Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

How much alcohol to order for Rehearsal Dinner

melbensomelbenso member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
FMIL is hosting our rehearsal dinner, which will be a cook out at our venue.  Rather than host a full bar, we wanted to pre-order a set amount of beer and wine to have available for our RD guests, so that we are considerate of her budget (She will agree to spend anything, but we know her finances are tighter than she lets on.)

The rehearsal dinner/socializing will last about an hour and a half and we expect between 35 and 40 guests of drinking age, almost all of whom are light to moderate drinkers.  We'd likely do two types of beer (one lighter and one darker) and two wines (one red, one white).  Guests would be about 60% beer drinkers and 40% wine drinkers (best estimate).

How much do you suggest we order so that guests have enough to drink but we don't have tons left over?

Re: How much alcohol to order for Rehearsal Dinner

• Options
    I'm clueless, but glad you asked the question because our RD sounds quite similar (little smaller) and I'm curious to know the answer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    So I used the drink calculator here, but flipped the percentages to match your guests' preferences.  Assuming your rehearsal dinner stays around 2 hours, it looks like it's recommending 10 bottles of wine and 72 servings of beer.  On the one hand, that seems like a lot, but on the other... not so much.  I'd see where this puts you budget wise and then make the adjustments that make the most sense for your group.  For example, I could see counting closer to 2 drinks per person than 3 if your crowd doesnt' have a history of drinking a lot.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I've heard the general rule of thumb is one drink per guest per hour, 40% wine and 60% beer (so that's right along what you were guesstimating). Will your guests be pouring their own wine? Each bottle should be 5 glasses, but it tends to be more like 3-4 when it's self-pour. That's like Tostitos claiming there are 9 servings in a tortilla chip bag. Try again buddy, that's 2 in my house. They're the devil's chips, I tell ya!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards