May 2015 Weddings

Proposal Story

How did your man propose?

Re: Proposal Story

• We met freshman year of college. So this past September, we went back to campus for our 11th yr anniversary. We we went to a bar we used to go to our Senior year to watch the Jets game. After that, we took a late night stroll around the campus which we used to do a lot throughout college. We got to Collins Circle (we went to SUNY Albany), which is the entrance of the school essentially and faces the campus, and he stopped us like in the middle and we started talking about our anniversary, and our times in college. Then he suddenly started acting really weird, like all sweet and emotional and I was thinking "What's going on?" Then he said how I made him so happy throughout college and our lives, and he wanted o be happy with me forever - his voice got really weird too. I think my brain started registering what was happening and then he reached into his pocket, pulled out the box, got on his knee and popped the question. I started jumping up and down screaming "Yes!!!!!" I screamed a lot after that lol.

*Side note* He later told me that he really wanted to propose to me in front of this huge fountain that is in the middle of campus. This spot was actually more special to us, because when we first started dating my roommate wanted to know how he asked me out, and I told her he hadn't, that we just kinda became official. So she went up to him to tell him that he had not asked me out lol, so that night we went on one of our campus walks, and he took me by the fountain and said "So I heard you've been telling people I didn't ask you out" or something like that. He made me get up on this ledge type thing so that I was taller than him and was like "I'm not gonna get down on one knee because I don't want to dirty my jeans, but will you be my girl?" It was so cute and funny. Anyways, when we went to the fountain on the day of our proposal, it was under construction with all these damn gates around it!!! He said he panicked thinking "Where the hell am I gonna propose now?" Lol. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• He proposed at our college graduation party. In the past whenever FH gives me a big gift (birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's Day) he's made scavenger hunts and hidden hints all over the house. At the graduation party he got up to give a speech and handed me a note card with a hint on it. The hints let me to different people throughout the room (family members, mutual friends), each one describing reasons that he loves me. The final card instructed me to turn around, where I found FH down on one knee with a ring box in hand. 
  • I have no romantic proposal story to share! (Which makes me a little sad sometimes) His mom was pestering us about how we should have been married first before having children. That's what originally brought up the subject. We talked it over, and just decided as two adults to get married. We picked the ring together, and when we got it from the jeweler, he slipped it on my finger and that's about all she wrote.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had been together for almost ten years.  I spent the school year of 2011/2012 8 hours away in Virginia, so we were long distance and it really sucked.  That summer I moved back up north, and the night before we moved into our new place, I got an awesome job offer.  So Fi says we should go out to dinner and uses the job offer, moving, etc. as the reason to celebrate.  I don't know how I missed this, but he even said, "Hey, why don't you wear that new dress?"  I totally should have seen it coming.  Anyway he was cool as a cucumber at dinner.  He made a couple of comments about starting a new phase of our lives, but he'd been talking like that for a little while and dropping hints, so I didn't think he was really about to do it.

So on the way home, he says he feels nostalgic and wants to stop at this overlook we used to have picnics at in high school and college.  I think that's when I had a feeling he was going to pop the question.  We get to the park, and it's really dark out, and as we're getting out of the car he starts fumbling around and won't tell me what he's looking for.  Then he started acting really nervous and sort of pulled me across the park, while muttering under his breath, "Why are there so many people here?"  So he finds a spot right on the overlook, with this beautiful view down the mountain, and started talking about how much he loves me, etc.  His line he had rehearsed was, "Being with you is always an adventure, and I want to have a thousand more adventures with you."  Awwwwww.  So he asked me to marry him and I think I actually said, "For reals?" because I was sort of shocked, and then of course I said yes.

I still give him a little bit of crap because he didn't kneel down. ;)

@Angusaur that story is great!  I think that's a wonderful way to get engaged.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My FH proposed at the Rockefeller Center ice rink on my bday. I had a feeling he was going to propose to me on my bday but when the day came I forgot all about the proposal. I think I forgot because I was thinking about all the others gifts he had given me one at a time throughout the day. Since we are both like trying new things he decided that he wanted to take me ice skating since I never been. Since it wasn't too cold we decided to walk from Times Square to the skating rink. Once we got there I told him I didn't want to go ice skating because it was too crowded (it looks much larger on tv). He told me he really wanted to go skating and he thought I would skate with him since we always try new adventures together. As I was looking around the rink debating if I was going to go. I turned back around to tell him I would only go if he really really wanted me to go I found him on one knee. He started saying something but I didn't hearing anything he said (because I shocked and had already started to cry) until he said "Are you ready to change your last name and will you marry me?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The proposal kind of happened over three days... Friday, December 20, 2013: Fi called my parents on their way up to visit my grandpa in MN. He asked my dad for his blessing and that he was going to ask me to marry him that Saturday. Saturday, December 21, 2013: Fi went hunting and I spent the day doing errands. We were going to meet up with friends for drinks later that night. When I got home, I decided to make dinner and started to cut a squash in half. That bugger did not want to be cut and I ended up slicing my finger pretty good. I called Brandon panicking telling him that I have to go to the urgent care for stitches and that he needs to come home. We spent 2 hours in urgent care and after three stitches the doctor let me go home. I had a nice pink splint on my left hand thumb. Not knowing that my parents were expecting a phone call any minute about our engagement, I sent them a picture of my left hand with the caption “Something pretty for my left hand.” My parents were so glad that they looked at the picture because his surprise would have been ruined. Sunday, December 22, 2013: We were running late for his family Christmas. He kept insisting that he had to wrap my present before we left. I kept telling him that my present can wait and that we should have left an hour ago. He ignored me and went into our spare bedroom. He took our dog Randall in there with him. I was busy packing up presents and heard Fi tell Randall that he needed to come find me. Randall bolted out of the room and had a note tucked in his collar. I opened the note and it said, “Christine, Will you marry me?” When I looked down at Randall he had a ring tied to his collar with white ribbon. Even though I messed up his original plan, it was perfect. . @Angusaur I know many people that got engaged that way! There is nothing wrong with it. In the end all that matters is that you marry your best friend.
  • The proposal kind of happened over three days... Friday, December 20, 2013: Fi called my parents on their way up to visit my grandpa in MN. He asked my dad for his blessing and that he was going to ask me to marry him that Saturday. Saturday, December 21, 2013: Fi went hunting and I spent the day doing errands. We were going to meet up with friends for drinks later that night. When I got home, I decided to make dinner and started to cut a squash in half. That bugger did not want to be cut and I ended up slicing my finger pretty good. I called Brandon panicking telling him that I have to go to the urgent care for stitches and that he needs to come home. We spent 2 hours in urgent care and after three stitches the doctor let me go home. I had a nice pink splint on my left hand thumb. Not knowing that my parents were expecting a phone call any minute about our engagement, I sent them a picture of my left hand with the caption “Something pretty for my left hand.” My parents were so glad that they looked at the picture because his surprise would have been ruined. Sunday, December 22, 2013: We were running late for his family Christmas. He kept insisting that he had to wrap my present before we left. I kept telling him that my present can wait and that we should have left an hour ago. He ignored me and went into our spare bedroom. He took our dog Randall in there with him. I was busy packing up presents and heard Fi tell Randall that he needed to come find me. Randall bolted out of the room and had a note tucked in his collar. I opened the note and it said, “Christine, Will you marry me?” When I looked down at Randall he had a ring tied to his collar with white ribbon. Even though I messed up his original plan, it was perfect. . @Angusaur I know many people that got engaged that way! There is nothing wrong with it. In the end all that matters is that you marry your best friend.
  • Ugh! Angusaur I feel the same way at times and initially avoided this board bc I didn't wanna talk about it...lol My fiance proposed to me on my B-day (Dec. 23rd)...I went on a cruise to celebrate and was driving back to Tx from New Orleans...I stopped off to meet him as he was in TX with a friend working on some schoolwork. We met a gas station briefly to exchange Christmas gifts.

He gave me a tshirt! I had a friend with me and tried to hide my disappointment. I showed her the shirt he got me and when I turned around he was down on one knee!! I was shocked and happy but many days wish he had come up with something more creative and romantic. (esp. since I kinda hinted to him way back when we were just friends that I dreamed of a nice proposal)

Anywho, When I feel that way I just remind myself that At the end of the day, all that matters is that you have a man that loves you and wants to spend the rest of his life with you. That makes my heart smile. :)

• bakersckbakersck member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Mine is really sort,  but it was in July.  I had just returned to work from being on maternity leavefor the past 6 weeks.  I was carrying all of my pumping supplies to the kitchen and he followed me, carrying DD and my SD following him.  He told me that SD had to show me something.  I turned around and he flipped DD around (he was holding her towards him) and my SD was holding the ring box.  On their shirts, it said "will you marry dad?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year (against my hospital floor's policy) and despite trying to find someone to work for me, I had to work both. I was pretty grump all fall about having to work Christmas especially because my family is VERY close and we always spend Christmas eve together but we live a good 2 hours away from our families at the moment.  So my parents offered to have us over to lunch on Christmas eve and then we'd drive back home. I agreed and Patrick and I drove home to my parents' house. We first stopped off at his parents' house to say hello and then headed to mine.  He took one of the backroads, which wasn't unusual. It leads to my favorite old stone bridge.  It was surprisingly beautiful day in December (in massachusetts!) so he suggested we stop at the bridge and admire it in the winter sun.  I agreed and we got out of the car.  We had had a stupid fight a few days earlier about a Christmas receipt I'd found while cleaning (he thought I had found the RING receipt!) so he offered this time as a moment to apologize. Before I knew it, he was on one knee and I was sobbing.  Of course my parents and his family knew  this was happening and they were all waiting at my house with champagne.  We got back to my house and celebrated with the champagne and some wicked awesome lobster rolls my mom made! It was perfect!! ANd I didn't even care I had to work Christmas and the two days following!
  • He told me we were going hiking with our two friends on a Sunday Morning at the Appalachian Trail in Stroudsburg, PA. We got there and his friend Jarrod said there was a really pretty overlook. We hiked about 1.5 hours and weren't sure if we were going the right way. I started getting really hungry, my legs were hurting and we started seeing signs for BEARS! I was ready to turn around and go home LOL. About 15 minutes later we got to a really beautiful lake. I asked if our 2 friends would take a picture of Dustin and I and that's when he popped the question! It was PERFECT......romantic and completely UNEXPECTED. Also, kudos to him for setting up to have pictures and a video of the moment!
  • It was 1 month shy of our 4 year anniversary.  We went up north to see his family in NY for a reunion.  His uncle owns hundreds of acres of land in upstate NY so we went trail riding in the mountains.  We had our dog with us and she ran off.  That is like our child so I started to panic when she didn't come back right away. She always sticks by us and she is great without a leash but something must have caught her eye in the woods.  After yelling and hollering her name for about 20 mintues she finally came back. I thought I had lost her for good :(  My Fi was sweating bullets because he was just about to take me to the spot where he wanted to propose and it wasn't starting off well! It was in October so the trees in the mountains were all chaning color.  It was GORGEOUS! We went to an open field with a small pond and he got down on 1 knee behind me while I was taking in the view and snapping photos. He called my name and I turned around and there he was with the ring! It was perfect!
  • He had planned a Caribbean trip for us, but wouldn't tell me where, so naturally I assumed he was proposing. I remember complaining to my best friend that I would be far away and wouldn't be able to celebrate with her tight away. Anyway, couple of weeks before the trip he gets all grumbly and crabby, turns out his store messed up their schedule and he had to cover for his manager that week while he was in Italy. He was really upset, but told me as compensation he convinced my best friend to go with me,no sense in the trip going to waste. At that point I figured he had never intended on praising because he would NEVER let them screw him over that way if he had. I was upset, but whatever, I would be spending a week with my best friend who I almost never get to see. Plus, he said the store offered to pay for us to go later. Win/win! Anyway, we get to the resort and we're settled in when I notice FIs cousins FI across the pool. She's a dancer who travels all over the place, so when she tells me she's performing at the resort the next day for an Independence Day celebration, I don't think anything of it. She suggests we walk down to the beach, which we do all excited for a girls weekend when we hope under some palm trees and I see him strolling along the beach. I turned to my BF and say "What the f*** is he doing here?" And she shrugs and says to go ask him. I run to him ask him the same question and he says "No reason to beat around the bush, I came to ask you a question..." He gets down on one knee and proposed! Honestly the best part was that my MOH, her husband, my FIs BM and his FI, as well as one of our closest friends in the world were all there to celebrate all week with us! Greatest vacation ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards