Attire & Accessories Forum

Davids Bridal and Alterations questions

Ok I am getting married August 16th 2014

I am going dress shopping March 21st, and I have gained about 30 pounds since I moved in with my fiance last July. I have bad weight problems, and I always gain weight during the winter, especially since we're farmers and we don't do much when it's cold out. But I wanted to go now so that if I find a dress I'm love with, and they have to order it in, they can. 

So say I loose those 30 pounds, is that going to completely ruin my dress? I've gone from a size 8 to a size 10-12 in jeans, so it's not a huge jump, but I don't know what that is going to translate to in dresses. Am I going to be able to alter my dress enough? 

I know that it is hard to tell, and that it varied from person to person and dress to dress, but what would you do? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Davids Bridal and Alterations questions

• When you find a dress you like, no matter what store you are at, buy it for the size you are now, but ask them to have the seamstress come out and ask the seamstress that if you were to loose however much weight, would it compromise the style of the dress? Most dresses it won't be an issues, but there are a few styles out there that taking it in a lot will change the look of the dress or may not even be possible to take in beyond a certain point. If a seamstress isn't available when you're trying the on that you lvove, ask when one will be availalbe and make an appointment to go back then. Good luck & have fun shopping!!
  • David's Bridal only takes a week or two to come in, maybe 4-6 on the very outside. No matter what the consultant tells you, because they blatantly lie to get that commission check. Don't get me wrong; my dress came from David's and I loved it, but they train their consultants to use high pressure tactics to close a sale.

Also, don't use their alterations department. Find a reputable seamstress. Not only will that likely cost you less, it'll be a better sewing job too. I've heard horror stories. Generally speaking, a good seamstress can take in a dress up to about two sizes, barring any super detailed structure/stuff at the seams.
  • David's Bridal only takes a week or two to come in, maybe 4-6 on the very outside. No matter what the consultant tells you, because they blatantly lie to get that commission check. Don't get me wrong; my dress came from David's and I loved it, but they train their consultants to use high pressure tactics to close a sale.

Also, don't use their alterations department. Find a reputable seamstress. Not only will that likely cost you less, it'll be a better sewing job too. I've heard horror stories. Generally speaking, a good seamstress can take in a dress up to about two sizes, barring any super detailed structure/stuff at the seams.
     I work at DB, and what you're saying is really unfair to the consultant. We HAVE to give the date the computer says the dress will be in. If I tell someone their dress will be in in a week and it's not, I would be fired. End of story. We are required to give the date in the computer because that date is the latest possible date the dress could come in (it provides for if they ran out of stock in the warehouse and had to get another shipment, etc.). Nothing about it is a "blatant lie to get a commission check." Also, there are a lot of dresses that DO take way longer. If someone orders it in a petite size, an extra tall size, a weird color, no train, anything like that, it often takes at least six months. 

OP, you should be fine to go in, find a dress you love, order it in the size you are now and have it taken in.  Up to three dress sizes is usually no big deal. 

• Also, don't use their alterations department. Find a reputable seamstress. Not only will that likely cost you less, it'll be a better sewing job too. I've heard horror stories. Generally speaking, a good seamstress can take in a dress up to about two sizes, barring any super detailed structure/stuff at the seams.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I am using DB for alterations on my dress, and yes, it is pricey. However, the skirt is very detailed (http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Taffeta-Ball-Gown-with-Floral-Appliques-on-Skirt-SV415) and I feel more comfortable having someone work on it who has worked on this gown before. I think it depends what alterations you need. If it's something simple, sure, another seamstress can do it and do it cheaper. But for something with a lot of detail using DB is not a bad idea.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I disagree with majest318. I would also go elsewhere for alterations...and that's exactly what I did. But let me rewind a second...

Much like you, I, too, had put on weight over the winter and I purchased my dress in January for my September wedding. I tried on a 20 and she said I needed a size 18 because it was a corset but I don't think she accounted for the size 20 that I tried on being a little more stretched out having been tried on a few dozen times. Fast forward to my fitting in September and I could barely breath so we had to rush order a new dress. There were only two size 20s in the US and they located one and had it shipped. I'm one that always loses some weight over the summer but wouldn't ya know it with the stress of planning a wedding, it didn't happen.

Back to alterations... One of my BM went to Davids for alterations and paid more than double another BM did going to a local seamstress for identical work to be done on the dresses. The local bridesmaid also only took 4 days whereas DB took 4 weeks. My local seamstress was about $100 cheaper than DB for alterations and did amazing work, including removing the beading from the hem and reapplying it by hand to the new length.

• Also, don't use their alterations department. Find a reputable seamstress. Not only will that likely cost you less, it'll be a better sewing job too. I've heard horror stories. Generally speaking, a good seamstress can take in a dress up to about two sizes, barring any super detailed structure/stuff at the seams.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I am using DB for alterations on my dress, and yes, it is pricey. However, the skirt is very detailed (http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Taffeta-Ball-Gown-with-Floral-Appliques-on-Skirt-SV415) and I feel more comfortable having someone work on it who has worked on this gown before. I think it depends what alterations you need. If it's something simple, sure, another seamstress can do it and do it cheaper. But for something with a lot of detail using DB is not a bad idea.
    I disagree with this.  My sister bought her dress from DB.  She had a lace dress with a scalloped hem.  She needed it hemmed a few inches.  When she picked it up after alterations were complete she tried it on in the store.  They only hemmed the satin underlining, not the lace overlay.  She said that the lace needed to come up.  They told her that they couldn't do that without ruining the hem.

Needless to say she took the dress to a local seamstress who not only charged her less for hemming the dress but she was able to take the dress up at the waist which is how you are supposed to do it to keep the scalloped edge.

Either DB alterations didn't feel like taking it up at the waist or they are not educated enough to know how to do something correctly.  And the fact that their answer is "oh that can't be done" after you pay is just shitty.

I work at DB, and what you're saying is really unfair to the consultant. We HAVE to give the date the computer says the dress will be in. If I tell someone their dress will be in in a week and it's not, I would be fired. End of story. We are required to give the date in the computer because that date is the latest possible date the dress could come in (it provides for if they ran out of stock in the warehouse and had to get another shipment, etc.). Nothing about it is a "blatant lie to get a commission check." Also, there are a lot of dresses that DO take way longer. If someone orders it in a petite size, an extra tall size, a weird color, no train, anything like that, it often takes at least six months. 

OP, you should be fine to go in, find a dress you love, order it in the size you are now and have it taken in.  Up to three dress sizes is usually no big deal. 
    What am I looking at for alterations at DB? If my dress is only in the 700$ range, I don't want to be paying more than half the cost of the dress to have it taken in or altered. I guess I have no idea what to expect

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I adored that dress when I saw it online!  Beautiful choice.  :) 

• qmda76 thank you! The consultant and my friend picked it for me to try. I had not even seen it.

Regarding alterations price: they needed to hem it, add bustle, and take in the bodice. They charged me $250.
  • I just bought my dress at David's Bridal and they said that any dress can be exchanged once for a different size for free, but the only problem would be if the dress were discontinued between the time you bought it and the time you wanted to exchange it. Apparently, they discontinue stuff all the time. It's still worth asking about, though.
  • I bought my dress at DB and had my alterations done there too and was very happy with the results. I think it's hit & miss with who you deal with. Some reps & seamstresses are amazing, others are not, but you'll find that at any store. The cost of alterations can vary, depending on what you need done. At the DB I went to, they had an alterations menu card that they gave me when I bought my dress which gave me a list of what their prices are. The thing that jacked up my alteration cost was that I didn't want a regular bustle because it would have hid too much of the detail on the back of my dress. I opted for a roll under bustle which cost more to do because of how many attachments they had to add so it would look good. Ask for their prices and when it comes time, if you know of a good seamstress in your area, take your dress to them & get a price quote & make sure they feel comfortable working with your dress. Then you will know if price is good or not that seamstress is offering you.

• I just bought my dress at DB and it was in the $500 range. It's a fairly simple gown and the only alteration I am expecting is to have it hemmed. I was told my alterations would start at around $250 and possibly be more, for only a simple hem with no embellishments or beading. Needless to say I'm going elsewhere. 
  • I just paid for alterations at David's bridal. My hem was $150. My bustles were very expensive because I have soooo many layers to my dress and to bustle it would require quite a bit of work. It was double my original estimate- but it's going to be beautiful!!
  • i stayed away from db i went once to try on a few dresses and i was hounded by the sales lady i kept telling her i cant commit right now its just me i need some family with me this was an impulse stop.

my sister found her jr prom dress at db at a really good price like super discounted she needs alterations and db told my mom we do the alterations no problem they made it sound like my mom could not take the dress as is and go elsewhere. dress was like 70 on clearance she ended up paying when everything was said and done over 300 dollars.  they told my mom they needed to rush the alterations in order for it to be in on time,  and what a waste of money they called her 4 days later and said the dress was ready and they would not give her money back on the rush.

my sisters sr prom dress was bough elswhere needed the similar alterations like the dress she got at db and it was just 100 for everything

and as for db they dont cut the dress  when you order them they mass produce them and ship them all over the us if your store does not have it in stock they will find a store that has it or they will inspect the sample and give you that one

they also sell your information.

i got my dress at a mom and pop place and got a really good deal on the dress
  • jalyndanijalyndani member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I'm getting my dress from DB as well, and I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP. I am normally a size 8 in street clothes, but this past semester was rough and I'm now a 10-12. When we got engaged over Christmas, I knew that would have to lose some weight in order to look the way that I feel best for our wedding day this summer. I was still absolutely floored when I went to DB to try on dresses- a stretched out 14 is what fit me, and they didn't have that dress in any other sizes in my local store. So I've got the 14 on the lay-away payment plan while I work my ass off to lose some poundage. I plan on utilizing their "one-time size exchange" policy after I'm back down to normal. I was told that as long as the dress stays at DB (as in, I don't take it home after I finish paying it off), they guarantee they can order that exact dress in another size for me once I know what size I need. I just have to make sure I don't gain or lose anymore weight after I exchange it for the smaller size, and that I leave enough time for the bustle addition. 

ETA: I just want to mention that I'm under 5' tall. I know that a 10-12-14 is not a big person, and I would hate for someone's feelings to be hurt thinking I was insinuating such a thing. But for someone who is 4' 11", a size 14 makes them look like a beach ball. Just wanted to throw that in there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my first fitting at DB today.  My dress was $350 and I love it, and my alterations estimate was $290.  Now they tell me I need 13 bustles for the top layer because it is tulle and the train is a bit larger... bringing to the cost to $400.  I am SO upset and cost aside I hate the look of the bustle, it completely changes the shape of the dress from A line to mermaid which I just don't care for on me.  The bustle they showed me when I purchased was quoted at $75 and looked nice.  So sad right now :(
  • They didn't offer you any options? They gave me three or four options. Of course I chose the most expensive option but it's what I wanted and it looked the best with the ruffles...mine was $500. And I still have to do the taking in on the sides
  • I had my first fitting at DB today.  My dress was $350 and I love it, and my alterations estimate was $290.  Now they tell me I need 13 bustles for the top layer because it is tulle and the train is a bit larger... bringing to the cost to $400.  I am SO upset and cost aside I hate the look of the bustle, it completely changes the shape of the dress from A line to mermaid which I just don't care for on me.  The bustle they showed me when I purchased was quoted at $75 and looked nice.  So sad right now :(
    I would take your dress to another seamstress and have them redo the bustle.  There really isn't anything you can do about the money you already spent but you should at least be happy with your dress/bustle.

• One of my bridesmaids offered to pick up the dress and take it to another bridal store for me so I can try it on with them and get more options.  Thankfully, I knew to ask them to hold off on alterations because I wasn't sure it was what I wanted.  Currently the store is 45 minutes away and I have midterms this week - eek!  I feel so much better about it now, knowing that I can look other places,without such a large time investment.  And even if I do pay the higher price, I will at least be able to find someone who can bustle in a way more similar to what I was initially shown.  A massive sigh of relief and an even bigger hug for the friend who is helping to get the dress to a different store.
  • One of my bridesmaids offered to pick up the dress and take it to another bridal store for me so I can try it on with them and get more options.  Thankfully, I knew to ask them to hold off on alterations because I wasn't sure it was what I wanted.  Currently the store is 45 minutes away and I have midterms this week - eek!  I feel so much better about it now, knowing that I can look other places,without such a large time investment.  And even if I do pay the higher price, I will at least be able to find someone who can bustle in a way more similar to what I was initially shown.  A massive sigh of relief and an even bigger hug for the friend who is helping to get the dress to a different store.
    I am so happy you were able to figure something out.  The good thing about bustles is they don't take nearly as long as other alterations to have done.  Hope it all turns out well for you!

• I had a dress altered at David's Bridal, and would never EVER recommend it to anyone ever again.  I was furious that I had to go through them to do it.  It came out horrible, and I was uncomfortable the entire night because I kept tugging on it to hold it in place.  The next time around, I had someone else alter it my dress, for a lot cheaper and did a MUCH better job.

A good seamstress will be able to fix the dress to fit you when you lose weight.  I had a seamstress completely re-do a dress that was ordered in the wrong size (4 sizes too big) and altered it to fit me.  It also probably depends on the style of the dress, and where the seams are.

Good luck!
  • Darlin on my $750 dress at DB I paid $300 for a bustle and a hem ( not even a full hem as I have a train.) Go elsewhere for alterations
  • Honestly it's a hit or miss. So far so good, ive had no more problems with DB. My dress was $950 plus my alterations cost $175(5 bustle, adding fabric, and half an inch hem) only because i got a 20% off alterations(thanks to my fiance!!) Still feel like i was over charged for half an inch...but whatever it's all done now. We'll see how it looks when i do my final fitting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards