Snarky Brides

"Friend" vs. "Acquaintance" Vent

A girl from high school (10 years ago) that I played a sport with (notice I did not say friend because, really we weren't ever really close, at least I don't think so... I don't even know her birthday or middle name!) Anyways, she asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding like 6 years ago. I actually was going to say no because I don't even know why she would ask me, we didn't even talk but like 3 times in those 4 years in between except maybe a facebook comment here or there. Anyways, I did. She's a very big "one upper" so my FI and family don't even like her. When we got engaged she made a comment on my facebook about her being a bridesmaid. Now, maybe I'm just being a witch, but hell no. Anyways, planning goes on, her and I don't talk (nothing new) and we've sent our save the dates. About 2 months later she sends me a message that she would love to see my baby and she's in town if I could find time for dinner. FI said it was a bad idea bc she just lights fire under me with her comments and always trying to one up everyone. But I did.... and she brought up wedding stuff. I mentioned it was going to be really small and formal and heard her comments about how she better be invited and how I needed to make it more casual so it was cheaper so I could accomadate more guests. Anyways, I blew it off. Now here we are still 4 months from the wedding and haven't spoke with her since then (about 3 months ago) and she posts some random a** facebook status about "We've been friends for 15 years, but I don't have room for you at my wedding. Wow. Ok." 1. What makes you post this now when I haven't spoke to you in months? and 2. My family and FI do not like you! I'm not your biggest fan by any means, but I have been trying so hard to be nice! I may be being a big B bc I was a BM for her, but her "It was like $20 a person for my wedding, you can afford that to invite me" is so rude, and I'm so tired of seeing the one up comments. Ok, end rant, I'm just annoyed.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "Friend" vs. "Acquaintance" Vent

• Wow, seriously rude...Don't take it too seriously and don't worry too much about it. Honestly, I'd just cease contact with her completely, but that's just me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister did that a few years ago and it was a HUGE drama fest. It would be much bigger with me, but I am very thankful for the block on FB and am prob just going to block and delete. I just looked and she deleted the entire status about friends for 15+ years (but I had actually screenshot it and sent it to my sister when I saw it). I'm sure she was rambling on in the comments about how rude I am and how "close" we are. I've come to the conclusion, she didn't have friends so asked me.
  • Gina0887 said:
    My sister did that a few years ago and it was a HUGE drama fest. It would be much bigger with me, but I am very thankful for the block on FB and am prob just going to block and delete. I just looked and she deleted the entire status about friends for 15+ years (but I had actually screenshot it and sent it to my sister when I saw it). I'm sure she was rambling on in the comments about how rude I am and how "close" we are. I've come to the conclusion, she didn't have friends so asked me.
    Her wedding was $20 pp? How in the name of all that is holy did she manage that? So sorry you know someone who is so rude and selfish, she definitely has a different view on your relationship than you do. I'd click "Remove as friend" on facebook asap, doesn't sound like she is really contributing much to your life (other than stress). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Her wedding was very casual and apparently thinks mine needs to be more casual so I can invite more people. None of her business. I really need to remove her as a friend, but I know then it will be even bigger drama via texts and phone. She is crazy. (literally)
  • The block her number first, then unfriend her.

Our wedding was about $40-$50/PP (including food, alcohol, PP charge, and valet parking), but it was far from casual.

But we also got married in central PA on a Sunday during the off-season.

If no one in your family likes her and you have no intention of continuing the friendship, block and then unfriend her.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • "Don't let the door hit ya."

• Yeah, just unfriend her and forget her. You aren't friends.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yup. Unfriend her/block her and then block her number!
  • It seems like maybe your friendship meant a lot more to her than it did to you. Or maybe she is just crazy and bitchy. But I do think that when you play a role in people's weddings, they kinda expect it in return. I was the MOH in my cousin's wedding like 12 years ago. We've talked like 4 times in the past decade. Just not that close anymore. I've gone to the town where she lives to visit family and she didn't make time for me. So, since we're having a small wedding (under 50 ppl) she isn't invited. I honestly don't care for her and don't want her 3 kids at the wedding, so she isn't invited. I personally let her know that we just can't afford a large wedding so we have a very small guest list of immediate family and close friends only, which is actually true. She gave no real response. She is apparently upset because she gave me such an important job at her wedding (over a decade ago) and I didn't ask her to be a bridesmaid or even come to my wedding. I hate the whole thing where people feel entitled. Or like family makes you obligated to invite people. Sorry. This totally accidentally turned into my own rant, but it just makes me mad that people think they're supposed to have a place in your life when you don't even talk on a regular basis. These people are not good for us- cut em loose and call it a day. 
  • You should chose people to be in your wedding party who are important to you, but shouldn't ever expect that in return. This drives me CRAZY.

I was in a close friend's wedding last summer, along with 11 other girls in the wedding party. She's not one of my 3 bridesmaids. No drama, we're fine.
  • @weddingmcgee I did tell her that as well. She just doesn't want to hear it. But off the wall facebook statuses? Really?!?! She's a big AW. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards