Wedding Etiquette Forum

Disagree with Miss Manners re: watches at weddings/formal events

Hello--

I was just reading Miss Manners from April 18th where the reader asked if it is okay for her to wear an elegant watch to her wedding reception.  Miss Manners said watches should not be worn for formal occasions (I guess that means for men too) because it conveys that one needs to keep track of time before moving on to the next tic on the schedule.

I found that surprising and don't agree with it. There are lots of womens' watches that look more like a pretty bracelet than a watch.  But, even if that is not the case, this seems like old fashioned advice that does not have a place anymore in our modern world. 

Just curious if I'm the one off-base or if she is.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Disagree with Miss Manners re: watches at weddings/formal events

• I've been told not to wear a watch to certain events because if you look at your watch it will convey to other people there that you are looking forward to the end of the event.  The thing is that if you wear a watch on a daily basis you will still "check" it even if you aren't wearing it so it doesn't stop people from showing impatient behavior.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is silly.  If you want to wear a watch then wear a watch.

• I love MM, and RARELY disagree with her, but this one, IMHO, is a victimless crime. You want to wear a watch? Go for it. DH wore his to our wedding. 

I didn't, but I wear a large, chunky watch on a daily basis, and it would have looked out of place with my dress. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I love MM, and RARELY disagree with her, but this one, IMHO, is a victimless crime. You want to wear a watch? Go for it. DH wore his to our wedding. 

I didn't, but I wear a large, chunky watch on a daily basis, and it would have looked out of place with my dress. 

I know!  I rarely disagree with her also and always find it a bit fun when I do.

I actually wasn't asking for me, I didn't wear a watch at my wedding, I was just interested to see what the lovely ladies at TK Etiquette thought.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Silly indeed. Would one not bring their cell phone as well? Many people use their cell phones as a watch nowadays.
  • Hello--

I was just reading Miss Manners from April 18th where the reader asked if it is okay for her to wear an elegant watch to her wedding reception.  Miss Manners said watches should not be worn for formal occasions (I guess that means for men too) because it conveys that one needs to keep track of time before moving on to the next tic on the schedule.

I found that surprising and don't agree with it. There are lots of womens' watches that look more like a pretty bracelet than a watch.  But, even if that is not the case, this seems like old fashioned advice that does not have a place anymore in our modern world. 

I don't wear a watch ever, but I think she's on solid ground here.  Can you imagine a bride sitting at dinner checking her watch?  it conveys the wrong tone.

That said, I think this is one you can safely ignore if you so choose.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Silly indeed. Would one not bring their cell phone as well? Many people use their cell phones as a watch nowadays.
    I wouldn't dream of having my cell phone on my person during my wedding.  Even if I wanted to, where would I put it??

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Seems a little silly.  I wear watches for fashion only.  

Srsly, most my watches have dead batteries. 
  • Most of my watches have dead batteries too! They're solely for fashion. 

I disagree with MM here. I think a watch is fine. 
  • I've heard that rule but I ignore it often. My watch is pretty and there is a circle of small diamonds on the face that is similar to my wedding band. I didn't wear it when I got married but DH wore his.
  • And, technically, one should never own a watch with diamonds because diamonds are only for evening. :)

Who even wears a watch these days anyway?
    I wouldn't dream of having my cell phone on my person during my wedding.  Even if I wanted to, where would I put it??
    @grumbledore Is that an etiquette thing or personal preference? I thought it could be in a small purse or clutch. Then again, I've only been to two weddings.
  • FI is a big watch fan, I think he would look like he's missing something if he didn't wear one to our wedding. 
  • I actually love this tradition because it's so quaint. Of course, that doesn't mean I follow it! I was repeatedly checking the time at my own reception so that we'd start dancing on schedule! 
    @grumbledore Is that an etiquette thing or personal preference? I thought it could be in a small purse or clutch. Then again, I've only been to two weddings.
    Are we talking about as a bride, or as a guest?  As a guest, I'd have my phone (and a small purse).  As a bride, I am not interested in carrying anything around at all, so I won't have a bag.  If I have any personal items that I need to keep at the venue, we've rented it for the day and it's private so I will just stick those things in the bathroom cabinet or something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sars06 said:
    And, technically, one should never own a watch with diamonds because diamonds are only for evening. :)

I do, everyday. But, I can't stand people who are always looking at their phone. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"

• Sars06 said:
    And, technically, one should never own a watch with diamonds because diamonds are only for evening. :)

So then by that logic we shouldn't be wearing e-rings or wedding bands with diamonds in them until after 6pm.

These fashion rules are absurd- hence why no one follows them!

I wear a watch and it has diamonds around the face, oh noes ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014

Hello--

I don't wear a watch ever, but I think she's on solid ground here.  Can you imagine a bride sitting at dinner checking her watch?  it conveys the wrong tone.

That said, I think this is one you can safely ignore if you so choose.
    I agree.  I think this is a rule that you can ignore, but I MM is correct.  To be honest, I think the no watch rule makes more sense than the no tuxes before 6 rule.

And I wear a watch nearly every day to work.  It's a business accessory. I rarely wear one outside of work.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I never wear a watch but I think this is silly. I am one of those people who looks at their phone for the time a lot. It isn't because I'm in a hurry or anything I just have this compulsive need to always know what what time it is.
    I'm planning on carrying a clutch so that I can keep my phone with me in case ppl need to call me before the ceremony- in case of emergency or issues.  Plus, I want to take some of my own pictures.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'll have both a watch and my
    Phone. I plan on stepping aside for 5 minutes to call and say good night to my dd and we do have sort of a schedule. We have dinner at a certain time, and a bus picking is up for a tou of the lv strip and a certain timeframe we need to be at the club for our bottle service table. I think it's all in how you manage yourself, I wouldn't dare check my watch while a guest was talking to me. I wouldn't do that in real life either.
  • @grumbledore I meant as a guest. I missed where the OP was talking about the bride and not the guests. I would want to be available until the moment of though in case someone was lost or having an emergency, so perhaps I'll have my phone with me until the ceremony starts. We're renting out the property for the weekend, so I'll just tuck it away somewhere.
  • I wear my diamond encrusted watch 24/7.   I think the only time I have taken it off was at my wedding.  

Oddly, I don't really look at it that often. 

DH didn't have a watch when we got married.  He got his Breitling afterwards.  Had he owned the watch at the time of the wedding I have no doubt he would have worn it. 

Victim-less crime IMO.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @grumbledore I meant as a guest. I missed where the OP was talking about the bride and not the guests. I would want to be available until the moment of though in case someone was lost or having an emergency, so perhaps I'll have my phone with me until the ceremony starts. We're renting out the property for the weekend, so I'll just tuck it away somewhere.
    Hmm, no, I'll give someone my phone I think.  I want to enjoy myself, not be giving directions or dealing with last minute crises.  At most, I'd have it with me before the ceremony, but I doubt even that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sars06 said: And, technically, one should never own a watch with diamonds because diamonds are only for evening. :)
    Who even wears a watch these days anyway? Really?  I don't think I know any professionals that
    don't wear a watch during business hours.  

I would feel weird wearing a suit without my watch.  Checking your phone just isn't appropriate in a lot of places.  
  • Hahaha no. That's why they make fancy expensive watches. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards