Flowers

Bridal Bouquets

Last night I attended and bridal show with my FI, mom  and FMIL. All night as we looked at florists my FMIL kept stating could you make my bouquet match my bridesmaids bouquets. I wasn't sure what she meant by this so I asked. She told me that she wants my white bouquet to match my girls colorful bouquets. I never planned to a have a white bouquet. She is insisting this is what your "suppose" to do and that it will look funny for me to not have a white bouquet. I've been to weddings where brides have had white bouquets and some have had the color scheme of their wedding. I'm just wondering what you guys think.  

Re: Bridal Bouquets

• Brides don't have to have white bouquets. In fact I think it looks nice when they have colorful bouquets because it stands out against their dress. FWIW, my bouquet will be dark red and my BM's will have ivory bouquets.
  • I had a colorful bouquet with touches of white.  In no way did it look funny for me not to have an all white bouquet.

Show your FMIL the picture me below and see if she thinks the bouquet looks funny.
    1_2.jpg 156.6K

• I guess I did it wrong. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think either way is acceptable. I did colored to match my girls, but I also had a champagned colored dress and had no white anywhere in my colors so it would have looked odd for me to have a white bouquet. But if it goes with your dress/colors and you want white, go for hit. But if you want colors, go for it. Do what is going to make you happy. Remember don't do anything you'll regret when you look at your photos down the road just to make someone else happy.

• Is FMIL paying? If not, she has no say whatsoever, and you can add touches of grass and weeds  if that makes you happy. It does not have to be white and it does not have to match your BM's. Mine is going to have some pinks/blues and other things in it. My BM's are going to have sort of the same thing, but more simpler and I am just fine with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• i was just wondering the same thing, so i'm glad you posted this.  I am meeting with a florist tomorrow and I started thinking about the wedding's I've been to and how I normally see brides with white flowers, yet everything I find online I like has colors in it. 
  • No my FMIL is not paying. Thanks for the advice. I will show her other pictures of brides with colorful bouquets. 
  • I can't remember the last wedding I went to where the bride had a white bouquet! I love the bright bouquets against the white dress! I plan to have a bouquet of purple calla lilies (with my ivory dress) and my BM will have ivory calla lilies (with her purple dress). 
  • I've never seen a bride have a plain white bouquet!
    Usually white is the accent color, and the BM's/MoH have more of the main color in them so they look different enough but still cohesive.
    Mine's going to be ivory and yellow.
  • White bouquets often dont photograph well and it makes it hard to decipher between the different flowers in the bouquet. Every florist and bride i've spoken to advised me against all white because while it might look more elegant, sometimes its not always that interesting. You'd have to add some of those diamond stud things to some of the flowers to help them stand out.
  • My bouquet won't be white. It is going to be blue and purple, just like the Bridesmaids and my Maid of Honor. Even the men have blue and purple in the bouts. I don't think you are "supposed" to have a white bouquet. I think a colorful one pops more against your dress. Besides, if your dress isn't actually white, it may clash. My dress is ivory, so white flowers may look odd in photos against my dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I booked the florist I went with yellow mini calla lilies and blue delphinium as my flowers. My FMIL smiled and said she like the idea but I could see the disapproval. I love the way the florist made my sample bouquet. These two colors allow me to represent my color scheme in my bouquet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards