Wedding Reception Forum

Cocktail hour

Hi everyone!

My wedding is coming up on May 17th and am having my wedding at a private barn with the ceremony outside and the reception inside. I just found out that there is no alcohol allowed outside so I am debating on what to do for my Cocktail hour:

1. Just have it inside the barn with alcoholic beverages; guests could mingle or sit in their reception seats during the hour (while we take photos)

OR

2. Have a non-alcoholic cocktail hour outside with the focal point of an old hay wagon.

I am not sure which route to take as I know people will want cocktails during cocktail hour; yet I was really hoping for a "reveal" of the barn and a receiving line as everyone was coming in.

I would really appreciate any advice or ideas!!! Thank you!

Re: Cocktail hour

• I would do option 1

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would do option one. People wont care about a big "reveal" as much as having a yummy drink while you take photos. Can you do the receiving line as people exit the ceremony instead? Or table visits? 
  • As a guest, I would much rather have a drink than have a big reveal of the room. Most of your guests are more interested in socializing and having a good time than in your decor.
  • Hi everyone!

My wedding is coming up on May 17th and am having my wedding at a private barn with the ceremony outside and the reception inside. I just found out that there is no alcohol allowed outside so I am debating on what to do for my Cocktail hour:

1. Just have it inside the barn with alcoholic beverages; guests could mingle or sit in their reception seats during the hour (while we take photos)

OR

2. Have a non-alcoholic cocktail hour outside with the focal point of an old hay wagon.

I am not sure which route to take as I know people will want cocktails during cocktail hour; yet I was really hoping for a "reveal" of the barn and a receiving line as everyone was coming in.

I would really appreciate any advice or ideas!!! Thank you!

Drinks indoors, hands down!  Food and drinks are way more important than decor to guests.  Don't worry about a "big reveal".  Your guests will still see all the decor when they stroll in.
  • Thank you for all of the feedback! I will be the first at the venue to do it this way so I was a bit hesitant but now I am reassured- I will do an indoor cocktail hour and do table visits :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards