Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor ceremoney

Is it worth the time and the money to have chairs set up for our outdoor ceremony? I assume it will only be like a 15-20 minutes long tops. And then the reception is at a hotel. Also any feedback on a back up plan? Our wedding is June in Gloucester, Massachusetts and June is usually the rainy time. I was thinking a tent. but that is costly with set up and everything, Any suggestions?

Re: Outdoor ceremoney

• Yes! Your guests would very much like a place to sit. Remember that they'll often arrive early and some ladies will wear heels. You want them to be comfortable so they can enjoy your ceremony.

For backup, can you have your ceremony at the hotel? Or ask the tent rental company when you can cancel your rental. We reserved a tent for our wedding but were able to cancel it a few days before when we got the weather report.
  • I would agree that you need chairs/seats. Not everyone is you ng and can stand well for the time required.
  • Yes.  No matter how short the ceremony might be, every guest needs a seat.
  • Yes and get the back up plan.     Either a tent or have the ceremony at the hotel in the event of rain. 

Singed, 

the girl who wanted a beach wedding and ended up having a tented ceremony due to a tropical storm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you plan to use the hotel as your rain plan and you dont end up needing the conference room or ball room that you reserve wont you just miss out on that money that you used to reserve that space?
  • raeah219 said:
    If you plan to use the hotel as your rain plan and you dont end up needing the conference room or ball room that you reserve wont you just miss out on that money that you used to reserve that space?
    Isn't lost money better than having to cancel an outdoor wedding when a freak thunderstorm rolls into town?

To avoid the risk of lost money, OP could always plan to have her ceremony in the reception space cabaret style in the event of bad weather, since an indoor reception is planned anyway. That way a back up plan is in place but doesn't cost any extra.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lost money is a risk inherent in having an outdoor wedding. You really need to be prepared for the worst, or risk having an incredibly stressful wedding. Proper planning prevents poor performance.
  • yes. every butt needs a seat for your ceremony.  If you don't think so, do this. Get dressed up, do your hair and makeup and put on your heels. And then go stand in your backyard in one spot for 45-60 minutes.  No walking around. Just stand there.

Even for a 15-20 minute ceremony, people typically will arrive 15-30 minutes early. So, you are asking your guests to stand up for up to an hour.  It's incredibly rude.

• raeah219 said:
    If you plan to use the hotel as your rain plan and you dont end up needing the conference room or ball room that you reserve wont you just miss out on that money that you used to reserve that space?
    Risk you take having an outside wedding.  

It was sunny and 80 degrees the day before my wedding.   Boys all had a hugh golf outing.   The day after my wedding is was also 80 degrees and sunny.   Wedding day?  60+mph wind driven rains.  It rained all.day.long.     That is why we had a backup plan. 

In our case the tent was needed for the reception so we go married under the tent.  The staff had more work to turn the room from a ceremony to a reception.    It might be possible for her venue to have some sort of setup like that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It truly depends on your guest and how you present the information. If you do not have seating at an outdoor wedding and people do not show up because of that reason, then they did not need to be there in the first place. If it is a casual 15-20 minute wedding, then no, seating is not required. When you send out your wedding invites, make sure that you include in the details that it will be a stand-up wedding so that they can dress appropriately. Seats can be provided for those who need one. If it is a formal wedding, then yes, seating should be provided. People will stand in line for an amusement park or event for an hour or more, standing to see their loved one get married should be an exception as well. 
  • Tac1106 said:
    It truly depends on your guest and how you present the information. If you do not have seating at an outdoor wedding and people do not show up because of that reason, then they did not need to be there in the first place. If it is a casual 15-20 minute wedding, then no, seating is not required. When you send out your wedding invites, make sure that you include in the details that it will be a stand-up wedding so that they can dress appropriately. Seats can be provided for those who need one. If it is a formal wedding, then yes, seating should be provided. People will stand in line for an amusement park or event for an hour or more, standing to see their loved one get married should be an exception as well. 
    You're wrong. If I received an invitation that clearly said there wouldn't be seating, I'd still attend, but I'd be annoyed and uncomfortable. I have an invisible condition that makes it painful for me to stand for a long time, although I look normal from the outside. In fact, I can't go to amusement parks or standing-room only events for this very reason! 

It's just polite to give your guests a spot to sit. If they're comfortable, they'll enjoy your ceremony so much more. And really, isn't that what you want?
  • Tac1106 said:
    It truly depends on your guest and how you present the information. If you do not have seating at an outdoor wedding and people do not show up because of that reason, then they did not need to be there in the first place. If it is a casual 15-20 minute wedding, then no, seating is not required. When you send out your wedding invites, make sure that you include in the details that it will be a stand-up wedding so that they can dress appropriately. Seats can be provided for those who need one. If it is a formal wedding, then yes, seating should be provided. People will stand in line for an amusement park or event for an hour or more, standing to see their loved one get married should be an exception as well. 

No. This is horrible advice.
  • Tac1106 said:

To the first bolded:  Seating is ALWAYS required.

To the second bolded:  Unless you are talking about a comedy club, there is no such thing as a stand up wedding.

To the third bolded:  Anyone and everyone invited to the ceremony will need a seat.

When I go to an amusement park, I am dressed for the event.  I have on casual clothes and comfortable shoes.  Why in the world would you compare a wedding ceremony to a trip to Six Flags?
  • Tac1106 said:
    No. This is absurd. Please don't dole out advice like this again. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Tac1106 said:

Ugh, what shitty advice.

• Tac1106 said:
    What the ever loving fuck? This is the worst advise.

You need to have a seat for every single guest at the ceremony. And you need a back up plan if it rains. End of story. 
  • Great discussion. Defiantly having seating.
  • gemi17gemi17 member
    First Comment
    Ordered chairs last week,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards