Students

Is this appropriate?

I have had an extremely rough semester. I had a heavy course load, wedding planning, and some significant health issues. I fell seriously behind in one of my classes, which is an online course. My professor has been very stern about not allowing assignments to be turned in late. After I spent nearly 3 weeks in the hospital, I sent her an email explaining my situation and figured the worst that could happen was she would tell me I was out of luck. But, no. Instead she responded and has been extremely helpful and flexible in getting these assignments caught up. Because of her willingness to help me, I will still graduate on time this semester.
I want to do something for her to show her my appreciation and gratitude, but what? A letter? A card and flowers?
Any thoughts?

Re: Is this appropriate?

• Sorry to hear that things haven't been going well for you.  I think a letter would be appropriate, and if you feel it's appropriate, follow up with another letter after graduation when things are going better.  FH had a similar semester to you before he graduated, and his professors seemed to be very happy to hear from him when he got a job and when he got promoted. 

Giving her praise in course evaluations or a teaching award nomination would probably also be appreciated.

Be careful about giving a physical gift, though.  She'll likely appreciate it, but make sure that you wait until after you've received your final grade to give it, and be mindful of any limitations that the school has, such as monetary values.
  • I have done this in the past for a professor and he greatly appreciated it. I got a thank you card and wrote him something inside of it telling him how much I appreciated all he did for me. I would definitely do something maybe like a card or a letter and that would be appropriate. I would also give them a good course evaluation as well.
  • As a teacher, I can say that a card or letter from a student that expresses their gratitude would be more than enough thanks. It's always so nice to know that a student appreciates the extra time and effort it can take to get them caught up in course when issues come up during the semester. Most of my students don't understand that it took up my free time to help them make up assignments or tests or even meet up with them outside of class to get them caught up. A simple thank-you card is really perfect.

I would stay clear of a physical gift, especially if you don't know what the school's policy is.

• Thank you, everyone! I will definitely write a letter to both my professor herself and her department chair.
    I don't know what the school's policy is on physical gifts. I'm not an enrolled student at this school. I was attending this course as a transient student.
    To @bethsmiles, I am fully aware of the time she has taken from her own time to help me. She has also made a lot of concessions to help me that I am certain are not typical. I was diagnosed with Stage 2 cervical cancer just 2 weeks into the semester. When I reached out to this particular professor, she completely restructured my course requirements so I would be reasonably able to complete her course despite my several hospital stays. Her support means more to me than I have words to tell her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards