Registry and Gift Forum

When can we return wedding gifts?

We have just started receiving gifts for our wedding in about 30 days. We received a gift yesterday that we did not register for because we already have it. The thought was so great, and we intend to send a Thank You note immediately. But how soon can we return it? Should we do it immediately or wait until after the wedding? We should have at least 30-90 days to return the item, so I think we are ok on time. I'm just thinking about etiquette here. 

Re: When can we return wedding gifts?

• The gift etiquette guidelines are to send a thank you right away (which you are doing) and to wait until after the wedding to use stuff. 

You are supposed to wait in case the wedding is called off and gifts have to be returned.  I think that guideline applies to the gift in question.  That being said you know your situation better than anyone and can judge if you think there is a low risk of having to return the gift to the giver.  If you have the means to rebuy it and replace it (and the store will still have it) then you can return it now.

• grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I'd wait since you aren't supposed to use wedding gifts until after the wedding, since you'd be expected to return them in the unlikely event that you don't get married.  You can't give it back if you don't have it anymore.  I'd think pretty much any store would let you make a post-wedding return even if it was outside the normal return policy, it will probably just be for store credit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would also enquire if you could get a store credit or exchange if you return it. In some cases they refund the money to the credit card of the purchaser, which can be a bit embarrassing! 
  • It was purchased from somewhere that we are registered, so I do believe that returning the gift would not be a problem. I do believe that you are all correct with this. We will wait until after the wedding (even though I hope there is no chance we will have to return them). Thank you!
  • I would confirm with the store before making a decision, especially if you didn't receive the receipt.  

Yes, you'd have to repurchase and return if the worst happened, but I'd rather risk that than risk running through a 30 day return deadline and end up having to keep a duplicate.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards