Military Brides

How do you pick a date if fiancé is CURRENTLY serving in Marines?

Hi, we were looking to wait to get married until AFTER his first contract is up. He has recently decided to reenlist & possibly stay in for 8-12 years instead of his original 4. So, now we will be getting married during his active duty term. How can we choose a date in advanced (I want the big, white, fancy wedding) that won't conflict with his schedule? Is it possible to book in advanced!? HELP!!

Thanks so much!

Re: How do you pick a date if fiancé is CURRENTLY serving in Marines?

• Honestly, you have him go get the best schedule he can, talk with his CO, and then you just pick a date. Make sure he puts in for leave as soon as he can. I know a lot of people have picked around a holiday to make it a bit easier - we didn't go that route. I strongly recommend getting a military clause put into every vendor contract in case a deployment or training or something else comes up - that way you can move your date freely without losing your deposits. And we booked our wedding 1.5 years out before we even knew where he would PCS to. It's possible; you just have to stay flexible and prepared in case something throws your plans off. Good luck!
  • Don't have him talk with his CO. His CO has better things to do. Have him talk with his direct chain of command. His NCOs, his SNCOIC, or his OIC. 

MH is AD USMC (I'm in the Army but wasn't when we got married). We picked a date when he wasn't going to be deployed, and got lucky that some random TAD didn't ruin it all. As PP said, get a military clause with every vendor. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Don't have him talk with his CO. His CO has better things to do. Have him talk with his direct chain of command. His NCOs, his SNCOIC, or his OIC. 

MH is AD USMC (I'm in the Army but wasn't when we got married). We picked a date when he wasn't going to be deployed, and got lucky that some random TAD didn't ruin it all. As PP said, get a military clause with every vendor. 
    Meant NCO. Thanks for catching that!
  • My fiance is in the navy and we were able to get a copy of his underway schedule and picked a time that seemed like it would be easiest for him to take leave. But, in addition to military clauses, be very clear with your vendors about your situation. Everyone I've talked to has been very understanding that something may comes up and we could have to change the date. Also, get wedding insurance. There is liability and there is cancellation/postponement which will help cover any costs if you have to move your date around. Definitely worth the piece of mind when you know there's even the slightest chance something could change in his schedule. Good luck!
  • Broken record time (but it really can't be said enough) get a military clause with EVERY contract, and be completely up front with your vendors.

Definitely have him discuss it with his direct chain of command, that's crucial as well. 

Other than that, have him submit leave as early as humanly possible, say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed. 
  • My first marriage was to a Marine... We had everything set and got deployment orders after.. we had to move the wedding up... you just have to be prepared and have plan B and C... part of being a Military Wife. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards