Texas-Houston

Annunciation C.C. $2,000 ??!

I just got a reply from ACC saying the price for the ceremony is $2000 in addition to a $500 deposit (which u will get back if u leave the church clean and followed guidelines) I'm just curious as to how much it was before? What do they need that much for? Paying for the renovations they are doing? I'm a bit shocked. On to the next church I guess.

Re: Annunciation C.C. $2,000 ??!

• Eboix518Eboix518 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2014
    Annunciation Catholic Church in downtown?? That is where I got married and it was not 2K, although that was 5 years ago, but I swear it was only $500 and you had to bring your own priest etc

and I was not a member at that church
  • Yes, downtown Houston. I heard it was $500 as well and was ready to book a date for next year. But, then I received an email from them saying It is $2000! This really got me down because i fell in love with the church. I feel $2000 is overpriced. So, I checked another church, Holy Rosary. It too is $2000. I do not understand why it is so expensive to marry in the church! I want to keep it traditional, but I find the price outrageous! Anyway, thank you for replying!
  • I would try and call them, and unless they changed their rules they don't book until July 1 of the previous year you are getting married so if you are getting married in 2015 you can't book until July 1, and they only do 1 wedding on Saturdays only not during lent and a couple other times of the year. Maybe things have changed - I just looked at my cost breakdown and the church was noted as $500 in my spreadsheet

Check St Vincent de Paul's in the Med Center, they accept non members too.

We were going to get married at the Cathedral and I don't even think it was that much to get married at, our date ended up getting booked so we went with Annunciation - good luck!
  • Yea things have changed according to the email along with the price lol because everything you are telling me is what I heard and was expecting. However, in the email from them, I was told things are different as the new Pastor is changing things. I was told I could now book a date but wasn't guaranteed unless I paid the deposit. They are now offering weddings done twice on Saturdays as well. And things are still in the process of being changed. I will definitely check out the church you suggested! Thank you for your help!
  • Yes, I am a parishioner at that parish, and got married there, and the church is having financial difficulties.  It is a historic landmark that has not been making enough money to pay for all the restoration it needs because it doesn't have a huge parishioner base.  

$500 was a steal for weddings before.  A lot of churches charge more than that for non-parishioners.  I know it's a lot of money, but you just have to keep in mind that weddings are what help keep that place open, and it's in disrepair.  

Don't choose a church just because it's beautiful either.  You should choose a church that has meaning to you.

SaveSave
  • So, I'm going through church after church, and they are pretty much all expensive. I don't understand it and neither do the women I talk to who married in church. But, there is difference between now and then. I guess Im missing out on what was once cheap, like gas lol Times are hard. Galveston churches are cheap but it's too far. Thanks for everyone's help.
  • Are you not a member of a church in Houston?  Or are you an out of town bride or something?

Churches are usually much cheaper for parishioners because, in theory, parishioners have already been financially supporting the church through out the year.  When a stranger comes to get married, they haven't been supporting the church, so they have to pay a higher fee.

My point is, if you're religious, you should join a church and marry there.  It will be cheaper, easier, and more beneficial to you spiritually.  If you're not religious, I don't know why you'd want to marry in a church anyway.  

If you live out of town and need to marry in Houston, of course, that's completely different.  Sometimes parishes that normally don't allow non-parishioners will allow non-parishioners if they get a recommendation from their home-town priest.

SaveSave
  • St. Joseph's Church on Kane St. in the 6th Ward is $1300 for non-parishioners, $700 for parishioners. They have guidelines (pages and pages) on their website. It's really pretty, and holds around 400 people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards