Chit Chat
Options

Hair stylist has no contract ... huh?

I found a hair stylist I loved in the area of our wedding. She had a great portfolio, good reviews and was available on my date! Yay. I emailed her and she has been super responsive and awesome as I detailed how many girls would be having hair done, etc. Everything seemed good to go, so I asked for a contract and how much of a deposit she needed. 

She said she has no contract, but she has me down on our date and I can just pay her the full amount then. Um? Isn't this odd? Is it ok for me to respond and say I want a contract? Or offer to write one for us? 

Re: Hair stylist has no contract ... huh?

• Options
    I would be worried.

Respond that you really need a contract. If she refuses, then there's something shady, find someone else.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options

I, too, find this odd. As I get closer to my date, I have found that the contracts we have signed have actually given me a piece of mind. They not only provide me with all the information I will need and answer any questions I have, but they also protect me from flaky vendors. Contracts hold vendors accountable just as much as they do customers.

I would ask for something in writing. If not, I would probably look elsewhere.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If this person travels to you and specializes in wedding/special occasion styles, then I think I'd want a contract.  I used my regular stylist/salon for my wedding and didn't have a contract.
  • Options
    Huh. Come to think of it, I've never had a contract for a hair stylist. But I've always used people I knew. 
  • Options

I think it depends.  I had my normal stylist come for hair and makeup.  She brought 2 other girls with her, another for hair and one for make up.  There was no contract, I was just told ahead of time what the costs would be.  But I knew her and had been going to her for years.

• Options

Huh. Come to think of it, I've never had a contract for a hair stylist. But I've always used people I knew. 
    This. I'm getting my nails, hair highlighted, trimmed etc, hair styled, and make up all done by the same place. I just pay when I receive my service. No contract. Even my flower people don't have a contract per say, just a quote. Same with my cake person and cookies person.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Huh.

I'm not going to have a contract with my stylist or make-up artist. My stylist is the one I see regularly, and I just need to book the appointment. The make-up artist, who's very highly reviewed and recommended, just needed me to book the appointment as well.

Given that I'm all about contracts with other vendors, I'm a little surprised that I don't feel all that insecure about no contract with these two vendors.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I can see why one wouldn't be necessary if you're just booking an appointment somewhere, but this lady is going to be doing hair for 9 ladies in my hotel room so I just feel like it would make sense to have one in case she doesn't show or something.

I emailed and asked so we'll see what she says.
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I can see why one wouldn't be necessary if you're just booking an appointment somewhere, but this lady is going to be doing hair for 9 ladies in my hotel room so I just feel like it would make sense to have one in case she doesn't show or something.

I emailed and asked so we'll see what she says.
    I had a similar arrangement for my hair and make up. We had a contract. If you are making appointments at a physical salon, I don't think it makes sense to have a contract, but when you go to someone else, and they become dependent on you showing up- contracts are necessary to protect both parties.

It takes two seconds to google sample contract and another ten minutes to customize it to your needs. I think the lack of a contract is completely unprofessional and speaks to a person who doesn't know what she's doing from a business standpoint.
  • Options
    I don't have a contract with my stylist, but I am going to the gal that does my hair all the time, so I don't think its weird.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I used my normal stylist for my wedding, and I still had a contract. It listed who would be there (by name), and what kind of hair style they were getting (either an up-do or a blow-out, so she could figure out how much time to allot and how much to charge me).

Other than our DJ and our photographer, both of whom were personal friends, none of our vendors were contract-free. That would have been alarming to me.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    You know, I never thought about getting a contract with my stylist, and I only used her 3 times.

Once just to try her on for size and see if we clicked and if I liked her work (I went in for a cut/color with highlights and lowlights).  I did, so at the end of that appointment, I asked if she could do wedding hair.  She said yes, asked for an idea of what I wanted, and we booked a hair trial date and set the wedding date on her calendar.

I did my hair trial, liked it, took it home (after my bridal portraits) and asked FI what he thought.  He didn't like some aspects, so when I did my hair the day of the wedding, she made the subtle changes.

Voila.  She was the easiest of my vendors to work with. 
  • Options
    I didn't have a contract with my stylist. I went to my regular salon and just had an appointment. 
  • Options

As a hairstylist I never had contracts, usually because it was a group effort (myself and other stylists off-site with a large deposit), on site or an established client. The owner of my salon was also a lawyer so if a bride wanted a contract, he would've drafted one no problem.

I'm currently NOT in contract with my hairstylist or MUA and I'm not really stressing it. My MUA did my hair and makeup for our e-photo shoot so even if she was the only one who showed up, I loved how she did my hair for our e-pics and could work with it. We're in constant contact and have a hair and makeup trial scheduled for November. If nobody shows up the day of the wedding, I'll make it work, it won't be the end of the world for me. Worst thing is that I would have to do my own hair and go to MAC for my makeup.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Well she responded and said she was more than happy to draw a contract and totally understood. She mailed it to me, we signed, and I feel way better. Yay!

Interesting to hear the feedback about what people do/don't have contracts for. I think I have one for everything except the cake ... 
  • Options
    Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't have a written contract with my hair stylist or MUA but I'm not worried.  They both work for the most prominent salon in our city and have been used multiple times by my close friends. I do have things in writing (e-mail), but honestly if they bailed that day I wouldn't be devastated, I would make it work!

BUT, I would always reccomend a contract, and may ask my MUA and hair stylist if they would be willing to sign one each.  I would have a problem if they refused to sign, then I would find someone willing to agree to a contract.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have a contract for my hair stylist and makeup artist either. Just the email exchanges. I'm not too worried. If they don't show up, what are you going to do, sue them? My hair stylist I've been going to for years. And my MUA is highly regarded online. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards