Wedding Party
Options

Ok to only have MOHs and Best Man stand up?

A couple people may have seen my post in A&A about the little chapel FI and I are getting married in. We love it. Today the pastor called and said he didn't think there was room for our whole bridal party to stand at the front without blocking everyone's view. (FI has 1 best man and 5 groomsmen, I have a maid and matron of honor and four bridesmaids). He suggested we just have my maid and matron of honor and the best man stand up, and then just have the rest of the bridal party walk in and sit in the first pew. 

Seems like a great plan to me, I just want to make sure that's not offensive to anyone in the bridal party, right? I sure as heck wouldn't care if I was a bm. 

Re: Ok to only have MOHs and Best Man stand up?

• Options
    Not offensive.  I was in a wedding once where the BM and MOH stayed up front with the couple while the rest of us sat in the first pew.  I actually liked it because then I could kind of relax (not always having to smile for pictures) and I didn't have to worry about my feet aching in my heels.

• Options
    I think it's fine. Your bridesmaids will probably appreciate the chance to rest their feet and actually see the ceremony. In most Catholic weddings I attend, this is how it's done anyway. 
  • Options

To me, the whole point of having BMs is for them to stand up next to you while you get married.  It seems silly to me personally to have them buy a special dress just to sit in the first pew.

However, i realize that it is done this way fairly often (many Catholic weddings I've seen were done this way, and FI was in an Indian wedding a few years ago that was the same).  It's just personal preference for me that everyone who is in the bridal party stand up.  i mean i'd be lghtly annoyed if i had to buy a special dress that i would only wear once and then i wasn't even standing up with the bride during her ceremony.  Couldn't i have just worn whatever i wanted and sat in the first pew?

• Options
    delujm0 said:

To me, the whole point of having BMs is for them to stand up next to you while you get married.  It seems silly to me personally to have them buy a special dress just to sit in the first pew.

However, i realize that it is done this way fairly often (many Catholic weddings I've seen were done this way, and FI was in an Indian wedding a few years ago that was the same).  It's just personal preference for me that everyone who is in the bridal party stand up.  i mean i'd be lghtly annoyed if i had to buy a special dress that i would only wear once and then i wasn't even standing up with the bride during her ceremony.  Couldn't i have just worn whatever i wanted and sat in the first pew?

But isn't it equally silly to ask someone to buy a special dress just because they stand up next to you? Why can't they stand up in whatever they wanted?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    I understand the reasoning for it but personally think it's kind of ridiculous to have them spend money on clothing etc and then not do the one duty/task - stand up with you during the ceremony. Kind of odd to me. 
    I get what you're saying, but having them buy a dress just to stand in one place for 20 minutes is pretty ridiculous too. I feel like the dresses are generally more for pictures than anything else. 
  • Options
    Maybe they all could sit in one of the front rows during the ceremony.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Sounds fine to me.  I would have appreciated being able to sit down when I was a bridesmaid at my brother's wedding.  Everyone in the wedding party had to stand for about 15 to 20 minutes during the ceremony.
  • Options
    vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    As other's mentioned, this is how it's typically done in Catholic weddings.  We only have bridesmaids/groomsmen (no moh/best man) so they will all be sitting in the first pew for a majority of the ceremony (no on standing with us).    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards