Honeymoon Discussions

Should I stay or should I book now? Flights to Hawaii

So I just stumbled upon a great sale Virgin America is having! I can get rates for $314 a person (after taxes) from Ft. Lauderdale to LAX ROUNDTRIP. Amazing! Unfortunately, VA doesn't fly to Hawaii, so we would have to go thru baggage claim, grab our bags and get on another flight. It's waaaaaay early for me to be looking at flights (March 2015 bride), but I'm seriously considering snatching up this amazing priced flight in hopes I can find another from LAX to Kona in the $300 round trip range. Does that even happen though? Or should I just cut my losses and use one carrier for the entire trip (which I know is hella easier, but I'm a sucker for a good deal)?

FTR looks like most roundtrip flights are around the $800 range, and we can leave from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or even Orlando. Also, even if something happens with the wedding, I could always visit my friends in LA and go to Disneyland. I would much rather love to be in Disneyland than anywhere else if something happened.

imageimage

Re: Should I stay or should I book now? Flights to Hawaii

• You may not ending up saving enough to be worth the hassle, as booking all at once through one airline is usually cheaper.  Also keep in mind that you would have to pay baggage fees, etc. twice if you book separately on different airlines.
  • I am always a fan of easier travel over saving a few bucks.

The only way that this could really work is if you and your FI decide to spend a day or two in LAX before flying out to Hawaii.  Then you wouldn't have to rush to get your baggage and then re-check in to your connecting flight.  But like CatLady said you would have to pay baggage fees twice along with taxes, airline fees and any other fees the airlines have in effect today.

• Ft. Lauderdale to LAX is a long flight.  Are you able to do this in a two day-each way schedule?  My DH doesn't fly well, and the last time we went to Europe, I did this, spending a night in a hotel in Boston between flights.  If you have the time, I highly recommend this.  You won't be so tired when you get to Kona.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You may not ending up saving enough to be worth the hassle, as booking all at once through one airline is usually cheaper.  Also keep in mind that you would have to pay baggage fees, etc. twice if you book separately on different airlines.
    STUCK IN BOX
    I never thought about the baggage fees! Thank you!

CMGragain said:
    Ft. Lauderdale to LAX is a long flight.  Are you able to do this in a two day-each way schedule?  My DH doesn't fly well, and the last time we went to Europe, I did this, spending a night in a hotel in Boston between flights.  If you have the time, I highly recommend this.  You won't be so tired when you get to Kona.
    I wish I could! However we only have a week for our honeymoon and want to be able to spend as much time as we can on BI. Also, we will more than likely have most of our hotel stay covered there, so less $ in the long run. But good point none the less, jet lag will be not fun

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards