to try on. I finally decided that I needed to at least try it and paid the money.  Luckily I loved the dress, so the money went toward my purchase price (otherwise it was non-refundable).  Anyway, if the dress is in the store now, go try it on because you may not get that chance (or at least easily) later on.  And most designers are still able to make a dress for several years, but sometimes they don't and you may not be able to get it at all. So, if you love it, get it while you can.

If you buy it now, which there is nothing wrong with, make sure you don't do anymore dress shopping.  That's where people get into trouble... when they keep shopping or looking at dresses and find others they like too. 

• **Update**
    I just came back from the bridal salon where I was looking to try on "the dress". It looks like others thought the dress was a steal as well, because they had sold out of the dresses and will not be replenishing stock. Looks like I'll never know what the dress would have looked like on me.

Oh well. I'm far from heartbroken- the consultant suggested I try a similar ball gown and I was really underwhelmed with it. I wound up trying on a fit and flare dress and after actually seeing it on me and how it flatters my figure, it is just stunning. It's another Allure, (2616) and the detailing is stunning. Allure only shows the gown in b&w, but the picture below shows the gown in white with clear beading- which is what I fell in love with. This dress is a bit pricier ($1500), but that is perfectly ok by me
  • Congratulations! You find the wedding dress which is what you fall in love with. The all white dress is gorgeous, love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards