Wedding Woes

Ok. Who had a shower?

Re: Ok. Who had a shower?

• Wedding shower?  My bridesmaids planned it. 

It was couples/family shower.  They rented a picnic shelter at a park and we cooked out.  
  • My 3 aunts planned a shower for me.  I also had a work shower at a co-worker's house.

I get what you are saying, Nola.  As a MOH, I would plan a shower.  As a bride, I didn't expect anyone to plan one, though I knew my aunts would (they did it for all of us).
  • edited May 2014

Taw, that's it. None of my friends or family asked me to throw them a shower. I did because I wanted them to have one. Nobody has to offer to host a shower, but I don't know why they wouldn't say, "hey, I'm going to invite a few of your friends over to celebrate your upcoming marriage with cake and punch."

Isn't the purpose of the shower to celebrate the bride getting married?

• I had to give Kuus a love it for that one.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I had three.  My sister/MOH hosted one.  My MIL hosted one.  My sMIL hosted one. 
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I had a few wedding showers...
    My mom and aunt planned my family shower, however, my sister-in-law/bridesmaid was listed as the host to avoid an etiquette faux pas.  Shhhhh... don't tell anyone.
    My boss and assistant planned my work shower.
    A family friend planned a shower for me at my mom's church.  (Another faux pas, as most of the people that were invited to the shower were not invited to the wedding - but that's the way things are done at the church and my objections were ignored.)

Baby showers...
    My aunt hosted my baby shower at my mom's house (so really it was my mom and aunt who were planning it)
    My boss hosted my work baby shower at a BAR.  Just keepin' it klassy.
  • 0Face0Face member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I had one, a couples shower.  I can't remember who hosted, probably family---don't remember.  IL's maybe. 

My friend; her MIL is hosting.  I am throwing the bachelorette party for her as I'm the MOH.  Woo.
  • MIL hosted both wedding and baby shower - majority of the guests were family, friends of ILs, and a few of my friends. I knew this was a given when DK and I got engaged - the first time I ever met MIL she was showing me pictures of cakes that she wanted to make for a future wedding shower (wink, wink).

One of my coworkers and my boss planned a wedding shower in the office. It ended up being a massive party - basically our entire department was there. i was really surprised since i hadn't been there that long before I got married. (~6 months). It was incredibly sweet of them. 

I didn't have a work baby shower - I was KU during the time when I was moving from Philly to Houston and many of my Philly co-workers had been laid off. 

I co-hosted several work showers. We'd usually ask the people who were coming to give a few dollars to offset the cost of a catered lunch. The hosts would organize, buy decorations, make desserts/sides/etc. and get a group gift for anyone who wanted to chip in. 
  • I had two bridal showers.  My aunts planned one and invited family on my side, my friends and DH's sisters.  DH's sisters planned one in his home town and invited his relatives and my mom.  No work shower as I was gainfully unemployeed at the time.
  • I requested no shower, and although the moms were cool with that, my coworkers insisted and I had to go out to dinner with them on my day off. It was tasty, but I don't like being the center of attention so it made me very nervous.

• Taw, that's it. None of my friends or family asked me to throw them a shower. I did because I wanted them to have one. Nobody has to offer to host a shower, but I don't know why they wouldn't say, "hey, I'm going to invite a few of your friends over to celebrate your upcoming marriage with cake and punch."

Isn't the purpose of the shower to celebrate the bride getting married?

Unfortunately, that's how some people are.  You might be giving and generous, sadly it doesn't mean that translates to others.  :( 

There can be other factors are play, no doubt.  Person A assumes Person B is planning it, while Person B assumes someone ELSE has it covered, when in reality, no one's got it.  Perhaps people are worried about the cost of hosting one.  Who knows.  :(
  • I had 2. One at my parents house for my relatives up north. My mom planned it. I know, faux pas but whatev.

The second was here in FL. It was a disaster, but that was because I was a disaster. My MIL and bridesmaids planned it.

Both were surprises. And I HATE being surprised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards