Wedding Reception Forum

Decoration & Activity Ideas?

We chose our venue and date! The cabin is located in a popular mountain town in southern California. It's very simple, which we like.

I would just love your thoughts and ideas regarding decorations and activities. I've heard on here that natural areas don't need as many decorations but I think it's easier when you can see the venue. As for activities, FI and I met at a camp, and still work at fun places outdoors - so we're very open to holding activities, but we realize some guests would like to just chill, drink and chat. We want the reception to feel like a relaxing, family BBQ.

Thoughts?

Re: Decoration & Activity Ideas?

• I don't have much advice to offer on decor/activities but I just had to say I LOVE your location!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pretty! I'm of the mind of minimal decoration, especially for natural areas. You don't want to take away from the already existing beauty of the place! What time of day would the reception be? You'll need some lighting for an evening reception. String lights, paper lanterns, or candles are always kind of cool for outdoor lighting. Other than that, I guess tables and chairs, obviously, and maybe some flowers? I wouldn't do too much else, but that's just me. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like @lawhead's ideas for decor.

I wouldn't really plan on any "activities" though.  Your wedding and reception is the activity.  People will likely just want to hang out with each other, chat, eat, and drink.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would maybe leave things out for guests who choose to do something.  Maybe some frisbees (you can get personalized one in your colors and with your names), or lawn games like corn hole and lawn golf.  I've seen some AWESOME custom corn hole sets out there.  Remember, if guests are dressing semi-nicely, they wont want to get dirty and sweaty.  

As for the decor, I would focus on nice centerpieces and linens.  I wouldnt do much with the actual natural surroundings. 
  • I don't understand what you mean by "activities."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    I don't understand what you mean by "activities."
    Stuff to do during the reception, since it is very unlikely that we'll be renting a dance floor.
  • AddieCake said:
    I don't understand what you mean by "activities."
    Stuff to do during the reception, since it is very unlikely that we'll be renting a dance floor.
    Eating, drinking and mingling is all I need to have a good time.  
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    We didn't have a dance floor or alternative activities. Ditto Joan (as I so often do because she is awesome) about eating, drinking, and mingling to music is activity enough.

However, since you want it to feel like a family BBQ, there is nothing wrong with having some outdoor lawn games for people who DO want to participate. I personally would not, but I think it's a know your crowd thing.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • S'mores!
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards