African American Weddings

One Month Away!

minsu5minsu5 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited April 2014 in African American Weddings

Today, I am 1 month away from getting married, 1 month and 1 day before I graduate from law school, and 1 month and 2 days away from going to Curacao for my honeymoon. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I can’t wait for all of it to be over.

First, because April is the last month of classes, I have everything coming due on the 30th: one 25-page research paper, one lengthy memo, and one set of governing documents for a client. I’ve been squeezing wherever time I have on researching, writing, and editing my papers.

Earlier this month, I helped plan a new event at my law school. My clinic collaborated with a law firm to provide free legal services to local nonprofits. I was supposed to attend it next Saturday but I couldn’t. My great aunt passed away and I had to drive my father and uncle to the funeral…in North Carolina. So, last Friday and Saturday I drove 1,100 miles in less than 48 hours (Baltimore to Charlotte and then some).

Then, there’s my beloved FI. Right around spring break, my FI started questioning everything in our relationship. Were we compatible? We would still make it? We will keep each other happy in the long run? For about 4 weeks, our relationship went through an emotional rollercoaster that I’ve never experienced before. On top of that, he’s suffering from a severe allergic reaction that’s been bothering his nose since December. He’s irritable, I’m impatient, and we were clashing over dumb stuff.  And then, as if magic, we returned to a sense of normalcy. I don’t get it.

Finally, the wedding. We mailed our invitations, heard everyone’s excitement, and then got the slow crawl of RSVPs. We forgone mailing RSVP cards and instead used our wedding website. Our deadline was last week and only about 50% of our guests confirmed. Today, we’re at 73%. Some of my out-of-town guests couldn’t attend, so I used those extra slots to give some of my single guests a plus-one and invite a few of my law professors.

My wedding has been my happy place through all of my woes. All of the big decisions are done, dealing with the guest list was a lot easier than I expected (although I had a couple requests that were a little strange –I’ll save for a different post). Our original DJ had to cancel for health reasons, so we found a new DJ who’s not only cheaper but also more professional than any other DJ I’ve met. My attendants finally got their dresses and tux. Food tasting was freakin awesome. And, next Saturday, I’m taking off to attend my bachelor’s party in Philly during their gay black pride weekend ;-)

Now all I have to do is make it to the 30th in one piece.

I forgot to add one more thing: I recieved the clinic excellence award at my law school. Aboutt 150 students participate in the law clinics and the faculty may only vote for 2 students to receive the award. Me and my partner from last semester received it. Now, for every year in law school, I've earned an award or special recoginition. *happy dance*

Sunday, May 18, 2014 - Baltimore, Maryland

"Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever" - Audre Lorde

Re: One Month Away!

• Awww minsu5.. I am happy for you and I am glad that all that stuff coming together for you and congrats on the awards..

Daisypath - (PNE7)
  • CONGRATS HONEY.... Im super excited for you and everything thats coming up for you! Cant wait to see pics....

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• There's a lot of AWESOME in that post!  I can feel your excitement.  I'm really happy for you.  Enjoy your bachelor party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you soooo much!

• Dougie I can't believe it's finally here. The end and the beginning of all things!!  Your post was ugh.  I don't know how you've gotten through all the pressure, but here's what I do know - pressure makes diamonds.  ;)

I love that you ain't pay all his questions and carrying on at this stage of the game any mind. Bowing my head in gratitude cause I think Jesus might've saved a bruh's life right there. lol!!

Congratulations on everything, I can't wait for your sign off (wait, this isn't it is it???) recap and the pictures and ooooh, I wanna screenshot of that J.D. Mr. Groomie, Esq.    psssh, had me on the floor at 25 pages of research paper.   You did great!!!  mwah!

• Dougie I can't believe it's finally here. The end and the beginning of all things!!  Your post was ugh.  I don't know how you've gotten through all the pressure, but here's what I do know - pressure makes diamonds.  ;)

I love that you ain't pay all his questions and carrying on at this stage of the game any mind. Bowing my head in gratitude cause I think Jesus might've saved a bruh's life right there. lol!!

Congratulations on everything, I can't wait for your sign off (wait, this isn't it is it???) recap and the pictures and ooooh, I wanna screenshot of that J.D. Mr. Groomie, Esq.    psssh, had me on the floor at 25 pages of research paper.   You did great!!!  mwah!

sultryzulu KNOWS HOW TO PUT WHAT IM THINKING IN WORDS LOL.... 

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• Whoa!  You've got it going on there sir.  Congrats on your accomplishments.  I am already claiming you as a law school graduate.  :-)  Teh 30th will be here and gone and then it is on to your "I DO's" and fun, fun, in the sun.   WooHoo!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• misstira said:
    sultryzulu KNOWS HOW TO PUT WHAT IM THINKING IN WORDS LOL.... 
    awww.  is that a super sweet way of saying I run my mouth too much?  lol.   true story. 
  • That's alot on anyone's plate! did you originally plan it like that? At any rate, congrats on the accomplishments and your 30 day count down!!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • This post gives me life. You are my inspiration. Now back to you sir. That's awesome and congratulations on all of that. It is really coming together and you are going to be so relieved when you take off on that honeymoon. Looking forward to the updates in the next month.
    hallunscripted.blogspot.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • minsu5minsu5 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    You know before this month was over, I caught a terrible sinus infection. Figures. I'm so glad its finally May. All I have to do is finish my paper by tonight and complete my three exams next week. My finance is taking care of some of our wedding chores in the meantime. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!

• You are some kind of amazing and your future husband has to be equally as amazing! Keep pushing honey! Best wishes to you both, can't wait to see your recap!
  • how did i miss this? OMG Congrats on everything.... 
    i cant wait to see pics of the suit lol 
    i hope you feel better from the sinus infection 
    you are at the finish line... time for the victory lap :) 
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards