Snarky Brides

24 Ways to Throw a Spectacular Country Themed Wedding

Since it's Buzzfeed, I can only assume that this list is oozing with sarcasm. God I hope so. Think of the atrocities that could result from poor naive little snowflakes finding this and thinking it's good advice. 

Is there no hope for the wedding world?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 24 Ways to Throw a Spectacular Country Themed Wedding

• The burlap dress! Noooooooo.
  • Omg my friend who fired me from her wedding party is having more than half of these. She even wanted the hay ride until I reminded her she is allergic to hay and would spend the day red and splotchy!
  • I think my personal favorite might be the mechanical bull rental. I mean, who wouldn't enjoy a nice jaunt on a jerking, neck-breaking motorized bovine in their wedding dress? 

I'm so disappointed that I didn't think of that for my wedding that isn't even country themed. It would have been great entertainment, and one of my guests has a son who is a chiropractor- I bet he would have appreciated the business!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh #19 hurts my eyes.
  • The only thing I can say after reading that is #17 it's called jute, not "lasso bow".  I still don't think people should throw burlap, jute, and boots on everything for a wedding if they have never heretofore seen such things off Pinterest. 
  • I love that #4 has "April 31st" as the date.
  • Those pictures were awful!

I'm loling that about 99% of the commenter's got very, very offended by this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love buzzfeed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I adore Buzzfeed's lists! This one had me laughing.

I love how every other suggestion involves mason jars. And that poor little flowergirl in that burlap dress!
    To be fair, I actually liked the sunflowers with the twinkle light suggestion. I don't usually like sunflowers, but that was actually pretty.
  • Those mason jar wine glasses are actually a product. We have them at my work. It's a mason jar glued to a candlestick for $12.99. Each.
  • Those mason jar wine glasses are actually a product. We have them at my work. It's a mason jar glued to a candlestick for $12.99. Each.
    At least they're slightly nicer looking than the damn solo cup glasses.

#25: If you were actually country, you wouldn't be trying so damn hard to look country. 

I am wearing boots with my dress, but it's just for fun and as much for practicality as anything (comfier, didn't want to tower over FI, needed a new pair of riding boots anyway), and am not planning on showing them except for a couple photographs. I wouldn't dream of making the WP do the same because a) they would never wear them otherwise and b) it looks ridiculous. 

I know someone getting married a couple months after me that are doing the mason jar everything, camo and orange are the colors, etc. At least they actually do live on a farm and hunt and stuff, but ick, there's a time and place. 
  • Also, asking your WP to buy cowboy boots (if they don't already have them, or the ones they have are too worn) is pretty ballsy. I don't wear them, but I went to Texas for work a few months ago and decided to check them out. Every pair I liked was $200 or more. YIKES.

Maybe the more basic ones are a bit cheaper, but I didn't pick anything that had super-fancy embroidery or rhinestones - they were just nice boots with pretty designs.
  • #18 had me laughing hysterically at work. "Use burlap for everything."

Lol, I love buzzfeed.
  • FiancB said:
    Those mason jar wine glasses are actually a product. We have them at my work. It's a mason jar glued to a candlestick for $12.99. Each.

#25: If you were actually country, you wouldn't be trying so damn hard to look country. 

I am wearing boots with my dress, but it's just for fun and as much for practicality as anything (comfier, didn't want to tower over FI, needed a new pair of riding boots anyway), and am not planning on showing them except for a couple photographs. I wouldn't dream of making the WP do the same because a) they would never wear them otherwise and b) it looks ridiculous. 

I know someone getting married a couple months after me that are doing the mason jar everything, camo and orange are the colors, etc. At least they actually do live on a farm and hunt and stuff, but ick, there's a time and place. 
    I can't remember which show it was (I think SYTTD) where the girl was going to where her "poo boots" but she was proud of herself for getting new ones?  This made me think of that.. she really did live on a farm and just wanted to wear her comfortable boots... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, asking your WP to buy cowboy boots (if they don't already have them, or the ones they have are too worn) is pretty ballsy. I don't wear them, but I went to Texas for work a few months ago and decided to check them out. Every pair I liked was $200 or more. YIKES.

Maybe the more basic ones are a bit cheaper, but I didn't pick anything that had super-fancy embroidery or rhinestones - they were just nice boots with pretty designs.
    This. A friend of mine got asked to be a BM in a wedding and the bride sent them pictures of a dress and cowboy boots. "here's the dress. go to this place, get measured, and order it. here are the boots. you can buy them at this website." My friend was a little taken aback, to say the least. Her first comment to me was "but I don't want or NEED cowboy boots, I don't ride horses I don't live on a farm WHY do I need to buy these boots?!" So, those brides that think OMG WE WILL ALL LOOK SO CUTE IN PICTURES... sorry nobody loves your cowboy boot idea as much as you do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I search burlap on Pinterest. I'm still sifting through all the crap you can do with it.
  • Yeah, decent boots are insanely expensive. I have some Ariats that are more midpriced but still insane enough to where I'd never dare think of asking anyone to spend that much on shoes for a day. High end ones like Luccheses top $400 faster than damn designer shoes. 

Cheap fake boots do stick out like a sore thumb though! 

lulz at the comments. 
  • valharte said:
    FiancB said:
    Those mason jar wine glasses are actually a product. We have them at my work. It's a mason jar glued to a candlestick for $12.99. Each.

I can't remember which show it was (I think SYTTD) where the girl was going to where her "poo boots" but she was proud of herself for getting new ones?  This made me think of that.. she really did live on a farm and just wanted to wear her comfortable boots... 
    This reminds me, I had a nightmare the other night that I forgot the boots I bought for the wedding and accidentally wore my beat up, ugly poo boots instead. Ha!
  • tcnoble said:
    Also, asking your WP to buy cowboy boots (if they don't already have them, or the ones they have are too worn) is pretty ballsy. I don't wear them, but I went to Texas for work a few months ago and decided to check them out. Every pair I liked was $200 or more. YIKES.

This. A friend of mine got asked to be a BM in a wedding and the bride sent them pictures of a dress and cowboy boots. "here's the dress. go to this place, get measured, and order it. here are the boots. you can buy them at this website." My friend was a little taken aback, to say the least. Her first comment to me was "but I don't want or NEED cowboy boots, I don't ride horses I don't live on a farm WHY do I need to buy these boots?!" So, those brides that think OMG WE WILL ALL LOOK SO CUTE IN PICTURES... sorry nobody loves your cowboy boot idea as much as you do.
    That's exactly it. I would never wear boots, ever, so I'd be super-pissed if someone asked me to buy some.

Of course, this goes back to the whole rule that if you're going to ask your BMs to buy a specific shoe, etc, you should pay for it.

I don't mind buying shoes when the bride says, "Just get something black/nude/whatever and dressy," because then I can find something I'll wear again.
  • I'm so lazy. My MOH is wearing a black dress she already owned. And we're wearing our matching silver heels because we can.
  • tcnoble said:
    Also, asking your WP to buy cowboy boots (if they don't already have them, or the ones they have are too worn) is pretty ballsy. I don't wear them, but I went to Texas for work a few months ago and decided to check them out. Every pair I liked was $200 or more. YIKES.

This, this, this!  I had to buy cowboy boots for a wedding last year. It was my sister's and I love her, so I did.  But they cost $100!  I do wear them on occasion because I hate wasting the money, but I always feel like I'm trying to hard to be a cowgirl whenever I wear them.  I would have preferredto spend that money on a pair of nice classic heeled boots that I could wear with a skirt or jeans or anything. Cowboy boots are really casual, so I can't wear them to dress up a little like I could with regular boots.
  • jalyndani said:

Since it's Buzzfeed, I can only assume that this list is oozing with sarcasm. God I hope so. Think of the atrocities that could result from poor naive little snowflakes finding this and thinking it's good advice. 

Is there no hope for the wedding world?
    I live in this type of environment. I am marrying a former cowboy.
    I've seen a lot of this in action. No. No, no, no, no, no.
    I'll be more generous with the boots thing--I just don't think they look graceful with dresses, so my girls arent wearing them. But the guys will. Most people in our circle already have them. DRESS SHOES might be an extra expense!
  • I don't mind cowboy boots on the guys. When they're black and polished, they look like lots of other dress boots, since their pants cover most of it. 

On the girls, though... I don't know. It depends on the dresses and boots, but overall, I don't care for it. It just doesn't seem formal enough, even if it's a fairly casual wedding.
  • I'm from the country, and I'm not having a country wedding.

Most "country" weddings are just brides wanting what they think is a "rustic" wedding.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • I'm so glad I changed a lot of aspects about my wedding before I even came across this article. Even though it was things we genuinely liked, I'm so sick of seeing it. I don't think I'll use burlap on anything ever again (except my yearly fall wreath I do myself). Out of all the pictures, I liked the wildflower bouquet a lot and loved the mason jar chandelier. Other than that, it's very staged, theme-y and pinteresty. My girls actually wanted to wear cowboy boots but I nixed the idea. Their reasoning was pinterest makes it look cute. Plus 1/5 actually owns boots, and I knew cheap boots would be uncomfortable. So we're doing flats or sandals in brown, beige, or white.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards