Connecticut
Options

apartment stress

so i am getting married in june both me and fi live with our families. We waited till the last possible months to find housing for the both of us. fi has spotless credit and i have so so its not good but its not that bad. we applied at carabetta management apartment complexes in Middletown they base it on income restrictions

since fi has the spotless credit he filled it out and listed me as living there but  not as the co applicant. it said on the application name dob social of anyone over 18 living with you so we filled that out. then they called him last week and said i needed to list myself under co applicant name dob social again where i work how much i make.

i told the lady at the office my credit is not that great i was upfront with her,

they called back yesterday and said based on my credit they should deny us, but since his is spotless they said we are approved but i need a co signer. not a problem right usually its just the co signers social dob signature credit check..

no the co signer must have property in ct or ma show proof of deed or mortgage info and a copy of a tax return way to much info. my mom last night said she would co sign if i needed one but not there beacuse they want way to much personal info

wouldn't he be the main person on the lease then he could say my fi is moving in with me can i add her as living in the apartment? without me being on the lease?

i feel like i should try to work something out with them he already is approved to live there with just him on the lease as the renter but if i was living with him couldn't i just be on the lease as a family member living with him and not have the apartment in both our names?

i am like so stressing out about this me and fi had a text argument this am about it. i feel like every place we look at is going to give us a hard time.

Re: apartment stress

• Options
    I think at this point it's too late to go this route with this particular property since they already know you will be living there and know your credit history and want a co-signer. Could you look into other properties in the area. Before we purchased our home we always rented homes as opposed to an apartment in a complex. Out of 4 places that I lived only one ever required a credit check. I would start searching Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, etc to find available home rentals in your area. A lot of realtors will also help with home rentals and you don't need to pay them anything. They make their money from the landlord.
  • Options
    Everyone apartment I have lived in has required a credit check, pay stub, both occupants on lease, etc.  I think this is normal for any well-managed property.  Granted, I live in NYC and luxury buildings.
  • Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    i understand the credit check pay stuff and both occupants on the lease what i cant understand is that they want a co signer that  needs to show proof of home owner ship ex mortgage or deed to the house and a copy of the recent tax return

my mom is willing to co sign but not if they want her to show all that personal info shes willing to give social dob signature and dl if needed
  • Options
    Yea, I agree that is strange. But if that's what they require and your mom doesn't want to give all that info (I don't blamer her) than unfortunately you may have to look elsewhere or continue to push back with this management company.
  • Options
    i need a day to sit on it so i am thinking of calling them to see if there is anyway they can work with the co signer so she does not need to give out that info.

i flat out want to tell her you know my moms not comfortable giving all her info personal info out she is willing to give her social dob so you can do a background check on her but other than that she does not feel comfortable sharing all her tax return and her mortgage statements.
  • Options
    I am sort of a nut about my privacy and not giving out my personal information so I can understand where your mom is coming from.

If I were you, I'd look elsewhere.  I've lived in 3 apartments in my life - two were private rentals, another was a managed property.  The managed property was nice, but if your credit is lousy I think a private rental might suit you better.  Just look at Craigslist and take a lot of tours.  You can find a nice place that won't break the bank.

Good luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards