Registry and Gift Forum
Options

NWR: PhD gift

We're a party celebrating a friend of FI's who completed her PhD in something medical (drawing a blank on the specifics). She's crazy impressive- a single mom of 5 who worked full time while in school! They both grew up in a rough area without a lot of happy stories so FI is super-excited about her success.

The party is being hosted by her parents and kids and the invitations are impressive- fancier and more expensive than our wedding invitations!

We want to her her a gift but have no idea what's appropriate. In my family, we'd just go with a ridiculous bottle of champagne but FI tells me it isn't appropriate for her.

Any ideas on what to give? I've only met her a few times so I don't know her taste and, while FI wants to be thoughtful, he's clueless!

Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NWR: PhD gift

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    A single mom with 5 kids would probably be thrilled with some down time.  Can you arrange for babysitting for her?  Can you gift her a "day" or night by way of offering sitting and gifting either a day trip or night out?  

Is there something she needs for the work she will be doing?  Does she need a killer briefcase type bag?
  • Options
    That's a good idea! I know that a couple of her kids are high school age so she might not need babysitting but we could definitely give her a gift of a night out- a gift certificate to a nice restaurant or something like that.

I have no idea about the job. She's so busy between work, school and family that I don't know her well and FI wouldn't know who to ask. My first thought was a fancy engraved business card holder (I got one as a business school graduation gift and loved it) but we have no idea who to ask about what she has.
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    As someone who's also about to get a PhD I'd love a killer boss lady bag as PP suggested for interviews and such. A spa treatment or restaurant gift card would also be great--basically anything you know she wouldn't spend money on herself but would enjoy having.
  • Options
    @aray82- congrats on your PhD!

Those are all great ideas! Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    When I finished my phd, I received a few business related things that I appreciated, such as a leather folio, business card holder, nice pen etc. I use these so much at conferences and lectures, they're great! I also like the spa or restaurant idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards