Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Possibly dumb question

I've seen on threads asking about dancing at receptions that guests will take their cue from the B&G in terms of when to be out on the dance floor.  I like dancing, but I am not a dance all night type of person.  I like to take breaks to sit down and chat etc.  I am slightly concerned that at my wedding, if the DJ is doing a dance set and I want to take a break halfway through to mingle or sit, the dance floor is going to dwindle, esp. since we are having a smallish wedding (80 guests, several on the older side).  I think I am going to feel pressured to be dancing the whole time even if I want to take a break.  Am I over-thinking this or is this a legitimate concern? 

Re: Possibly dumb question

• Options
    Over-thinking. At my wedding the dancing continued when I went to the ladies room, the bar, outside for a fresh air or to visit with guests at the table. I think as long as the DJ plays good music, it will draw people out to the dance floor. I would try to be out there for the first few songs to help get things going, but once it's started, you don't need to stay out there all night. In fact I recommend trying to remember to take a few moments to stand back from everything by yourself or with your new husband and just take everything in. All those people there are there because of you and to celebrate this wonderful event in your life.
  • Options
    Over thinking.  In my experience the guests only take their cues from the bride and groom as to when the dance floor is opened.  Once the spotlight dances have completed and the floor is open to all, and the lively music starts, if you have a crowd of dancer all the need to stay on the dance floor is a good DJ ;-)

It won't matter where you are, at that point.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Don't worry.  If you guests like to dance, they won't quit just because you take a break.  

I think people mean that the guests take their cue to start dancing when you do.  When our DJ started the dance music, I was sure to get out for the first 2-3 songs, which brought the dancers to the floor.  After that, you couldn't have forced my aunts from the dance floor, even though I went off to chat with people I didn't see often.  
  • Options
    Glad to know I was just over-thinking it.  :)  Thanks, ladies.
  • Options
    Overthinking it. Once a party gets started, a party don't stop! :) Dance for the first few songs to establish the mood, but then you're free to do whatever.
  • Options
    Yep another overthinking. 

BTW  - I'm not much a dancer.   For some reason I was on the dance floor a lot of the night because I wanted to.  I guess I was on some natural high?  IDK,  I even surprised myself on that one

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I love to dance, and I will dance all night at a wedding, regardless of what the B&G are doing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards