Honeymoon Discussions

NWR Cruise through Asia?

We are looking at two different cruises for this winter.  What are your thoughts?

#1 Grand Asia with Princess.  17 nights.  Beijing, China,  Busan, South Korea,  Nagasaki, Japan,  Shanghai, Hong Kong (2 days), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,  Bangkok, Thailand, and Singapore.
Cost:  $1872 pp, including taxes & port charges.

#2 Singapore and Southest Asia with Princess.  15 nights.  Singapore, Bangkok and Ko Samui, Thailand,  Jakarta, Bali (2 days), Komodo, and Lombock, Malasia, and back to Singapore.
Cost:  $2300 pp, and about $500 extra in airfare.

DH likes the 2nd cruise.  I like the savings and shopping on the first.  What do you think?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: NWR Cruise through Asia?

• I just went to Asia in October. It was not a cruise but we flew into Tokyo, spent 6 days there, then 2 days down in Kyoto, then flew to Beijing for 5 days. Japan was absolutely amazing, I really loved it. But I didn't go to Nagasaki. I would assume it would be similar to Kyoto though with the centuries old traditional Japanese gardens and temples. Those were stunning to see, so sirene.

How many days is it docked in Beijing? Just one or 2? I would chose this one because I personally would not fly all the way around the world and NOT see the Great Wall. Beijing was filthy and gross and I hated it, however the Great Wall and some of the temples and palaces made it absolutely worth it. I didn't feel safe in the hotel and I was very uncomfortable that nobody spoke English. I would have enjoyed myself and the city much more had I been on a cruise to go back to at night!

My mom is a travel agent, so she has been on the first itinerary and she loved Hong Kong and Shanghai. I don't know anything about any of the places of the second itinerary. It does seem pretty sweet to get 2 extra nights for $1,000 less per person.

• I just got back from Hong Kong and LOVED IT.  two days wouldn't be even nearly enough there though. I was there for 5 and i want to go back immediately.  I ws also in Tokyo, and I enjoyed it, but I liked Hong Kong far more.  I went to Thailand years ago as well.

it kind of sounds like the second cuise is more beachy (multiple parts of Thailand, Malaysia, and Bali for two nights) - are you more of a beach person or a city person?  that might be the best way to decide - what are your priorities on this vacation?  I'm personally more of a city person so i'd do the first one - but i know plenty of people that would prefer the second. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Good point!  I like cities, but my husband is into nature.  We both like history and culture.  Neither of us is a lay on the beach person.  DH wants to see and do everything.  He really likes gardens.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Well regarding being active and in nature, i think you'd have options on both cruises - on the first one, from Beijing you could go see the Great Wall, Hong Kong is surrounded by beautiful places to hike, and the Chi Lin Nunnary, which is in the city, has beautiful and expansive gardens.  i've heard great things about Nagasaki and Singapore as well as Vietnam.

Bangkok might not be that exciting for you, so it's unfortunate that it's on both tours, but my friend went to Jakarta for a weekend a few months ago and didn't lay on the beach at all...they had no problem filling up their time visiting temples, etc.  So you'd have options on both for sure.  For me, i'd be leaning toward the first one...it would have more i'd personally be interested in.  and i love hong kong.  :-)

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    #1 seems to have more that I'm interested in personally (shopping, some of the big Asian sites).

I think if I did #2, I'd still want to go back to China someday, and it seems silly to take basically the same trip twice. (I mean, unless you specifically want to re-visit somewhere, but I'd rather spend the second "trip time" going somewhere totally different.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards