Wedding Party

Pregnant bridesmaid

One of my bridesmaids just recently found out she's pregnant. My sister is making the dresses because we already had a hard time accommodating everyone's size/budget. We obviously want to make them in advance, but I have no clue how big she'll be in September. Has anyone else gone through this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pregnant bridesmaid

• Could she wear a dress in the same color? Just one off the rack? At this point she may not know what size she'll be in September.
  • It's kind of a difficult color to find. The dress can be made pretty simply..she made her first attempt "rough draft" in about a day. We do need to order the fabric all at once though, so I don't want to over or under quote her for how much we need from her.

I guess I can always just order the extra and swallow the cost. I don't want her to feel singled out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would order extra fabric and have your sister make this BMs dress as close to the wedding as possible so that few alterations would have to be done.

You should have extra fabric regardless because you never know how your BMs sizes may change between when your sister makes the dresses and when the wedding is.  Is your sister prepared to do alterations if they are needed?

• Could her dress be made as an empire waist dress? That would accommodate any growing belly and the top would be the only part that needs to be altered.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I was in a wedding where one of the bridesmaids was about 8 months pregnant, and I agree with the above.  The empire cut dress allowed her more room.  And maybe if you gave her a sash to tie it instead of having the waist made into her dress (I am NOT a sewer so I don't know the terminology for this) that will allow for less alterations?
  • What color are you using? Can we help find a dress for the pregnant BM?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    What color are you using? Can we help find a dress for the pregnant BM?
    Gah!! I was hoping you wouldn't be here today!! 

I mean, I'm glad you're here, but I wish your little man had come. :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • KatWAG said:
    KatWAG said:
    What color are you using? Can we help find a dress for the pregnant BM?
    Gah!! I was hoping you wouldn't be here today!! 

I mean, I'm glad you're here, but I wish your little man had come. :)
    I know! But at least I am not at work. I wont be around much today, I am determined to walk this baby out.
    Come out and play, Little Man!!! 
    Anniversary

• Have your sister make her dress as close to the wedding as possible, like the week before your friend could send your sister her measurements. Maybe she should get the other dresses done ahead of time so that your sister isn't overwhelmed in trying to alter a bunch of dresses last minute. Also, make sure you're okay with your friend having to buy something off the rack in case the maternity-ish dress your sister makes doesn't turn out well. I obviously don't know what your sister's skills are, but it can be difficult to have a dress that not only fits, but also fits well and flatters the pregnant belly. Your friend deserves to be comfortable and feel beautiful, even if it means she doesn't have the exact same dress as everyone else.  
  • Well as it turns out, she's not pregnant and just telling everyone she is. A whole other can of worms. Thank you for the advice though ladies :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Well as it turns out, she's not pregnant and just telling everyone she is. A whole other can of worms. Thank you for the advice though ladies :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I feel like there's a story behind this, so spill!!
    Anniversary

• Ok, that one's new ... around here ... I think ...
  • I'm confused myself. She's told me in the past that it's very hard for her to find out she's pregnant, like she needs a blood test after 2 months.. I never really questioned it, because I don't care. She recently told the family she's pregnant, I asked her if she took a test, she said no. She said they couldn't afford it, I offered to buy one, she declined. A week later she told me she did take a test, and it had a faint line. So yay, baby! I just recently found out that no one actually saw the test (including her husband) He doesn't seem to be aware of the fact she's pregnant, he's just telling people they're trying. I just really...don't...know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm not going to question her about it though, it's none of my concern. All signs are pointing towards she was hopeful she was pregnant, and kind of jumped the gun telling everyone. Now doesn't want to admit she's not. Either there will be a baby in 9 months or there won't. But she hasn't visited a doctor, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'd just have your sister do the other dresses now and then give the maybe-pregnant BM a deadline of, 'My sister needs your measurements by X date in order to make the dress in time for the wedding.'

If she's pregnant, the dress will accommodate, and if not, well, then, oh well.
    Anniversary

• After unplanned child number 3 with his wife, my cousin said he didn't want to get a vasectomy because he couldn't afford it.  But he can afford to have unplanned child number 4 and raise him/her for 18 years?  Yeah, we didn't get it either.
  • mysticl said:
    I'm confused myself. She's told me in the past that it's very hard for her to find out she's pregnant, like she needs a blood test after 2 months.. I never really questioned it, because I don't care. She recently told the family she's pregnant, I asked her if she took a test, she said no. She said they couldn't afford it, I offered to buy one, she declined. A week later she told me she did take a test, and it had a faint line. So yay, baby! I just recently found out that no one actually saw the test (including her husband) He doesn't seem to be aware of the fact she's pregnant, he's just telling people they're trying. I just really...don't...know.
    I have to say it.  If they can't afford a home pregnancy test how are they going to afford raising a child for 18 years?

That's the thing, they can afford it (who can't? it's a dollar..) ...I think this was just a cop out because she didn't want to take the test.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• weddingmcgee said:
    Have your sister make her dress as close to the wedding as possible, like the week before your friend could send your sister her measurements. Maybe she should get the other dresses done ahead of time so that your sister isn't overwhelmed in trying to alter a bunch of dresses last minute. Also, make sure you're okay with your friend having to buy something off the rack in case the maternity-ish dress your sister makes doesn't turn out well. I obviously don't know what your sister's skills are, but it can be difficult to have a dress that not only fits, but also fits well and flatters the pregnant belly. Your friend deserves to be comfortable and feel beautiful, even if it means she doesn't have the exact same dress as everyone else.  
    Yea, this should be possible. My sister's wedding is about a week and a half out, and my other sister and I just started sewing my BM dress today. Especially if it's a simple design, I would think it could be cracked out pretty easily. If she's made the other BM dresses first, she'll have practice making the style and I would think it would come together pretty easily.
  • Darn I was hoping that this bridesmaid was for sure pregnant because I'm sort of in the same boat.  All my bridesmaids had ordered their dresses last month, and this past Friday I found out one of my bridesmaids is newly pregnant.  Her dress is a size 2 and fitted.  She doesn't want to wear a different dress than everyone else so at this point I'm just playing it by ear.  We're waiting till her dress arrives for her to try it on and let a seamstress decide what size to exhange it for.  The salon is being nice and letting us exchange for another size or dress because of the circumstances.  At my wedding end of Sept she'll be 27/28 weeks.

SMH

ExerciseMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Um. They sell pregnancy tests at the dollar store. WTF.

Maybe she's prone to miscarriages? My stepsister had to go the frequent blood test route to keep confirming she was still actually pregnant. Maybe this girl just doesn't fully understand how that all works, took a test in the past and then miscarried and then the official blood test at the doctor came back negative, so she thought the test was to blame??

SS just had a beautiful lil baby girl. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards