Getting in Shape

Overweight Bride - End of the world? Or personal acceptance?

I am about 60 lb overweight. I lost 40 lb in 2011 by exercising 1 hour per day, 6 days per week, and eating what I was supposed to. I went away for my birthday, and unfortunately, never stopped the party. Gained it ALL back with about 5 more pounds extra. I got engaged in 2012 and ever since, I have been hoping that I would do it again and lose the weight again by my wedding day. I have known for about 8 months now where and when the wedding would be. Finding the motivation to lose the weight just hasn't manifested as much as I (believe) I want it to.

I think at this point, two months away from the day.... I am starting to kind of progress... but in the back of my mind, and in my heart, I know I won't be the skinny bride I hoped. I am wondering which others like me went ahead with their weddings (duh), weight issues and all, and don't regret a thing. I think my biggest worry is regretting my photos for the rest of my life. I don't "feel" like an overweight person as I only became one as an adult, however, this is how most people know me so it shouldn't be a huge deal. My fears are not "not being stunning" (my dress rocks, and I look great in it and I love it , even in the size that fits me now) maybe my biggest fears are disappointing others that are seeing me with all the weight I gained the last time they saw me, whether that be high school or whenever it was.... or my other fear is looking back always hating how I look, regretting I couldn't restrict myself for this monumenal occasion and photos. ("I did it before with nothing important going on, why couldn't I buckle down?")

I think I am just hoping for proof life will go on, flaws and all and would love reassurance from brides that had similar fears about their weight and pics. I hope this all made sense. Thanks and if nothing else the show will go on ;)

Re: Overweight Bride - End of the world? Or personal acceptance?

• My wedding hasn't happened yet (November 2014), but I feel the same way you do about it. Last year, I dropped 10 lbs in 3 months with little effort then stopped and gained it back and then some. Now, I can't muster the same minimal effort I had even then. It sucks.

It's like I could have written this myself. I hope there are others who chime in with their experiences.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I promise you life does go on. But I think looking great is a mindset. If you feel confident in your own skin, it will show.

I had the same fears you have about my wedding pictures. I wondered if my arms would look flabby in a strapless gown or if I would have that lovely armpit fat/ roll showing. But now when I look at my wedding pictures, all I see is how happy and in love H and I look.

I found a dress that flattered my body and I rocked my curves. Everyone commented on how I was such a happy bride, no one need to know that my thighs were more than touching.

If you are motivated, 2 months is still plenty of time to make some changes. Try little stuff. Dont eat dessert, walk the dog, take the stairs, add a veggie to lunch, get more sleep, etc. It will make a huge difference. I wouldnt try to completely revamp everything you do. A total life overhaul is rarely realistic.

Little tidbit: everyone looks skinnier with a tan. So get a spray tan a day or two before the wedding.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • jayandtiffsjayandtiffs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2014
    thank you, doeydo, you're an angel. They are so gorgeous and wouldn't mind at all being in company with them. Thank you to the people who replied so far. Ever since I posted it I felt a huge weight was lifted, pun intended sort of :P.... I may be happier than I have been in months. Friends tried to assure me before but this really really helped. Thank you for not calling me a crazy person and offering support!!! <3<3
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I lost 30+ pounds in 2010 and, like you, gained it all back and then some after graduating and starting a FT office job (so much sitting!). I've been very unhappy with my weight since reaching the point where I had to buy all new jeans in sizes I never would have thought I'd be in, so I completely understand the struggle. 

I've wanted to get rid of (not lose, because I don't want to find it again) some weight for awhile now, but I've never really put 100% into it. With my wedding seven months away, I feel like I'm finally getting some of the motivation I need but things are progressing very slowly. The other day I realized I need to be happy with myself at the size I am now. Any other line of thought is going to either make me feel like a failure or disappoint me, you know? 

Let's say in five years you lose the weight and you're bigger in your wedding photos. Sounds like a great excuse to treat yourself to a celebratory day. Try on your old wedding dress if you still have it, rejoice in the victory (because lots of people gain after marriage, not the other way around), and have some sexy time with your husband who you know will always love you just the way you are. 
  • I had totally lost my motivation... ate healthy and worked out but wasn't super focused about... then came trying on my dress... IT DIDN'T FIT... so I had >4 months to work on it... I'm 2 months in and have totally re-focused - feeling much better (dress almost fits perfectly)... I worked with the dress shop to find a great solution to hide the armpit fat - so now I don't have to stress! 

FI and I both joined together which is super helpful - he's what we'll call "husky" and knows what it's like to struggle with weight. His support has been amazing!! We will always love each other no matter what - but I know having his support right now is what is making a big difference for me and for him! We workout together and make healthy meals! 

We all have struggles in life and motivation comes and goes... so just hug the ones you love and be happy - life is never perfect but you can still have all the happiness in the world!!!!
  • I'm so with you!

I'm about 25 lbs overweight (I am, of course, measuring from the high end of the weight range). When we got engaged last July, I had grand plans of losing weight and then did nothing about it-- pretty much the story of my adult life.

Went for my first fitting in late February, dress was too big on top, fit great in the hips. I said to myself, "I have a month before the second fitting. They already said that because there's so much work to do, they will have to do several fittings. Maybe I can lose some weight in the next month and then they can take the dress in." Flash back to this Tuesday night, went for my fitting, same weight I was when I got engaged.

Got on the scale this morning and I'm five lbs lighter than I was on Monday. I skipped dinner one night (busy schedule, skipping dinner was NOT planned), skipped breakfast one morning (again, not planned- I had an early meeting), and had a protein shake for lunch two days this week instead of eating (mostly because I was booked through lunch and it's easier to have a cup on my desk than try to eat a parfait or a sandwich in a meeting). The wedding is in four weeks, next fitting is in less than 2. I have no delusion that (1) I can keep skipping meals between now and the wedding and (2) that I'm all of a sudden going to turn into a fitness nut.

It seems like I finally made my peace with being this size for the wedding and then lost five lbs. What the hell?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    I understand. I am extremely over weight, and I lost 120lbs. In June I had surgery and had my gallbladder removed. After that the doctor told me to not worry about the weight for a couple weeks while I test my stomach for what foods my cause problems for me in the future.. since then I haven't been able to get back on track and I gained 37lbs. I am less than 2 months away and instead of being closer to where I wanted to be, I am further. I am kicking myself.... but at the same time, I remember my FH loved me at my biggest and will continue to love me because losing weight is a HUGE struggle.
  • @jayandtiffs

Like you, I have 2 months to go and have about 30 lbs that I've been attempting to lose but just keep allowing to stay put (stress eating, "too icy and cold" to go to the gym, I keep trying to match what FI eats, etc. And like you I know I've done this before). At this point, I'm ready to try harder again, but know logically I still won't be at that weight (which isn't even my healthy ideal!) on The Day. Like you, my dress looks pretty great on me as is (sexy curves and all), but I'm a bit worried about regretting the way I look in our wedding pictures (or honeymoon pictures on the beach). ;)

What others have said about your FI loving you for who you are--that's totally true and should be taken to heart. And if we actually make the time to eat better and become more active, we'll just naturally be emotionally and physically in a better place. I've been thinking a lot about my posture as well.  

But when I am feeling really down, I turn to this message which puts things back into perspective for me: http://myfriendteresablog.com/so-youre-feeling-too-fat-to-be-photographed/

Best, best luck to you! Hope you find that happy place!

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• KatWAG said:

I promise you life does go on. But I think looking great is a mindset. If you feel confident in your own skin, it will show.

I had the same fears you have about my wedding pictures. I wondered if my arms would look flabby in a strapless gown or if I would have that lovely armpit fat/ roll showing. But now when I look at my wedding pictures, all I see is how happy and in love H and I look.

I found a dress that flattered my body and I rocked my curves. Everyone commented on how I was such a happy bride, no one need to know that my thighs were more than touching.

If you are motivated, 2 months is still plenty of time to make some changes. Try little stuff. Dont eat dessert, walk the dog, take the stairs, add a veggie to lunch, get more sleep, etc. It will make a huge difference. I wouldnt try to completely revamp everything you do. A total life overhaul is rarely realistic.

Little tidbit: everyone looks skinnier with a tan. So get a spray tan a day or two before the wedding.

Quoting this part of what KatWAG said because I loved it! How happy and peaceful a couple looks is always what strikes me in wedding pictures, and I'm sure it's all I'll see when I look at my own! :) 
  • blondelf26blondelf26 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    @jayandtiffs I was at my heaviest in Jan. and was so uncomfortable in my own skin that I HAD to do something to change it. My main motivation was that but I just got engaged in Oct and knew that I wanted to look and feel my best on my wedding day! My best friend introduced me to the 24 day challenge by AdvoCare. It's not a "fad diet" but a lifestyle change. I had amazing results and my energy has increased times 10. I haven't felt this great in years and that is what has made me continue to lead a healthy lifestyle. I loved the products so much and had such great results. Every challenger gets a coach throughout the 24 days and they are added to a support group on FB that consists of past and present challengers. It's an awesome place to get support, ask questions, and get some great recipe ideas. They urge you to eat 3 meals a day with 3 snacks in between which revs up your metabolism. If you or anybody else is interested, I can send some info your way. I hope all of you get to that place you want to be on your wedding day. Good luck to you all!!! Soshea0326@yahoo.com
  • Anyone with an upcoming wedding (mine is in November 2014) want to partner up to stay motivated and accountable?
  • My wedding is in 11 days. I've been stressing about my weight sooo much for past several months. I've finally reached a place where I just don't care - in a good way. I'm not plus size but I'm definitely not a skinny bride. 
    It's easy to lose sight of what the wedding is supposed to be about. Instead of imagining how jiggly my arms will look or how fat my back will look, I envision seeing my fiance for the first time, doing our first dance, being with all our family and friends. Sure, I may have to rock some Spanx and maybe suck it in a little, but I'll be happy (and a spray tan won't hurt).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats kat & Matt! I am excited for you! 6 weeks from today we are flying to vegas and our wedding is 3 days later. freakin me out now ;)
  • I so understand where you are coming from!  I have had the same worries.  We set our date about a year ago and I was determined to drop about 50 lbs.  By November I was halfway there, then we got a dog and a house and life got crazy.  I haven't lost much since and now the wedding is three weeks away.  

I was having a pity party and my sister said something that changed my perspective....it's not about being skinny for a day, it's about being healthy for life.  I may not be at my ultimate goal weight for my wedding day, but I am much healthier and happier now than I ever have been.  

We are getting married in Vegas and my plan is to rock my wedding dress (which I love), have a fabulous time marrying the man of my dreams and continue on the healthy path we've created over the last year.  And once I do drop the remaining 25 lbs, I'm going to bring my dress in, shorten it and we are going to have an amazing photo shoot all over Vegas!
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • awesome ktbabe530! im also getting married in vegas in 4 weeks. eeee. where are you doing it?
  • vanessaninivanessanini member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2014
    I watch vedio about weight lossing on the Internet and exercise regularly with my good friends. That is encouranging.Accompanying by friends motivated me to a large extent.You may invite your friends to do workout together.
  • At the Mirage - what about you?  Have you made your way to the local Vegas board yet?  It's been so helpful!  Viva Las Vegas!!  You will look great no matter what! 
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • @Future_Mrs_DeSonier - you should be ashamed of yourself. Nobody wants your magi fairy dust. Diet pills are a scam, and super unhealthy. Please stop trying to sell things here. Vendors are not allowed. Quit posing as a bride to make your wallet fatter and people sick.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards