Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

mother/son dance song for mother/son who aren't that close

Looking for advice for a song for my FI and his mom to dance to. We've been struggling because the suggestions that come up when you search for this kind of thing tend to have really personal and emotional lyrics about how much they mean to each other and how the mom's always been there and always will be there for the son and whatnot.

My FI and his mom don't hate each other or anything, they get along, but they're not particularly close. His parents divorced when he was 10 and his dad had primary custody. He didn't like his then-stepdad so he almost never saw his mom as a teenager. Since graduating high school a decade ago, he probably sees his mom a dozen times a year at most, and most of those are family holidays. They just never had much of a relationship; his dad was always the one who was there when he needed something. To this day he's 100x more similar in personality to his dad than his mom. He still wants to have a dance with her - it's his mom and he loves her - but he just thinks it would be kind of wrong or "fake" to have a sappy emotional typical mother/son song when they didn't have that kind of a relationship.

So I guess my question is, has anyone been in this situation or does anyone just know of a mother/son dance song that would fit their relationship? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: mother/son dance song for mother/son who aren't that close

• Options
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    good thought, it's pretty neutral ... for reasons I don't really want to get into it's not really appropriate for them I don't think. thank you though!
  • Options
    They could dance to something like What a Wonderful World or something without lyrics.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts
    "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac
    "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles
    "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel

These are some of the songs that I have heard at weddings. Your DJ might have some good suggestions too.
  • Options
    Do they WANT to have a dance? If it's going to be uncomfortable or forced, there's no rule saying they have to have a spotlight dance. Plenty of people don't.

That said, you could always pick something that's not necessarily mother/son-centric, like "You've Got a Friend in Me" (Randy Newman) or "Stand By Me" (Ben E. King).

• Options
    I would like my Fl and his stepmom dance too, but he doesn't get along with her.

• Options
    "Boy named Sue" - Cash      ...his parents might not like it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards