Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Various Questions...

Sorry. I have a lot of questions that randomly pop into my head.

Do we HAVE to make a registry? I really would prefer not to...I don't like registries in general.

Do we HAVE to send out STD's? The wedding is in September and while I had them designed myself I definitely slacked on getting them printed.

My FMIL has essentially told me we are doing a dollar dance and a "money tree" while I have no problem with a dollar dance, the money tree strikes me as rude. Especially since we're doing a dollar dance. I brought it up to FI and he was not concerned, because it's "normal" to his family or maybe the area. I don't want to tell FMIL I think it's rude because I don't want to offend.

Any input would be lovely.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Various Questions...

• Options
    No.

No.

And say thank you for your input, and then bean dip her. Don't let her give input to the DJ/band.

image   image   image

• Options
    Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

Do we HAVE to make a registry? I really would prefer not to...I don't like registries in general. Nope. I am not registering because there is nothing I need or want to upgrade at this time. We have limited space where we live and I do not want to have to rent a storage unit just to store gifts.

Do we HAVE to send out STD's? The wedding is in September and while I had them designed myself I definitely slacked on getting them printed. No. Save the Dates are a relatively new convention and are not mandatory. However, if you do send someone a STD, you must send them an invitation.

My FMIL has essentially told me we are doing a dollar dance and a "money tree" while I have no problem with a dollar dance, the money tree strikes me as rude. Especially since we're doing a dollar dance. I brought it up to FI and he was not concerned, because it's "normal" to his family or maybe the area. I don't want to tell FMIL I think it's rude because I don't want to offend. Have you tried telling her that you are not comfortable with asking your guests for additional money on top of the expense of them coming to your wedding and most likely giving you a gift? You should discuss this with FI so he understands why you are uncomfortable with the idea and can be on the same page when discussing this with FMIL. If talking to FI doesn't work, I agree with PP that you should bean dip and subvert if necessary.

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    No
    No
    Hell to the no!

• Options

Do we HAVE to make a registry? I really would prefer not to...I don't like registries in general. Nope. I am not registering because there is nothing I need or want to upgrade at this time. We have limited space where we live and I do not want to have to rent a storage unit just to store gifts.

Do we HAVE to send out STD's? The wedding is in September and while I had them designed myself I definitely slacked on getting them printed. No. Save the Dates are a relatively new convention and are not mandatory. However, if you do send someone a STD, you must send them an invitation.

My FMIL has essentially told me we are doing a dollar dance and a "money tree" while I have no problem with a dollar dance, the money tree strikes me as rude. Especially since we're doing a dollar dance. I brought it up to FI and he was not concerned, because it's "normal" to his family or maybe the area. I don't want to tell FMIL I think it's rude because I don't want to offend. Have you tried telling her that you are not comfortable with asking your guests for additional money on top of the expense of them coming to your wedding and most likely giving you a gift? You should discuss this with FI so he understands why you are uncomfortable with the idea and can be on the same page when discussing this with FMIL.

When she brought it up my instant response was "no, I think that's rude" but she just kind of shrugged it off, saying things along the lines of "everyone does it in our family" and talking about how much money she got on her money tree. It's not just his side of the family that's coming though... ugh. We're not going to do it, it's just going to be very awkward asserting myself with her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    helpmeimpoorhelpmeimpoor member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2014
    Oh and really any etiquette I try to bring up with FI he just has no cares to give. I almost feel as if they think I'm a snob by mentioning things like this.

ETA: not that he's some terrible, he's just content with what he's seen from weddings he's been to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    When she brought it up my instant response was "no, I think that's rude" but she just kind of shrugged it off, saying things along the lines of "everyone does it in our family" and talking about how much money she got on her money tree. It's not just his side of the family that's coming though... ugh. We're not going to do it, it's just going to be very awkward asserting myself with her.
    Even if FI doesn't care either way, he should support your decision. He needs to understand that it is important to you to host your wedding properly. And to the bolded, yes, it might be difficult but you have to draw the line with her somewhere or else she will think she can always get her way and you will acquiesce to her demands if she pushes hard enough.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Just let your FI know it's important to you not to impose on your guests, so if he could please kindly let his mother know that this is not up for discussion you would really appreciate it. Don't worry about having to confront her when you disagree; she's his mother, it's his job to stand up for the two of you when it comes to his own family.
  • Options
    Try saying to her: "I understand it might be normal in your family, but it definitely isn't normal in mine, and I really don't feel comfortable doing anything that involves asking for cash from our guests."

If necessary, lie a little bit and say "The last wedding I went to with family, they did these things and sooo many people talked about how rude and tacky it was afterwards. I know none of my family members feel that way about you guys, and I don't want to do anything to change that!"
  • Options

Do we HAVE to make a registry? I really would prefer not to...I don't like registries in general.

Do we HAVE to send out STD's? The wedding is in September and while I had them designed myself I definitely slacked on getting them printed.

My FMIL has essentially told me we are doing a dollar dance and a "money tree" while I have no problem with a dollar dance, the money tree strikes me as rude. Especially since we're doing a dollar dance. I brought it up to FI and he was not concerned, because it's "normal" to his family or maybe the area. I don't want to tell FMIL I think it's rude because I don't want to offend.

No.

No.

You shouldn't do any of these things, even if your name is @helpmeimpoor.
    I did tell you that you should change your screen name!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

No.

No.

Yes, yes...I realized not everyone would get it but unfortunately I don't think I can change it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It would be pointless to send out STDs at this point because if your wedding is in September, you'll probably be sending out wedding invitations in 2-2.5 months.
    Anniversary

• Options
    No.

No.

Definitely no... My Mom wants me to have a dollar dance. I told her I'll elope if she brings it up again.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Regarding the money tree: If everyone does it in her family, her family members who intend to give you cash at the wedding can put the money in your card box, just as anyone else would put a monetary gift in a card box.
  • Options
    No, you don't have to register, but you may still have guests who want to buy you a boxed gift. IMO it doesn't hurt to create a small registry in case someone asks.

Nope, don't need STDs.

Even if FI doesn't care either way, he should support your decision. He needs to understand that it is important to you to host your wedding properly. And to the bolded, yes, it might be difficult but you have to draw the line with her somewhere or else she will think she can always get her way and you will acquiesce to her demands if she pushes hard enough.
    This.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    A dollar dance is a cultural thing for them. I'm not going to argue that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    There are brides here who have money dances as part of their or their FI's culture.  They have realized, though, that it is incredibly rude and therefore changed it somehow.  Either by giving the guests monopoly money to give you, giving each guest that you dance with a flower instead of having them give you something, etc.  
  • Options
    I just can't understand how you're against the money tree because it's rude but you will do the dollar dance... even though it's also rude. 

• Options
    If the dollar dance is important to his family and their heritage, I will respect that. The money tree has no significance to anything as far as I can tell. So while I acknowledge that some people find it rude, I have no personal qualms with it. My issue is doing both, because that's far too much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    For the money tree can you pull a "Oops, forgot it at home, guess we'll have to skip that"
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

No.

No.

Yes, yes...I realized not everyone would get it but unfortunately I don't think I can change it.
    Oh, I get it.  I think maybe you don't, at least in the context of TK.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't find the dollar dance rude (which I don't quite understand) then tell your FI that you will compromise. You will do the dollar dance but no money tree. He should be able to compromise by letting the money tree go, but if he is not willing to compromise then you have bigger problems. 
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    helpmeimpoor said: If the dollar dance is important to his family and their heritage, I will respect that. The money tree has no significance to anything as far as I can tell. So while I acknowledge that some people find it rude, I have no personal qualms with it. My issue is doing both, because that's far too much.

-------------------------------------------------  
    See, this is the root of the problem with most etiquette issues:
    you may have no personal qualms with it, but your job as a host is not to be concerned about you, but your guests.

If no one in your family does a dollar dance, they may get offended... make comments and remarks behind everyone's back... come to you at some point after the wedding and ask you "What were you thinking?! How could you be so tacky??" and you will have to throw your FMIL under the bus and say it was all her idea. 

I was a BM in a wedding where they did a dollar dance, something I'd never heard of before. The groom was my ex-stepdad (mom's ex-husband, but he has always been a part of my life while she has not) and when I went to dance with him, I asked him "I don't REALLY have to give you a dollar to have a dance with you, do I?? I don't even have any money on me!" He said no, of course I didn't have to. What if guests ask you the same thing, are you going to let them all slide? Will that piss off your FMIL and have her tell you that you're doing it all wrong? Or will you deny your guests a dance until they cough up a dollar?

You might think that appeasing her is the easier route to take, but consider all the unknowns that could happen as a result of this. Trust me, you're better off putting your foot down on these rude ass traditions now. Plus, I find it hard to believe that a dollar is "important" to their heritage. If people want to give you money, they will give you money another way without you being the ringleader of a rude dance that solicits it from them.

edited to fix quote format
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

No.

No.

Oh, I get it.  I think maybe you don't, at least in the context of TK.  :)

I guess not? It is just a screen name afterall. Not sure what there is to "get" other than a reference to a funny part of a movie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In the armenian culture its the norm to have a money dance, if there was an armenian band they would play a song or the dj would play something armenian that you gave him, two people usualy the bride and groom would get in the middle and do a dance the guest would then throw money into the center of the dance floor.

we are not doing it a because my dads side of the family italians and lithuanians would not understand it. my mom side all Armenian would   and my fi is irish and its just way to many cultures in the mix. plus i can be tacky asking for more money

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards