Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Who are you including in your group shots?

I started to make a "shot list" for our group shots after the ceremony, just to start getting an idea of who will be included.  I have the obvious ones (in-laws, my parents, grandparents), but I am on the fence about aunts and uncles.  We have some that are very close to us, and others, not so much (for example, I have met one of my fiance's aunts all of 2 times in over 3 years of being together).

What are you thoughts on this?  Should we just include everyone?

Thanks!

Re: Who are you including in your group shots?

• Options

I started to make a "shot list" for our group shots after the ceremony, just to start getting an idea of who will be included.  I have the obvious ones (in-laws, my parents, grandparents), but I am on the fence about aunts and uncles.  We have some that are very close to us, and others, not so much (for example, I have met one of my fiance's aunts all of 2 times in over 3 years of being together).

What are you thoughts on this?  Should we just include everyone?

Thanks!

@jeannieomc

We are the same way with the aunts and uncles. Some are very close and others are not. We are 90% sure the ones we're not close to probably won't attend but if they do, we will be doing 1 shot with all of them (my side and his). 1 shot of us with his side and 1 shot of us with my side. 

You could ask the photographer to get a picture of you and your favorite aunt / uncle at the reception where the other aunts / uncles may not notice. It would be like a slap to the face to not include them in at least 1 photo after the ceremony. After all they are family whether you're close to them or not.
  • Options
    We did parents, step-parents, siblings, grandparents, my uncle and his GF (uncle performed our ceremony and we're close to him), bridal party and thier SOs.  We also did all of our formals before the ceremony, so there were no issues with people feeling left out.
  • Options

Here is the shot list we used (not including immediate family and bridal party).

All of my cousins, their spouses and children (including my sister and family).  This was because my grandma couldn't make it and we thought she might enjoy seeing all of her extended family.

My Mom and her siblings (again, for grandma).

On H's side we did a picture of his parents, his aunt and uncle with us, then added in his cousins, spouses and their kids.

We didn't invite any of my Dad's family.  We don't see them often and they are old and in ill health so that simplified things.

H's Mom is estranged from her only living sister (but we invited her as an olive branch and she declined) so it also helped to simplify the pictures.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options

We did parents, siblings, godparents, full immediate family on each side. For my mom I had a shot of all of the grandkids together done. I didn't have my aunts/uncles there as they all live over seas and weren't able to make it. We did do a full family (aunts/uncles/counsin) from my FIL side of the family at the reception.

Later at the reception in a nice but not as formal setting as the church I had the photographer to family shots for each bridal party member. Most of ours had kids in their late teens to early 20's and those who didn't, it was just them & their spouse. I figure it was a great shot to get when everyone in the family was dressed up & smiling.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards