Wedding Party
Options

Need advice on bridesmaids dresses

Hi there. I have a problem. I have 12 bridesmaids and they live all over the country. I have no idea what they should wear. I was going to pick a variety of dresses from David's Bridal since it's all over and they can go whenever they have time but I hate all the dresses on there. My wedding is next May. It's going to be pretty hot so they need short dresses and my colors are tiffany blue and blush. I really didn't like the blush color but tiffany blue is so hard to match. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of some place/website that they can all get dresses? I'd like a variety of dresses in the same color. Thanks. 

Re: Need advice on bridesmaids dresses

• Options
    JMS62415 said:
    Hi there. I have a problem. I have 12 bridesmaids and they live all over the country. I have no idea what they should wear. I was going to pick a variety of dresses from David's Bridal since it's all over and they can go whenever they have time but I hate all the dresses on there. My wedding is next May. It's going to be pretty hot so they need short dresses and my colors are tiffany blue and blush. I really didn't like the blush color but tiffany blue is so hard to match. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of some place/website that they can all get dresses? I'd like a variety of dresses in the same color. Thanks. 
    True "Tiffany" blue is impossible to match since it's trademarked. But a lot of places have a mint green or a robin's egg blue or what have you that is similar. Have you looked at Alfred Angelo or other wedding designers? And did you ask your bridesmaids for their budgets? I really liked a lot of the dresses in the Alexia bridesmaid line, which is what my cousin chose for her wedding this past December. We all wore different dresses in the same color and fabric and looked fabulous. Their website has a store locator so you can make sure all of your bridesmaids can go to their local bridal salons.
  • Options

Ask each BM for their budget privately.  Then find a designer, with a color you like and that has many dresses under the lowest budget.  Then tell all of your girls to use x designer, knee length, in color y.  The girls can go to any local bridal shop that carries that line and order it.

Another thing you can do is keep an eye on the designs at department or online stores.  Then when you find a dress you like in budget ask all the girls to purchase it. 

Remember that you aren't getting married until next May, so wait until November of this year for your BMs to order.  I would say to wait until Dec, but money can be tight for everyone then.  And if you are going with David's, you can probably wait until Feb.

• Options
    Ditto PPs -- look for other designers, and think outside the box. J.Crew, Ann Taylor, Macy's, Target -- they all have wedding lines, and a lot of the dresses are cute and re-wearable.

You're going to have a hard time matching true Tiffany blue, since, as a PP pointed out, it's trademarked. You can find colours that have similar tones in their CMYK make-up, though. 

I did a Google search for 'Tiffany blue bridesmaid dresses' and this is what I came up with for shopping results: 

You can see that even within those parameters, there's a wide range of colour options. 

Find out everyone's budget, find a designer with a range of dresses at or below the lowest price point, and let them each pick their own style.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! It helped a lot. 
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    There is always the option to not dictate their attire. Or to have them each wear a LBD of their choosing. While it isn't wrong, I really don't understand the matchy bridesmaid thing.
  • Options
    I don't want them to match. 
  • Options
    Look up Bella Bridesmaids and see if they have locations in the places you need; they are in most major cities.

I loved the dresses they carried, and my girls could go try dresses on and get measured in their hometowns. They do online ordering as well.

I picked a designer and color. Easiest thing in the world.
  • Options

How is this for close to Tiffany blue? These are from target and called Blue Ocean

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=blue+ocean+bridesmaid&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_blue+ocean+bridesmaid

or maybe this turquise also from Target?

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=+turquise+bridesmaid&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_+turquise+bridesmaid

These dresses aren't carried in the store, only online. But since it is online, it wouldn't matter where your BM live & if they have a Target nearby. Plus you can't go wrong with the prices.

• Options
    I am shocked no one on TK talks about www.weddingtonway.com

(for the record, I'm new here, and I don't know if this isn't allowed, I'm certainly not sponsored by them or anything, I just really think more brides need to know about this super amazing service)

I have 7 bridesmaids.  The closest one is 3 hours away, and 3 of them are clear across the country. We used Weddington Way so all 7 of them could look through all the dresses and add styles and colors they liked.  I could go through and "like" and comment on the dresses I really liked, delete ones I didn't etc.  They have a program where you can have a sample shipped to you (might be a different color) but the size/style they are interested in and then try it on and return it.  I am having all 7 of my girls in different dresses and they coordinate beautifully.  The mother of 3 and the 14-year old each got to pick dresses that were flattering and age-appropriate to them. 

Seriously, this is one of the best wedding resource I've used so far.  It's the best way for everyone to be involved in the decision and have input.  I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards