Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting the SO from hell

2»

Re: Inviting the SO from hell

• Y'all are way nicer than me when you say "she's made threats of violence, you don't have to invite her." Even without the violence, she sounds like a poisonous person. I wouldn't invite her solely on the basis that she's awful and everyone hates her!

Nearly every rule has an exception, and in this case the exception is that you don't have to invite somebody who nobody can stand just because they're dating a family member. The threats are just the icing on the psycho cake.
  • Definitely don't invite her. She's made threats of physical violence, that's a deal-breaker. Also, I would make it clear to FBIL exactly WHY his crazy-pants GF isn't invited and that she is most definitely not welcome and this is non-negotiable.
    Friday nailed it, as usual.

I don't think you can reasonably expect your FI to NOT invite his brother especially if he wants him in the WP. But if FBIL is invited and chooses to stay at home with crazypants instead, that's on him. You should consider how you will deal with the GF, if she shows up uninvited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    In a way I feel relieved that I'm not the only one that has experienced this!  My brother has a GF just like this and I was refusing to invite her.  My mother told me if I did so my brother wouldn't come and I was ok with that, she had at some point tried to start something physically or verbally with everyone but 1 in the WP - no way I was dealing with that on a wedding day!! Fortunately they broke up in fall and she seems to be gone for good!!  I hope you FBIL comes to his senses as well!
  • Not only are you well within your rights not to invite her, you're free to let FBIL know why. "Given her history of being violent and threatening towards others, we really don't feel comfortable having her there."

When people make decisions, those decisions have consequences. When the decision is to be in a relationship with somebody who is volatie, the consequences are such that their S/O is not welcome everywhere with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards